NAPA 3003 Fuel Filter as PS Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
How much pressure if any is in the return line?

I asked this question sometime back (might not have been on this Forum) regarding my '92 Lumina. The consensus was typically not a whole lot of pressure exists in the return line.

Every one that I've seen is a zero pressure return line. There's nothing to develop pressure over. It's a straight hose with an open end. If the hose was a mile long, some pressure may be developed at the far end.

..but it's like a pressure washer pump. Run it through a .020 nozzle ...plenty of pressure. Take the nozzle out ..gentle stream of water with no velocity.

I don't know how long I'd keep it in service ( as in, "like I don't know
54.gif
" ).

I would be concerned that the heat would affect it (ie. make it brittle) over time...you have already placed some stress on the barbs by looking at the pictures (the one appears to be flexed) and may be a failure point.

I would definitely consider using the metal-cased version, but the plastic version...if it breaks, your cheap filter just cost you a $$$ pump...

I decided to give it a try in my truck. Took it for a test run and it handled the heat well, considering that I have exhaust headers installed.

0702091543-00.jpg

0702091543-01.jpg

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I decided to give it a try in my truck. Took it for a test run and it handled the heat well, considering that I have exhaust headers installed.

Thanks for the pics. I suppose time will tell. Keep us posted.

When you check out the quality of the plastic, the heat concern is not so much. I don't think it really runs that hot anyway. I'll try to hit mine with the IR to get a temp reading. The hotter it gets, the better it'll flow anyway.

This has to be one of the most cost/effective and easiest mods ever.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
When you check out the quality of the plastic, the heat concern is not so much. I don't think it really runs that hot anyway. I'll try to hit mine with the IR to get a temp reading. The hotter it gets, the better it'll flow anyway.

This has to be one of the most cost/effective and easiest mods ever.

I'm not sure what the temps would be, either. I do find it interesting that every Volkswagen AG product I've seen has a PS hard-line running behind the grill, with cooling fins all the way along its length, though.

Some years back I monitored the PS temps in a diesel Blazer with Hydroboost. I tested in a whole range of conditions using an infrared heat gun on the pump housing and box, and a temp sender in the pump reservoir. In summer, 90-95F, just cruising @ 70, the reservoir ran 130F. City, about the same. Four wheeling in rocks around 193 degrees. Hit 227F a coupla times and started to see adverse symptoms like foaming, buzzing and loss of assist. Might be an apples to oranges comparison but I thought it might be useful to inject. In the end, I went to a synthetic PS fluid and a cooler to solve the problems.

I'd say that it will tolerate under hood max temps under low pressure. Schedule 40 (iirc) CPVC 6" pipe has a 500+ burst strength @ 70F ..it degrades quickly from there as temp climbs.

As long as this was serviced often enough ..or otherwise didn't get loaded enough to produce more than 10psid (what would not be uncommon with a mechanical fuel pump with some safety factor-like 2:1) ..then it shouldn't be a problem. Beyond that, who knows?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I'd say that it will tolerate under hood max temps under low pressure. Schedule 40 (iirc) CPVC 6" pipe has a 500+ burst strength @ 70F ..it degrades quickly from there as temp climbs.

As long as this was serviced often enough ..or otherwise didn't get loaded enough to produce more than 10psid (what would not be uncommon with a mechanical fuel pump with some safety factor-like 2:1) ..then it shouldn't be a problem. Beyond that, who knows?

Not to mention the metal cased version mentioned above.

This really is a great idea for people like us who look after their cars.

For people more neglectful, they can pay a bit more for the privilege and get a bypass valve. The Magnefine, which has the bypass valve and the more proven Nylon 66 housing (Tested to 350 degrees for 3000 hours at 100 psi, per Magnefine, as well as up to 302 degrees at 100 psi for a shorter period).

All you need to carry is 4" of line and or a spare filter and fluid if you were really worried. I assume the unit is ok'ed to normal underhood temps about 175-200f.

I would think that it can easily tolerate those temps too. The only factor that's hard to account for is any pressure that may build within/behind it when it may be weakened. I'm not normally a "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" ..but figured it was worth the tossing it out there for consideration.

Max temp I got on the Accord is +135f. Hardly a deal-breaker. The reservior is a hair hotter than the filter.

I'm just concerned about flow thru a fuel filter using gasoline vs. power-steering fluid,mainly in cold weather.I went out and bought the NAPA steel version but am still concerned about the above condition.

PSF is not about flow, it's about pressure. The reservior (in) line is the low pressure part of the circut. If I tried to put this thing on the high pressure end, it would be another outcome.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
PSF is not about flow, it's about pressure. The reservior (in) line is the low pressure part of the circut. If I tried to put this thing on the high pressure end, it would be another outcome.
Yes but there must be flow at low pressure to complete the oil circuit.That's what I'm concerned about.Trying to flow oil thru a gas filter.

ATF should flow just fine ..hot or cold. It's almost invisible to most filters compared to any motor oil. It's obviously not as thin as gas and will surely move at higher volume.

I'd have no worries about a metal one. Nor would I at @ 150F+/- ..probably higher with a plastic one. They're cheap enough to carry another one around with you. The low pressure hose on my jeep is 5/16" trans cooler hose ..good to 300F and 200+ psi, iirc.

Originally Posted By: Greaser
I chickened out and put a Magnefine in the power steering return line..
27.gif

Smart chicken. Safe chicken. While it seems like a really good idea, we really don't know how this will work long term, and no doubt someone reading these missives will go with a filter that's not up to snuff and have trouble. We're also a little unclear on how much junk there is in PS fluid. If the filter loads up too quickly, there's no bypass to save the day.

Does anyone know how much filter media there is in this fuel filter (or any fuel filter)?

The Magnefine has 49 square inches rated at 35 microns and they recommend a conservative 30K miles in trans use. That might be a useful benchmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back