Manufacturer Recommended Oil Change Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the more severe service, i.e. short trips, etc., my previous vehicle - 2004 Chev Cavalier, recommended 5000Km (approx 3000 mile) oil change intervals using 5W30 oil. My present vehicle, a 2009 Mazda3 recommends 8000Km (approx 5000 miles)using 5W20 oil. I've been wondering if other manufacturers are recommending longer change intervals as well?

VW recommends 10k w/ synthetic oil. Ford recommends 7.5k oil changes with normal oil. GM vehicles have an OLM which can run up to 8k or more. Honda OLM can go up to 10k.

I may be mistaken, but I think Nissan is the lowest with 3,750 miles between oil changes.

Oils are getting better and there is more emphasis on the environment, so I would think so.
But more are putting in calculations in the computer and recommending that you go by computer. Although the dealer told me to forget the computer in my daughter's Odessey and go in every 3000 miles. He said computers don't know anything.

The dealer here says 5000 km (about 3000 miles). My computer came on at about 5500 km on the way home Sunday.

Heard from a guy that an attorney had a case where an engine blew... under warranty..

Dealer accused customer of not following computer and not re-setting it after previous oil change..no receipts..somebody at dealer reset it to "0" after the fact. Data was recovered from memory chip on this car.it showed that computer was malfunctioning...customer probably ran it the full 20,000+ miles...who knows...settled out of court..customer got new car...plus legal fees and damages.

Won case on the basis that customer should not have access to reset feature of oil computer... Dealship should then provide oil & filter and change free of charge.

Manufacturer did not want a verdict in court to this effect...

Bottom line is that intervals and receipts still rule.

Last edited:
My 2001 Honda recommended 3750/7500 mile OCI's for severe/regular. Our 2003 recommended 5500/11000 miles. Wow. Our 06 has a maintenance minder system that will definitely be over 10,000 miles no matter what.

On the other hand, our Highlander was specd for 7500 from 2001 to 2003, and the same engine from 04-07 is only specd for 5000 miles.

Depends on make I guess, but they are getting longer. Especially european makes.

I bought my subaru in minneapolis minnesota, to save a few bucks.
the US manual says 7500 MILES per oil change. The CANADIAN manual says 3750 MILES. Maybe Canada is by definition severe service, and oil change interval is in half. I would not take chances with a nice vehicle, that you paid a significant amount of money for.
5000km. interval for a car in Canada, is LOTS. My brother actually swears by 3000km intervals. I would say: do it every 4000k, and change the filter every 8000k. Get oil on sale at Wally World, your oil change will cost you 12$ + tax, plus a filter every other time. of course it also depends on whether you are driving a lot on the highway, or city. city driving is harder on the oil for the same amount of miles, because the engine revolutions is more per mile. easy highway driving is easy on the oil, but some canadian highways are quite high speed, which also does stress the oil, so it depends also on how you drive, the ambient temperatures, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spudislander
For the more severe service, i.e. short trips, etc., my previous vehicle - 2004 Chev Cavalier, recommended 5000Km (approx 3000 mile) oil change intervals using 5W30 oil. My present vehicle, a 2009 Mazda3 recommends 8000Km (approx 5000 miles)using 5W20 oil. I've been wondering if other manufacturers are recommending longer change intervals as well?

For severe service (city driving, short trips) the best recommendation has always been 3000 miles OR 3 months, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. We motorcycle riders learn (sometimes the hard way) that short trip riding is the most severe oil stress there is and can really destroy an engine rapidly. I am told the problem is that when the engine is run without letting the oil get up to full temp, the condensation products that form in the engine don't dissolve well into the oil. These products are sulphurous and can form acid which eats up the engine from the inside. Motor oils have specific additives to neutralize these products, but it requires the oil get up to operating temp to work well. The buffering additives get "used up" as they neutralize acidic compounds. The bottom line is, if you do a lot of short trips: dump the oil after 3 months or 3k miles or you could be screwing up your engine. Some bike owners have destroyed their engines doing the "start it once a week and run it for five minutes" thing during the winter when they don't ride it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb

On the other hand, our Highlander was specd for 7500 from 2001 to 2003, and the same engine from 04-07 is only specd for 5000 miles.

Didn't the 2AZ-FE go 5W20 in 04 too? Maybe that's why.

Just a hunch, but Toyota did have sludge issues with a few of their engines. Maybe they're being a little more conservative now, even with engines that didn't have a sludge history. Why take chances?

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
the US manual says 7500 MILES per oil change. The CANADIAN manual says 3750 MILES. Maybe Canada is by definition severe service, and oil change interval is in half. I would not take chances with a nice vehicle, that you paid a significant amount of money for.
5000km. interval for a car in Canada, is LOTS. My brother actually swears by 3000km intervals. I would say: do it every 4000k, and change the filter every 8000k. Get oil on sale at Wally World, your oil change will cost you 12$ + tax, plus a filter every other time. of course it also depends on whether you are driving a lot on the highway, or city. city driving is harder on the oil for the same amount of miles, because the engine revolutions is more per mile. easy highway driving is easy on the oil, but some canadian highways are quite high speed, which also does stress the oil, so it depends also on how you drive, the ambient temperatures, etc.

What part of Canada are you talking about... Temps where the majority of people live are the same as northern US. I have many UOAs on here during winter time with excellent results with 7000kms or more on the oil, and the UOA shows I could have gone much farther.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
the US manual says 7500 MILES per oil change. The CANADIAN manual says 3750 MILES.

You might want to reread the manual. I had Subaru bought in US and the manual said 7500 MILES normal service and 3750 MILES severe service.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Just a hunch, but Toyota did have sludge issues with a few of their engines. Maybe they're being a little more conservative now, even with engines that didn't have a sludge history. Why take chances?

Yes, Toyota scaled back from 7500 regular service and 5000 severe service to 5000 across the board when they realized (via sludge incidents) that people were confused about what service they should follow AND that not all oil used in US meet the quality standards (I suspect quick lube places cutting corners).

no issues with 7500 mi OCIs for over 160k in a toyota 2.4L.

So much has to do with how one actually treats and uses the engine. Respectful and gentle, youre set. Mash the go pedal, anything will sludge and fail early.

Just to add a little to the conspiracy... Last year we bought an '08 Fit and I was a little concerned about going the distance ~7500 miles following the minder on the car. I took the car to the dealership to get the oil changed about 2 weeks ago and noticed that on the flier they are using synblend oil for their changes. This was a Honda dealership in Houston. I think that maybe either Honda NA or the dealership are little concerned about making the distance also, and want a little insurance on their oil choice. Just my observation.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1 My dealer even told me this. They took the 3750 intervals to 5000 and the 7500 intervals to 5000 so all are supposed to be the same. Toyota wants all oil changed at 5000 or earlier now. I guess they don't want a repeat of the sludge issues. But my dealer did tell me that even the new motors will sludge if you extend the OCI's and they have seen a few after idiots ran factory fill past 10,000.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IcebergS2000
Just to add a little to the conspiracy... Last year we bought an '08 Fit and I was a little concerned about going the distance ~7500 miles following the minder on the car. I took the car to the dealership to get the oil changed about 2 weeks ago and noticed that on the flier they are using synblend oil for their changes. This was a Honda dealership in Houston. I think that maybe either Honda NA or the dealership are little concerned about making the distance also, and want a little insurance on their oil choice. Just my observation.

Don't look to much into it. They probably used a Conoco/Phillips oil. Their syn blend is usually cheaper then the other guys pure dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back