PUREONE BETA RATES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In response to my request, here is what Purolator states its beta rate is on the PureONE:

Hi Katrina,

Here are the Beta Ratios for the PureOne that was requested.
Below I put the standard beta ratio chart for comparison.

Micron 5 = B4.8
Micron 10 = B50
Micron 15 = B1000
Micron 20 = B1000
---------------------------------------------------------
Standard
You would typically see
Beta Ratio Efficiency
2....................50%
10....................90%
20....................95%
75....................98.7%
100....................99%
200....................99.5%
1000....................99.9%
----------------------------------------------------------
Using the standard ratio numbers here is our PureONE.
(> = greater than; µm = microns)

B2 = below 5 µm
B10 = 6.69 µm
B20 = >8 µm
B75 = >11 µm
B100 = 11.42 µm
B200 = >13 µm
B1000 = >15 µm

I hope this isn't too confusing.

Once again, I don't get a wall of secrecy from Purolator when I need answers. Their beta rates are yet another reason why I only use the PureONE! Does anyone have this data on the Amsoil/Mobile 1/Royal Purple filters?
banana2.gif
20.gif

6.69 micron....................90%
>8 micron....................95%
>11 micron....................98.7%
11.42 micron....................99%
>13 micron....................99.5%
>15 micron....................99.9%

Is that right?

Guys like SuperBusa and Gary Allen are the sharpest at this. I don't think you have it exactly right as Purolator says 99.2% efficient at 15um, 92.8% at 10um, and 51.3% at 5um. Honestly, I do not know how to use the math.
blush.gif

15 microns 98.7% for the Amsoil EA

ISO 4548-12 Is what they are using. I don't know what the other specs are Maybe Gary or Pablo.........? The Pure One is what I use when I don't have the right EAO filter.

Last edited:
Micron 5 = B4.8
Micron 10 = B50
Micron 15 = B1000
Micron 20 = B1000

5um and greater = 79.2
10um and greater= 98%
15um and greater= 99.9
20um and greater= 99.9

These are exceptional numbers. Not matched by high end incredibly expensive filters from Donaldson that Purolator doesn't even make.

20 Series Particulate removal spin-on filters. 3.69" diameter. Two lengths available (5.27" and 8.64"). Three media grades (10 micron paper, 25 micron paper and 7 micron fiberglass). 100 psi pressure rating. Buna N gasket, 1" - 12 UNF threads. For detailed information, request bulletin #20/21-5/01-2K or download PDF brochure.

http://www.purolator-facet.com/pdfs/spin2021.pdf

You can't buy a FL1A sized hydraulic filter from them at that micron rating, let alone a static spec for a much dirtier automotive environment.

http://www.purolator-facet.com/hydrau4.htm

This is too fantastic to be quite right.

SHAMUS - from the other thread, you showed the info below (in your quote), which was apparently also from Purolator.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
Filtering Efficiency: BELOW AVERAGE?

PureONE:
25u - 100%
20u - 99.9%
15u - 99.2%
10u - 92.8%
5u - 51.3%

In your original post in this thread, I'm a little confused on what part of the info is directly from Purolator, since it starts off "Hi Katrina" ... who is the gal at Purolator that provides this stuff. What info is from Katrina?

Here's the info you showed in the quote above, but converted to "Beta Ratio".

u -- Beta Ratio -- % Efficient
25 -- infinite -- 100.0
15 -- 1000 -- 99.9
10 -- 125 -- 99.2
5 -- 2.052 -- 51.3

Correction to what I posed above (time limit expired for editing of above post).

u -- Beta Ratio -- % Efficient
25 -- "infinite" -- 100.0
20 -- 1000 -- 99.9
15 -- 125 -- 99.2
10 -- 13.8 -- 92.8
5 -- 2.052 -- 51.3

This conversion was done by using the filter efficiency as a function of Beta Ratio formula of:

(B-1)/B x 100 = % Efficiency

B = Beta Ratio in formula above.
The above formula is from the Filter Counsel Tech Bulletin, and used in industry to describe % efficiency.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I like the pure one also but i was always a little concerned about flow rate

From what limited data I've seen, the PureONE flows just as good or better than any other high efficiency filter.

This is relative data, and you can see that the PureONE is up there with the others in terms of less flwo restriction than some others listed.

pi_filt_oil_gold_coldoil_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear this. I saw in an article today that the PureOne and Bosch both have the most filter area. :)

This is from one of the Purolator engineers responding to Katrina. She did not have the data I was asking for so she sent my email to their tech dept. Yes, both the effieceny ratings (microns) and the beta ratios are from Purolator, just sent at different times. The engr tech's name is Brian Crawford at Purolator.

"This is too fantastic to be quite right." - Gary Allen.

Well, email them for yourself. Again, the engr's name is Brian Crawford. I suppose it is possible the tech has a typo in his reply to Katrina (?).

Last edited:
I may...but just subject it to common sense practical review.
Why ..or even HOW COULD Purolator market a variable size filter in a VERY DIRTY automotive environment with spec's that can't even be matched by their own industrial (clean) hydraulic offerings?

The two environments aren't even in the same league for loading potential.

If this is "true" without some oddball qualification ..then you've got a magic filter. Donaldson, Wix, Champ would love to be able to trump their own exclusive filters by just rebranding Purolators and selling them at the premium that they already get.

Forget SYNTEQ ..forget Stratapore ..there's a new sheriff in town ..and it's a $5.99-$6.99 Purolator that can be the size of a teacup (PH3614) or an FLIA filter and it will last over any OEM service length regardless of application.

Purolator PureOne's are a great filter ..I'd say for those not requiring the open end bypass valve ..just about the best bang for the buck to be had.

..but this is something that is just counter to common sense in the entire filter industry.

I'm not a real stickler for efficiency, flow rate, or even by-pass pressure differential. But I do need a good ADBV in an oil filter for one of my vehicles, and the Pureone ADBV is tough to beat. All this other stuff is just icing on the cake.

Then, by all means, call them out on it! All on this site should email them asking to verify the Beta ratios. If they're wrong, it would be great to find out where and how. COME ON GEARHEADS - CALL THEM ON IT!! (But what IF! What if the given ratios are correct?)

W ! O ! W !
crazy2.gif
shocked2.gif
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, I sent him an email. I'll see what shows up. I also linked him to the discussion.

Depending on the answer Gary receives back from the gentleman, this could change BITOG as we know it.

I wait with great anticipation for history that is about to be made.

Originally Posted By: SHAMUS
This is from one of the Purolator engineers responding to Katrina. She did not have the data I was asking for so she sent my email to their tech dept. Yes, both the effieceny ratings (microns) and the beta ratios are from Purolator, just sent at different times. The engr tech's name is Brian Crawford at Purolator.

I got ya now ... makes sense. So the engineer at Purolator says:

B2 = below 5 µm
B10 = 6.69 µm
B20 = >8 µm
B75 = >11 µm
B100 = 11.42 µm
B200 = >13 µm
B1000 = >15 µm

Since they claims in their advertisements that the PureONE is 99.9% efficient to 20 microns (Beta Ratio 1000), then I can believe that is could be 99.9% efficient to 15 microns assuming they have CYA themselves with their advertising claim.

Originally Posted By: BimmerMan
6.69 micron....................90%
>8 micron....................95%
>11 micron....................98.7%
11.42 micron....................99%
>13 micron....................99.5%
>15 micron....................99.9%

Is that right?

That's how I'm reaing it based on the info from the Purolator engineer's info shown in quote below:

Quote:

Beta Ratio Efficiency
2....................50%
10....................90%
20....................95%
75....................98.7%
100....................99%
200....................99.5%
1000....................99.9%
----------------------------------------------------------

B2 = below 5 µm
B10 = 6.69 µm
B20 = >8 µm
B75 = >11 µm
B100 = 11.42 µm
B200 = >13 µm
B1000 = >15 µm

In summary:

50% = B2 = below 5 µm
90% = B10 = 6.69 µm
95% = B20 = >8 µm