6.4 Ford sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
If it is Amsoil, I would contact them regarding their warranty...

Why??? The HDD 5w-30 is not the oil recommended by Amsoil for use in the 6.4. The 2008 6.4 requires a CJ-4 diesel oil which would be either the DEO 5w-40 or DME 15w-40 from Amsoil.

Engine Oil
Grade 1......CJ-4
Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil
Premium API CJ-4 Synthetic 15W-40 Diesel Oil
32 to 122°F......10W-30
Above 68°F......15W-40
Above -4°F......5W-40
Under 50°F......0W-40, 0W-30

Is this the add pack of the HDD 5W-30?
Calcium 1709
Magnesium 63
Phosphorus 733
boron 5
Zinc 816

The calcium, phosphorus, and zinc numbers look a little weak to me for a HDEO.

Originally Posted By: nutsbolts
letter sent to warranty claims at FORD with all proper documents.
the wheel turns so slow, my bills pile up, no truck=no work!

If my Ford Truck is my Bread and Butter Truck I would be changing my oil Before or at least The Recommended OCI that Ford Says.

If you did that they probably would have caught that coolant leak or any other problem that might be occurring.

How could they catch a coolant leak?
seriously HOW?
The oil looks fine when drained.

Ford will not fix a problem before it becomes a problem think about it.
It has to fail before it is a problem.
Javier

Last edited:
SlammdS15 on here (International Mechanic) had the EGR cooler go on his 6.0L a few months back. He had some coolant contamination, but nothing substantial.

The differences:

He still runs the manufacturer's OCI

He runs a diesel-grade of oil; Delvac 1 5w40

No sludge or engine damage occurred during the time the leak started and was discovered.

There is much to be said for keeping with an oil and OCI that are known to work well together....

As others have stated, if you had kept with Ford's spec'd OCI, you likely would have been fine for two reasons:

1. The oil would have been changed frequently enough as to prevent the sludging from occurring.

2. The coolant leak, once discovered would have readily been covered by Ford.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
SlammdS15 on here (International Mechanic) had the EGR cooler go on his 6.0L a few months back. He had some coolant contamination, but nothing substantial.

The differences:

No sludge or engine damage occurred during the time the leak started and was discovered.

There is much to be said for keeping with an oil and OCI that are known to work well together....

As others have stated, if you had kept with Ford's spec'd OCI, you likely would have been fine for two reasons:

1. The oil would have been changed frequently enough as to prevent the sludging from occurring.

explain how oil changes would prevent the sludge build up?
when the oil drains the sludge stays put.
I went and seen the sludge, it aint draining out.
fresh oil with coolant still contaminating the oil will not prevent formation of sludge.
Javier

Last edited:
Sludge happens when the additives in the oil , Dispersants and detergents get overpowered by crud and fall out of suspension.

Loss of Dispersancy and Filter Plugging
The acids and water that form in crankcase oil as a result of coolant contamination will often disrupt soot dispersancy, even at low soot loading. Fleetguard reports “75 percent of filter plugging complaints from customers involved coolant or moisture in the crankcase.” Once soot begins to dump, a chain reaction of associated failures can result, including loss of antiwear protection, sticky sludge on valve deck surfaces and carbonaceous deposits on ring grooves, piston crown lands, valve train components and oil ways to bearings, etc. If the problem is not identified, the oil is often changed without a system flush (described later in the Procedure for Cleaning Glycol from Engines section). The chain reaction then gains new life as the detergents and dispersants coming in with the new motor oil can mobilize the sludge and deposits. Then, within minutes after an oil and filter change, the new filter can become plugged again. Following is the summary of this chain reaction:

1. Coolant leaks into the crankcase oil.

2. Acids and precipitants form as the glycol, coolant additives and lubricant additives react.

3. These insolubles begin to plug the oil filter.

4. Concurrently, the acids and water disrupt soot dispersancy causing a dumping condition. More sludge and insolubles form.

5. By now the filter is plugged with the glycol transformation by-products and coagulated soot.

6. The oil and filter are changed (typically around 15 percent of the old oil remains, either in the oil pan or occluding to engine surfaces). The new oil (with detergents and dispersants) mobilizes the soot and the sludge, carrying it to the filter.

7. Once again, the filter becomes plugged (even with the coolant leak fixed).

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

The differences:

explain how oil changes would prevent the sludge build up?
when the oil drains the sludge stays put.
I went and seen the sludge, it aint draining out.
fresh oil with coolant still contaminating the oil will not prevent formation of sludge.
Javier

Quite simple:

With continuous fresh oil in there, the contamination levels would likely not have gotten high enough to form the sludge in the first place.

Remember, when you change the oil, you are taking the suspended contaminants out WITH it.

Regardless of oil brand, change interval,etc. This boils down to a defect in this particular 6.4 motor. Maybe if UOAs were done every 5000 mi. They may have shown a trend toward coolant contamination.
What if they didn't. What if a defective gasket let go 500 miles ago? This is clearly a defect in the motor, not the oil. Ford is just trying to make it hard on you so you will give up. Don't let up on them.

By running the oil longer than the Ford recommended change intervals you gave Ford an "out" when it comes to engine warranty no matter what the cause of the failure.

The 6.4 has not been out long and to do something that clearly violates the warranty like 19,000 mi oil changes was foolhardy unless you are rich and money isn't an issue.

I apoligize if I seem harsh but I used to be a dealership mechanic(not Ford)and I don't think you have a chance getting any help on this one.

Why didn't you take the vehicle in when you needed to add 2 gallons of coolant?

That alone is a major problem on a 1 year old vehicle.

seriously HOW?

2 gallons of missing coolant didn't strike a note with you?

My car doesn't even have a 2 gallon capacity! That's A LOT of coolant for a top off and such a new truck. I'd have had it towed into the dealer if I found the coolant that low.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
seriously HOW?

2 gallons of missing coolant didn't strike a note with you?

My car doesn't even have a 2 gallon capacity! That's A LOT of coolant for a top off and such a new truck. I'd have had it towed into the dealer if I found the coolant that low.

Ok, one morning I hooked up my bobcat with a load of palms and drove out to the gate, noticed the coolant gauge a little higher than normal, checked it and found it low, 2 gallons.
I drove the truck the next day to Ford for them to look and they said "did you fill it with coolant?" I said yes, that was end of conversation.
No help at the dealer here, all about making a buck, No customer service.
I have an attorney on it now time will tell.
Javier

Last edited:
The add-pack on that oil isn't a HDEO add-pack.

I think the OP put in PCMO 5W-30, the engine failed, and now he wants Ford to pay for a new engine.

Very silly move if this is a work truck, its gonna take a long time to resolve, and you won't have a vehicle to use!

I find it very interesting that the OP won't actually tell us what type of oil was put in the truck.....

Good luck with htis, I'd love to hear how this turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back