Is bigger really better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy on JU tested the finned clamp on cooler (cooler collar
54.gif
) and found that it actually resulted in hotter temps. He did get reduced temps with using a thermal grease.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
54.gif
) and found that it actually resulted in hotter temps. He did get reduced temps with using a thermal grease.
Kind of like how Ford ignition modules of the 90s have to have thermal grease to mount on the heat sink. Interesting.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
54.gif
Kind of like how Ford ignition modules of the 90s have to have thermal grease to mount on the heat sink. Interesting.

Or a CPU needs it to mate properly to a heatsink.

the difference between my twin turbo stealth and non turbo is the addition of a oil cooler which increases the amount of oil. yes the turbos are oil cooled and the oil cooler helps, i guess we should ask the guy who stayed at the holiday inn express last night..

Last edited:
Having more surface area as a filter is a great idea. Its like have a bigger furnice filter it will take more dirt to clog it

I have dual spin-on fuel filters for my boiler. One look at the sponge type after a mere 1000 gallons passed through it was enough for me to upgrade.

I run the BIGGEST filters I can fit on everything I drive. You wouldn't believe how cool a Chrysler Town & Country looks while up on a lift with a FL299-class oil filter on it. I also use these on our Explorer, F250, Toyota Pickup and Kubota tractor.

I call it "undercar bling."

thankyou2.gif

Anyone have the part number for the high capacity oil filter for the standard Chevy small block? I used to know it off the top of my head on any given day but im getting old I guess. I can even use the fram number and cross it over.

Fram PH5/ ACD PF1218. Has the antidrainback valve, don't need it for a SBC, but my inline 6 sounded better on cold starts with one, and the price was the same as the regular one (pf35?) so one size fits all makes it handy.

Alex.

Ooh, I love this thread. Big filter, it is. So you guys fill up your filter with oil before screwing it onto the car? I've never pre-filled the filter, and it wasn't mentioned in the two oil change tutorials I've read, one from a book. Will pre-fill next time. All the little tricks you learn on BITOG!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Bigger filter = slower flow thru the media = better filtering?

That's the best reason I've heard so far for using a bigger filter. Otherwise, I see no reason especially if your filter is mounted upside down or sideways; in which it would be better to use a smaller filter to build pressure faster on a cold start.

If the bigger filter has more of the same media, the flow through it in a unit area will be slower, but more total flow which means more flow to the bearings and less bypassing if any.

Smaller filters often have as much or more media than larger ones and could have better media.

I always thought that a larger oil filter was better(probably is for most situations), until I bought my 04 Nissan Altima 2.5S. It does not like the larger oil filters at a cold start up. The timing chain sometimes rattles even on warm start up(using a larger oil filter). Although this particular vehicle is known for it's timing chain rattling even as the car is driven down the street for the first 2 minutes in colder temps, larger oil filters weren't helping for my situation. So, I stayed with the thimble size oil filters that are recomended and have heard less noise with start ups and cold weather start offs til the engine warmed up.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I always thought that a larger oil filter was better(probably is for most situations), until I bought my 04 Nissan Altima 2.5S. It does not like the larger oil filters at a cold start up. The timing chain sometimes rattles even on warm start up(using a larger oil filter). Although this particular vehicle is known for it's timing chain rattling even as the car is driven down the street for the first 2 minutes in colder temps, larger oil filters weren't helping for my situation. So, I stayed with the thimble size oil filters that are recomended and have heard less noise with start ups and cold weather start offs til the engine warmed up.

Amen to that... I also had the same problem with my 96 LX450 (Aka Landcruiser) until the genius Toyota Engineers with their infinite wisdom, changed their 30+ year old design and came up with the smaller 90915-2002 filter (the predecessor to the 90915-2004 filter)..... All of the sudden with the smaller filter all of the cam and engine rattles went away during cold start-ups.

for certain engine types there is something to be said for the smaller type filters, as long as the engine is designed for that type of filter.

Also overall, with the overall improvement of almost all motor oils in the market, do you really need those big, bulky filters.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have the same phenomenon with my 03 2.5 Altima, didn't know what it was for a long time. Then I started to read on other boards and the web and surmised that it was the chain. I've never used a larger filter so for me it's only been really noticeable in winter(cold), and gone after the engine/oil is warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back