Is Nissan Matic S a Synthetic ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan matic J has been replaced with Matic S and the price has jumped a bit. Is this newer fluid a sunthetic? Does anyone know what prompted the change? I searched on the forum but with no luck.

Thanks in advance!

I get the same "impression" that it is a syn product. But bought some today to do my second drain and fill of the auto tranny. The parts guy at my Nissan dealer said "No, I don't think it is synthetic." But it was obvious he did not know thios as a fact. They no longer carry Nissan matic J, by the way. I am trying to find some real definitive information of this fluid so i know what it is I am using.

I get the impression that it isn't.

Hopefully, the improved cold flow, improved fluid life, along with less high temp breakdown....means better basestocks and additives.

Nissan doesn't 'recommend' the word 'synthetic' ever. Fools!

At least it isn't fluid for the GT-R.
LOL.gif

UnDummy, where did you find info on cold flow, less high temp breakdown, etc? I have been trying to find such information.

Research their 7 speed transmission and why "S" was developed and what is addresses.

I'm glad that they replaced J. Too bad they couldn't back spec to D(cost would offend anyone wanting Matic-D).

Group 1+ might be considered highly refined when compared to group 1.

Any move up the group ladder is a benefit. Whether its a GIII, II+, II or a blend of those is unknown. Highly refined is all but meaningless. The horse next door fertilizes the grass with highly refined food. The "S" in Matic-S stands for $#!T.

The consumer is getting raped by the cost of these OE fluids. Gestapo control at the dealer parts department is alive and well. What happened to freedom of choice? and available performance specs that any oil brand can blend to?

I convinced a dozen people to avoid certain new Nissans since it requires special oil that can't be bought anywhere but the dealer. Avoid manufacturers that don't give you a choice.

Actually, with my dealer discount coupon, I paid about the same as I would for Mobil 1 ATF or a similar product. While higher than regular ATF, it isn't in the $15/qt category! But I agree with you on these "special" oils and fluids.

I just looked up the MSDS on Mobil 1 ATF suitable for use where Matic J is required. The pour point is -41C while the Matic S is -42C. Not sure how significant this is but it looks like a close equivalent in that regard.

I have no idea, but can tell you that the following fluids are Nissan compatible

Royal Purple synthetic ATF
Mobil 1 synthetic ATF
Amsoil ATF
BG Synthetic ATF

Don't let the dealer tell you differently. Several Nissan dealers use BG products.

I have been running BG in my Titan for the past 35k and have had no issues.

I priced this at a Nissan dealer and they said it was $16.95 a quart. I asked him 3X if he was sure that $16.95 was correct?!
Ridiculous. I'm going to use M1 at less than 1/2 the cost and I know it's a full synthetic.

I don't suppose anyone knows the drain and fill capacity on a 2005 Frontier?

I would take it to a shop that will do a proper fluid exchange. Talk to your independent shop, tell them you will bring your own fluid and they should be able to do it.

Yea, it is silly that the dealer would charge that much. I know you can get the Amsoil or RP for about 10 a quart.

Also check out BG find a shop

Let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
I checked my receipt. With my discount coupon, cost about $8/qt at the dealer. Your dealer is ripping you off!

^Not in general really becasue their oil filters (Nissan OEM) were only $5.50 each...but yeah, the ATF price was nothing less than outrageous.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
I priced this at a Nissan dealer and they said it was $16.95 a quart. I asked him 3X if he was sure that $16.95 was correct?!
Ridiculous. I'm going to use M1 at less than 1/2 the cost and I know it's a full synthetic.

I don't suppose anyone knows the drain and fill capacity on a 2005 Frontier?

Do you have an automatic mated to the V-6? If so, I got nearly 5 quarts out of the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back