POR15 EQUIVALENT BY RUSTOLEUM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a product or combination of products by Rustoleum that can do as good a job or better than POR15 standard paint.

I'm looking at this so far:

7400 System Heavy Duty Rust Inhibitive Primers

And then can I just top coat with a cheap Dem-Kote.

does it have to be rustoleum? Eastwood rust encapsulator may be a good option too.

Hi JH - It should be Rustoleum or Dupont, as I have good pricing on these brands. For example Rustoleum offers:

V7400 ALKYD ENAMELS
V6400 ALKYD ENAMELS
9400 HIGH GLOSS POLYESTER URETHANE

I just don't know what POR15 actually is.

Tom - I'll be painting metal in the engine bay of a 93 Maxima. Some of the metal is rusted so I'll grind as much away with wire wheels, and I have something called Rustoleum Rust Reformer, but someone told me POR15 is better.

The Rustoleum Rust Reformer is a waste of time and money. I've used por15 but have not decided if it works like it says it does. I heard rust bullet works good.

Warstud your right, rust reformer does seem like a waste. See my post in the Mechanic Maintenance forum about it.

Tom, I'll look into those. I have access only to the industrial line. I have some dem-kote stuff in stock but it's much cheaper in price than the rustoleum stuff. I'm wondering if it's [censored] - why it's so cheap.

Please see my post in the Maintenance/Repairs forum.

I have limited knowledge about painting over rusted metal and have tried rust reformers with varying results.

If you spend an hour googling rust converters, you will find a half dozen research reports that shoot holes in the claims made by rust converter companies. Most seem to be made with phosphoric and/or tannic acid. There seems to be a few new arrivals that claim to be non acid and safe. I am yet to be convinced that these products live up to their claims.

Here is one link that puts a different slant on the topic. It talks about paints that are designed to be put over rust vs. regular top coats. See his list.

http://www.engineeringanddesign.com/1/037.htm

Most primers/paint are designed to go over clean metal. Have you read the labels of the Rustoleum products you mention to see what they recommend for pre-paint prep?

The only Rustoleum product I know that advertises for rust application is their Rusty Metal Primer:

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=25&SBL=1

Good luck, and please share with us if you learn anything new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back