hemi tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rabbler
I thought the tick was due to the special lifters the MDS system uses.

Nope. MDS arrived in 05 for some and then 06 for the rest. The 5.7L HEMI arrived on the scene in 03 and so did the tick. What MDS is famous for is making aftermarket exhaust systems sound awful when it kicks in.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like a fact of life for Hemi owners. I'd bring it in have it documented and then drive the truck. Sometimes when swapping out parts to try and resolve a known issue the dealer screws something else up. The less they touch the truck the better, unless there is something definately wrong with it.

I can't imagine spending 40,000 on a truck and having to live with a noise like that. But I am starting to get use to it. I had the same problem with the 4.7 and don't they differ in regards to engine style sohc, pushrod

Originally Posted By: renos09ram
I can't imagine spending 40,000

I can't imagine spending 40,000 for a truck either. LOL

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Just for the heck of it I went to Yahoo and typed in new hemi tick and there are pages and pages about this problem....

"Problem" is not really accurate. If it was related to some sort of failure or if it was obnoxiously loud...maybe. On mine, you can hear it, but it's no louder than a lot of fuel injectors that I've heard in the past.

Well whatever it is there sure are a lot of people complaining about it....

Yeah, I've seen the beatching about it on the Mopar forums, but I've yet to see any convincing evidence that there's anything actually wrong other than people not liking the sound. Life's too short to worry about something so trivial (as I sit here watching folks kvetch about a 1ppm change in their UOA numbers. :)

Too bad they did not do the search prior to purchasing one....If it was me I would have passed on it...

To each his own. "The tick" doesn't bother me in the slightest. It is barely audible at idle. I can't hear it at all at WOT (where the 5.7L likes to live).
wink.gif

Now if they could just find a cure for the wife tick....first chocolate cured it, then dinner, then jewelry...it just keeps adapting...kinda like the Borg.

I have an 06 Hemi Ram 1500 (with MDS) with no tick. I have used 5-20 (factory fill), 5-30 Amsoil, and 0-40 M1 and Napa Gold filters.

My son has an 06 Hemi Ram 1500 Mega Cab (without MDS) and he has a tick. He used the same oil and filter as I do.

It was on the Dodge Forum that said in a poll they took that a certain % of Hemi's tick. Lots don't.

I have come across some articles that believe the EGR valve could be the source of the tick - but no one knows for sure. My Hemi has about 3 different ticking noises - but it runs like a rocket and is always reliable. I think its just the nature of the beast.

Originally Posted By: RTBandit
I have come across some articles that believe the EGR valve could be the source of the tick - but no one knows for sure. My Hemi has about 3 different ticking noises - but it runs like a rocket and is always reliable. I think its just the nature of the beast.

If you put on a Cold Air Intake that requires removing the HEMI Hat( box/intake resonator that says HEMI on it on your TB )you do hear the EGR tick. However, if you have the stock HEMI Hat on it muffles the EGR ticking and you don't hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back