What Do You Drain Your Oil Into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 09rexwagon
I have the same one as the OP but purchased at AZ many years ago...the drain lid doesn't leak like a lot of people say about the Blitz one. I do have two gripes: BuickGN nailed it with the oil spray from the center hole because let's face it, you lose the center plug after the first use. . . .

Ah, but wait. The new version (you'll understand why I own it in a moment) has a little "T-thingie" on the bottom of that center plug. It allows you to unscrew it, but not actually remove it all the way from the drain hole. That's a good thing. A few changes back, I had the drain bolt slip from my hand, and fall so as to perfectly plug the drain hole. With very hot oil rapidly submerging it, I had no hope of getting to it. As I've posted before, you can put the rest of this sorry story together yourself. . .
frown.gif

I change my oil in the early evening. I let the oil drain for about 15 min into a plastic oil colection pan. I then pour the oil (using a funnal) into a empty, plastic, water jug....as soon as I take away the oil collection pan, I replace it with a small collection container and leave it all night. Next morning there is usually about another cup to 10oz of dirty oil in the small collection container that I let the oil drain into all night. I dispose of my oil at Kragen Auto Parts store.

I cut the bottom off a 5 gallon bucket. LOL

It works perfectly.
grin2.gif

And then I pour it into a 5 gallon bucket with a lid on it. When it's full I just take it to the city recycling center and pour it into their container.

I drain mine into a small 8qt pan first, so I don't have to jack the car up. Then, I drain that pan into my 15qt Blitz style pan.

a nice big round pan that you get at Wally World, and then transfer from that into a nice big 12qt. jug that i also got at Wally World, then to the local garage that has a nice furnace, so they heat their place for free.

I drain it into an 8 quart pan, then I dump it into a 5 gallon bucket. When the 5 gallon bucket (with a lid) is full, I dump it at the local repair shop so they can recycle it.

21KVE7F8FPL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

+1000. The one the OP posted is so shallow you get splashes...I threw mine away Anyone that has a Subaru with a very large drain plug will know what I am talking about.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I've got this one:

7833798.jpg

And then I put the used oil in the container the new oil came in.
That's the one.

The spout fits into a 1-gallon milk jug so you don't even need a funnel to transfer the oil.

Al, you were right. The pan was a bit on the shallow side so I did get a slight splash, but it wasn't too bad.

However, I experienced a more puzzling and troubling problem with this pan. It has a 15 quart capacity, so I filled it with about 12 quarts and drove over to the Kragen down the street to dispose the oil.

I got about 1/2 mile down the street and the spout starts dripping oil onto the car's carpet. The container wasn't even full! The breather valve, center hole and the drain spout were all closed. I still can't figure out why it leaked-- maybe it was a bump on the road? Either way, to those of you who own one, I guess it may be a bad idea to fill the container nearly full if you plan on transporting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back