Valvoline - Myth vs Reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Check it out:

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/#/why-upgrade/test

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/#/why-upgrade/results

I have a really hard time believing Castrol is using the results of Valvoline's independent test here.

The dipstick hurts pretty bad, but probably not as bad as public humiliation and a big fat lawsuit.
grin2.gif

Who performed this test?

I have no idea who performed the Castrol test, but:

Q: I've heard SynPower offers four times better wear protection than Mobil 1. Can you prove it?

A:
Yes. Valvoline and an independent lab conducted multiple Sequence IVA (Four A) Engine tests on Valvoline SynPower 5w30 and Mobil 1 5w30. The Sequence IVA is the industry standard test for determining wear performance of an engine oil and is required to meet the API SL and SM requirements. The test utilizes a 2.4 liter EFI overhead cam Nissan engine with a slider valve train design. Multiple tests were run at the Valvoline Engine Laboratory, a fully certified engine testing lab - and an independent research lab. Analysis of the test results showed that the Valvoline SynPower provided four times better wear protection than Mobil 1.

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/
http://valvoline.com/our-business/valvoline-news/2564

Does anyone know what certifications the Valvoline engine lab (Valvoline Ashland Fleet Testing Laboratory) has?

http://www.valvoline-technology.com/engine_lab.asp

Valvoline and an independent test lab? Or is the Valvoline lab an independant test lab too? No fan of Mobil 1 here, but wouldn't the Valvoline independant test lab be a little bias if they ran the test?

The language is pretty clear IMO, Valvoline performed the ASTM D 6891 test (seq IVA) in their own lab and had the results verified by an independent lab.

Valvoline has an in house testing lab -- Valvoline Ashland Fleet Testing Laboratory -- capable of performing the required ASTM tests. It has an American Chemistry Council Accreditation at the least. I would still like to found out what other certifications this lab has though, if anyone wants to research it.
wink.gif

I'm still unclear as to what results Castrol is using though.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
river_rat, not questioning your post or your friend, but I think the true test is the test of time in an engine that's hard on oil like a Toyota Sludger. The Cherokee engines are reasonably easy on oil, long lasting engines with any oil choice.
wink.gif

No I didn't take it badly.
11.gif
I actually didn't know those engines were/are easy on oil. Maybe not a good example. But he's seen inside a lot of engines as his customers tend to be his for many years and he knows what they use. And he uses Synpower himself. So anyway. It's good enough for me to use. But like you say, just about any ILSAC GF4 will do the trick on a modern engine for a long, long time.

So when it comes down to it the test was performed by Valvoline, and no one knows wher Castrol got their test results from. Mobil denies Valvolines claim of 4Xs and Castrols claim of 8Xs, and the API doesn't have a clue where Valvoline and Castrol got their info. Does that about cover it?

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

What is Castrol's basis for their 8x better claims?

According to this, Valvoline claims its own synthetic is only 1.1 X better than its conventional.
Not too far fetched of an idea, given the quality of today's conventional oil. I can just see all the BITOG discussions moving to conventional over synthetic and people returning their syn stashes to Walmart to get Valvoline Premium Conventional. White Bottle will be King

Threads like:

Does White bottle last longer than Yellow bottle are in the future.

Its got a nice, stripped down, ring to it too. A return to a simpler time, when the color of the bottle meant something.

God bless the working stiff!

Originally Posted By: tig1
Mobil denies Valvolines claim of 4Xs and Castrols claim of 8Xs

They do? I thought Mobil only replied that they meet all API specs.

Quote:
and the API doesn't have a clue where Valvoline and Castrol got their info. Does that about cover it?

Don't ask, don't tell springs to mind, plausible denialability, yada yada yada...

By Mobil saying they meet all API specs. doesn't that say in affect Mobil denies Val and Cast claim?

The quoted material says Valvoline AND!!!! and independent lab ran multiple tests. It doesn't get any more clear than that.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The quoted material says Valvoline AND!!!! and independent lab ran multiple tests. It doesn't get any more clear than that.

LOL- I'm playing devils advocate here, so don't take this the wrong way
cheers3.gif
. The English language can be tricky at times. While I do agree with what you're saying. A spin can be put on this, depending on how you feel about Valvoline or XOM on any given day.

Multiple tests were run at the Valvoline Engine Laboratory, a fully certified engine testing lab - and an independent research lab.

This could mean Valvoline's Engine testing Lab is a fully certified engine testing lab, and an Independent research lab? All in one? Or they used an Independant lab? Depends..............At first I saw it as both, then agreed with your comment, and now...........
21.gif
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Yes, they ran multiple tests, but they don't say how many time Mobil 1 failed the test, and how exactly many times they ran the test. Why don't they release the test results in detail?

They claim that both Valvoline and the independent lab ran the tests, but how many 1994 Nissan KA24E, 2.4-liter, water-cooled, fuel-injected engine, 4-cylinder in-line, overhead camshaft with 2 intake valves, and 1 exhaust valve per cylinder engines are there in the world?

We also don't know where they got the oil from. Did the lab get the Mobil 1 from Valvoline. The claim is only made about M1 5W-30 and not any other M1 grades (not even M1 5W-30 EP).

The test results were apparently not submitted to the API, and the API claims they do not know why Valvoline said the things they did about Mobil 1. What is Valvoline hiding?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Anytime someone squaks about PAO base content, the Forum takes a step backwards.
I would like to add PAO is a copy of an oil molecule.That is why it is not a whole lot better than the best GPIII oils.

Lets see... BOTH Valvoline AND Castrol are making up stuff in today's lets sue anyone for anything world?

And BOTH of them are going to take a risk on having big bad Mobil sue them to never never land with no IRON CLAD FACTS?

And how then would Mobil use the results of the law suit for their marketing?

I'm sure that Castrol AND Valvoline would be willing to take that risk. Esp in todays environment.
LOL.gif

Amazing how strong the koolaid is around here for some members...

Valvoline Synpower is an excellent oil. I got very good wear results when I tried their 5w30. I'd rank it with M1 and PP.

It really doen't matter HOW they formulate the oil, it's the real-world results that matter.

But..I guess it's fun to argue who has 7% more PAO and/or mono and diglycerides.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Valvoline Synpower is an excellent oil. I got very good wear results when I tried their 5w30. I'd rank it with M1 and PP.

It really doen't matter HOW they formulate the oil, it's the real-world results that matter.

But..I guess it's fun to argue who has 7% more PAO and/or mono and diglycerides.

Agree!

Its the REAL WORLD RESULTS that matter!

But when you have a mission/job like some do here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back