How to dispose of contaminated oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142

The dump won't take it, city wont take it, auto parts stores wont take it.

Do you know the city doesn't take that, or are you concluding that based on what you were told on "amnesty day".

The amnesty event you went to may not take oil, but your dump's hazardous waste depot may. All of the local regions/countys in my area of Canada have household hazardous waste centers at the dump. They have a sometimes-enforced 20L per visit limit, but other than that they'll take nearly anything you throw at them. They will empty out my opaque black drain pan - doubt they check much. They'll also accept any jug or 1L container without even looking at it when you tell them it's motor oil.

It's a sad day when the most powerful nation on earth forces their citizens to pour their used oil in a hole in their backyard instead of collecting it in a controlled manner from households for proper disposal/recycling without a fee.

Maybe you could start by moving it to non-transparent containers...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

Do you know the city doesn't take that, or are you concluding that based on what you were told on "amnesty day".

The city does not take it. I took it in on amnesty day hoping that they would but no luck.

I have 2 plans. Have a fire out in the desert and boil the water out, then take it in for recycling or leave it at one of the auto parts stores that burned my boss last winter.

Kinda help him get even
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: cmhj
Make sure if you're leaving it someplace after hours they don't have outside security cameras.

good point, none of the auto parts stores here have cameras. but hey "i was just dropping off used motor oil" which is the reason i would use if questioned by authority. and then i would explain to authority how autozone has a drop off program!

their are never arrests in my area for dropping off used motor oil (after hours)! especially when the store has a drop off program! i see all kinds of oil dropped off (from overnight) when i arrive first thing in the morning at autozone. nobody there seems to think twice about it. mike

Chris, you might put a valve in the bottom of an old 10-20 gallon container, then fill that container with your mix. Then let it set for a few days and drain the watery [censored] off the bottom with the valve.

Siphon the uncontaminated oil off the top of your 5 gal jug using a piece of cheap plastic hose making sure the end doesn't wander around and make a mess as it drains, then refill the jug with all the smaller containers and let that settle for a week, then siphon again.

The final bit of glop can be allowed to settle for another week and then put in the freezer so the water won't move. Then drain off the oil from the top.

I'm not sure what to do with the glop.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Does this site help any?
http://www.sbcfire.org/hazmat/hhwcollection.asp

This is where I went.

APPLE VALLEY
22411 Highway 18
Apple Valley, CA
1st & 3rd Saturday 10 – 2

The site says.

The amount of waste transported does not exceed 15 gallons or 125 pounds. Container volume must not exceed 5 gallons.

The waste is in its original container or is properly labeled as to its contents.

Mine was in old gas cans mostly. Maybe if I wrote "USED OIL" on them?

the 15 gallon limit is a DOT regulation for transporting hazmat over the road, nothing to do with the collection site. They are just giving you a warning.

I would think a toe tag that says "used oil" would be sufficient, when you are dropping off containers they need to know what's in them when they work with them later.

I've dealt with the local waste authority and they have the same rules.

Filter the oil through a bypass filter then burn it in your big truck. That is what my boss did when there was contaminated oil the recycle guy would not pick up. Or get some grease sweep and soak up the oil in it, a couple gallons at a time then throw it in the garbage can each week.

Strange, I've been dumping my used oil at autozone for over 12 years. they never dump it for me. I always have to do it. but the last time I went, they are locking recycle tank now and asking your name and how many quarts you are recycling. they unlocked the recycling tank, but they didn't watch me pour it in. so what use was that?

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Siphon the uncontaminated oil off the top of your 5 gal jug using a piece of cheap plastic hose making sure the end doesn't wander around and make a mess as it drains, then refill the jug with all the smaller containers and let that settle for a week, then siphon again.

The final bit of glop can be allowed to settle for another week and then put in the freezer so the water won't move. Then drain off the oil from the top.

I'm not sure what to do with the glop.

Mix the remaining glop with cat litter and dispose of it in the trash.

You could use it to rejuvenate the asphalt in the front of the hazardous waste pickup location that turned you away.
27.gif

I was thinking about this dilemma today as I was doing a tune up on a vehicle. I know I should get a life.

There's more than just a little irony in his story. His dad was trying keep from contaminating the soil and perhaps ultimately water by saving his used/contaminated oil.

But now he can't dump his contaminated oil because it's contaminated with water.
crazy2.gif

I've got no answer, but I hope there's some solution rather than dumping it in the ground.

Drill a hold in the cap. Force a length of soft, clear plastic tubing through it. Keeping the end of the tubing high, turn the jug over and let the water and gunk settle to the bottom. Lower the end of the tubing until it runs out. Life it up when oil starts to come out.

I would put the water and gunk out in the sun in a shallow pan. Once the water is gone, put what is left in the garbage.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Originally Posted By: cmhj
Make sure if you're leaving it someplace after hours they don't have outside security cameras.

good point, none of the auto parts stores here have cameras. but hey "i was just dropping off used motor oil" which is the reason i would use if questioned by authority. and then i would explain to authority how autozone has a drop off program!

their are never arrests in my area for dropping off used motor oil (after hours)! especially when the store has a drop off program! i see all kinds of oil dropped off (from overnight) when i arrive first thing in the morning at autozone. nobody there seems to think twice about it. mike

I wouldn't even give the security cameras a second thought. I've gotten rid of many gallons of used oil this way, never had a problem. If you're really worried about, drop it off near the back door of AAP during day business hours, when no one is around if it really bothers you. Or put the oil in solid colored bottles, bring it to the counter and tell them you have waste oil. Don't elaborate. The guys around here could care less, they're more worried about getting off from work.

I guess there is no easy way to get rid of the water, one way or another it's gonna be a PITA.

I would use two pans (one for water gunk and the other for oil) or something larger, but with a wide opening. Put them side by side and simply puncture a hole at the bottom of the container.
Let the water form the bottom drain into one container, and move it to the next once oil starts comming out. I know it will destroy your current containers but at this point there aren't many options left.

It will still be a PITA, but it's just another idea.

BTW. It is really a shame that in a country that is regarded as a "superpower" you have to struggle so much to do the righ thing.

Last edited:
I talked with the guy that picks up our used oil, antifreeze and services our solvent tank.

He left me two 55 gallon barrels..........$200.00 per barrel to dispose of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back