1994 Mazda 626 - running ARX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunny,

Anything new to report? Are you into the rinse phase? Your mileage seems to be up a tick. Motor top ends take longer to clean up when compared to rings and crank bearings.

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Sunny,

Anything new to report? Are you into the rinse phase? Your mileage seems to be up a tick. Motor top ends take longer to clean up when compared to rings and crank bearings.

Nothing new to report at this point in time. Not driven much over the last few days. Just short trips in town. I think I have another 350 miles or so to go, before I go in to the rinse phase. Once I do that I will post an update.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Short trips, cold oil not good. Extend your cleaning phase with some long hot runs.

Most of the miles that were put on in the cleaning phase were highway miles. It's only the last few days that I have been driving in town. I should be in to the rinse phase sometime next week.

An update - I will be going in to the rinse phase tomorrow morning. I took the valve cover off and figured out that the car still has the original timing belt on it, and the water pump too maybe. So tomorrow morning I will have those changed and then go in to the rinse phase.

Another 200 miles or so and my first rinse phase will be done. The car will have about 129K miles by the time the rinse cycle is done. The lifter noise is still there and the car still blows blue smoke, on some days. Unlike other users - the oil never did change color to really dark. I still have about 2 bottles of ARX at home and I might as well use them.

Should I do another Clean/Rinse cycle? I will be doing a lot of driving over the next few weeks. Also if I go to the maintenance dose and use Mobil 5000 oil, how many miles is recommended will I have to go between oil changes?

Thanks

I would suggest a second full cleaning and rinse mode as you had previously done. Then go on to the maintenance dose with for the normal OCI based on motor oil you choose.

Any difference in the lifter tick when you went onto the rinse phase, with the new filter installed?

The spotty blue smoke on cold starts would make me think that there is a stem seal that is either still glazed up or compromized. You may or may not seep oil into a combustion chamber depending on where the cam comes to rest when you shut her down for the day.

Oil was changed this morning. ARX was added. This is the second clean cycle.

Lifter noise is as loud as ever. No change at all. Blue smoke is seen consistently. A little less on warmer days.

Cheers

Which oil

I believe this to generally be THE question. Oil choice seem so very critical. I wonder what oil people are using. I haven't been able to find a single oil that meets the requirements completely. What do you recommend?

Easy as no ester or PAO. Pennzoil Platinum Euro Formula 5W40 (rebadged Shell Helix Ultra 5W40) is whay I use.

The ZDDP in Helix Ultra does not come in an ester? Or when you say "no ester," does it mean "as little ester as possible"?

There are nonpolar esters. If I had to bet, I'd say that the ester ZDDP comes in is nonpolar, which would allow the blender the choice of whether or not they wanted their oil to have polar properties or not, rather than the additive supplier deciding for them.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
There are nonpolar esters. If I had to bet, I'd say that the ester ZDDP comes in is nonpolar, which would allow the blender the choice of whether or not they wanted their oil to have polar properties or not, rather than the additive supplier deciding for them.

Beliefs don't count. Are there any professional tribologists who can comment?

Originally Posted By: moribundman

Suppose they tell you something. What if you don't believe them?
Do non-beliefs count?
54.gif

48.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: moribundman

Suppose they tell you something. What if you don't believe them?

Do non-beliefs count?
54.gif

48.gif

If a professional, an expert in the field, tells me that the esters in which ZDDP come are non-polar, then I have no reason to doubt that claim. If a layman makes such a claim, I cannot accept it as fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back