Router for decent $$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am looking for a router that is decent for a decent price. Maybe through Tiger Direct. I want to have the desktop plugged in and be able to use the wireless laptop.

I should add I am on Windows XP on both.

Thanks Pat

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Am looking for a router that is decent for a decent price. Maybe through Tiger Direct. I want to have the desktop plugged in and be able to use the wireless laptop.

Thanks Pat

I was a Linksys WRT54G wireless router Kool-Aid drinker until now. I have had two of them and use XP and Vista. With each OS, this model drops connections all the time and is very aggravating. I googled this model and apparently it can be a fussy router, although it is very popular.

Next time, I'll go with another brand.

I used to use this one before I got one built-in with my current ISP's offering:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q...um=6#ps-sellers

Worked really good, and the interface wasn't too bad. Much easier than the SMC Barricade I had before that. Plus if you have a Nintendo Wii or DS, it has built-in support for it. I got it for $50 at Best Buy a few years back, but I'd imagine you can find it cheaper now-a-days.

I've had excellent service from a few Linksys WRT54GL routers on a fiber line. Anything else I tried could not keep up with the speed.

I've got a Netgear that I'm going to be selling if you are interested. It was my Brother in Laws and he passed away so my sister wants me to sell it. (I put in a Linksys for her since that is what I know and have to trouble shoot it if needed 800 miles away)

Take care, bill

Asus is freakin' awesome and even better with DD-WRT on it. I have a thread on BITOG that shows me running it for an insane amount of days without a reboot because it's so fast/stable.

I thank OVERK1LL everyday for sugguesting this to me.
thumbsup2.gif

Thread is here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1459379

I have had great luck with Linksys routers. No dropped connection issues after I set the DNS server addresses up manually in the router.

Tigerdirect and Newegg have great prices.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I have had great luck with Linksys routers. No dropped connection issues after I set the DNS server addresses up manually in the router.

Can someone explain about this DNS server manual entry business?

I notice that whenever my connection drops off and I use Vista to try and negotiate it again so it will work, it will often say, "Windows is diagnosing problem..." then it says, "Cannot communicate with primary DNS server".

All the while my connection icon is active and windows tells me that my wireless connection is good to go.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

I notice that whenever my connection drops off and I use Vista to try and negotiate it again so it will work, it will often say, "Windows is diagnosing problem..." then it says, "Cannot communicate with primary DNS server".

All the while my connection icon is active and windows tells me that my wireless connection is good to go.

I haven't had this problem, but I know VISTA can be nightmarish to try and network and communicate as such. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

Try sending a PM to OVERK1LL, he is a network engineer and a great guy at that. He should be able to answer your question.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I haven't had this problem, but I know VISTA can be nightmarish to try and network and communicate as such. BEEN THERE DONE THAT.

Try sending a PM to OVERK1LL, he is a network engineer and a great guy at that. He should be able to answer your question.

Theanks StevieC! I'll drop him a line.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
[censored] i want DD WRT too on my WRT54GL, but the instructions are scary !!! seems complicated, and i don't wanna brick my router!

Asus routers are easier but the Linksys isn't bad I did a 54GS just fine.

Well for my DSL connection I used these:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/14663

Then I put these into the router.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
[censored] i want DD WRT too on my WRT54GL, but the instructions are scary !!! seems complicated, and i don't wanna brick my router!

Asus routers are easier but the Linksys isn't bad I did a 54GS just fine.

I like easier.......

I've replaced probably 5 or 6 dead Linksys routers, or various ages and models within the last 12 months with ASUS ones.

I've had TWO dead ASUS routers, both WL-500W's, both seemed to have failed from the same issue..... The wireless card died.

I was able to revive the one, put DD-WRT on it, and it works as a normal (non-wireless) router.

That is the only model I've had ANY deaths with. The biggest seller for me has been the WL-520GU, which has been PERFECT, and I have a LOT of them out there. They are also readily DD-WRT flashable.

The RT-N11 is also fantastic, offers N-speed, but is not currently supported by DD-WRT at this time due to its chipset. Not an issue if you just plan on using the (VERY easy to use) stock ASUS firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back