Stihl 2 stroke HP Ultra full synth

Status
Not open for further replies.
How exxy is it compared to something like Castrol Power 1 Racing ? Motul 710 2T ? Silkolene Pro 2 SX ?

It's blended by Castrol/BP, has a viscosity of 8.45 cSt @ 100*C, JASO FB oil (as it's flash point is 220*C, Power 1 Racing has a flash of around 76* and meets JASO FD. I believe the lower flash point contributes to the lower smoke of the FC/FD oils) and has somewhere between 5-10% hydrotreated mineral oil.
That's all the info I have on it.

I currently run Motul 800 2T in my saws, Ultra isn't available here.

I use it at the 50:1 mix in all of my 2 stroke equipment since they quit making the Mobil 1 Racing 2T here.

The Stihl oils are not made by Castrol/BP here in the USA.

What's wrong with the Stihl High Performance one? I've got a bunch of it for free from my Stihl dealer for my blower and trimmer. Is this a bad oil?

Yeah, you want to use this at 50:1. The biggest mistake people STILL make with 2 cycle oil is that they think the motor/machine they are running requires a certain ratio.

Not true, the ratio is determined by the oil, and there is only one optimum ratio for every oil.

When a customer insists on using some generic oil that has it's own ratio chart on the back of the bottle, I tell him "Good luck with that". You cannot take any oil ( even Stihl oil ) and have it work well at different ratios. That is to say (again) that it will only work optimally at one specific ratio.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What's wrong with the Stihl High Performance one? I've got a bunch of it for free from my Stihl dealer for my blower and trimmer. Is this a bad oil?

Nothing wrong with this oil( orange bottle ), it's kind of old school now though because it's 100% conventional, which may be why it was given to you. For a 2 cycle engine this will work well.

However, this oil and the blended oil ( black bottle, called HP Super ) were causing quite a bit of deposits on the exhaust valves of the new 4-mix engines Stihl came out with 5 or 6 years ago, and the switch to full syn( white bottle, called HP Ultra ) eliminated that problem. Now many customers are simply running the full syn in all their equipment.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Yeah, you want to use this at 50:1. The biggest mistake people STILL make with 2 cycle oil is that they think the motor/machine they are running requires a certain ratio.

Not true, the ratio is determined by the oil, and there is only one optimum ratio for every oil.

If that's the case, then there's all sorts of misinformation given out in this thread....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1493330#Post1493330

However, this oil and the blended oil ( black bottle, called HP Super ) were causing quite a bit of deposits on the exhaust valves of the new 4-mix engines Stihl came out with 5 or 6 years ago,

What is a 4-mix engine and how do I tell if I have one?

Thanks Johnny. My blower and trimmer descriptions don't seem to mention it, unless it's just standard on all Stihl equipment nowadays.

They still make good old conventional 2 stroke engines. Yours probably do not have this engine. All of my Stihl equipment is still the standard 2 stroke stuff.

If that's the case, then there's all sorts of misinformation given out in this thread....

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1493330#Post1493330

Thanks, Pete, I didn't see that thread. Yes, this just proves my point about people being all over the map about ratios.

Pete, what are the model numbers of your units? That will be all I need to determine if you have a 4-mix engine.

The trimmer is FS40 C-E, and the vac/blower is SH56 C-E.

Pete, what are the model numbers of your units? That will be all I need to determine if you have a 4-mix engine.

The trimmer is FS40 C-E, and the vac/blower is SH56 C-E.

Those are both 2-cycle engines, no need to run the syn oil unless you want to.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

The Stihl oils are not made by Castrol/BP here in the USA.

Hi Johnny, actually they are.
wink.gif

It appears Castrol has the contact worldwide.

Have the MSDS for US Stihl Ultra and it's a BP/Castrol one.

Quote:
Product name Stihl HP Ultra - Part Number(s): 0751-313-8003, 0781-313-8002, 0781-313-8004
MSDS # 452731
Product use Lubricant for two-stroke engines.
For specific application advice see appropriate Technical Data Sheet or consult our company
representative.
Code 452731-IT01
Supplier BP Lubricants USA Inc.
9300 Pulaski Highway
Baltimore, Maryland 21220-2495
EMERGENCY HEALTH
INFORMATION:
1 (800) 447-8735
Outside the US: +1 703-527-3887 (CHEMTREC)
EMERGENCY SPILL
INFORMATION:
1 (800) 424-9300 CHEMTREC (USA)
OTHER PRODUCT
INFORMATION
1 (866) 4 BP - MSDS
(866-427-6737 Toll Free - North America)
email: [email protected]

Have also been told in the past on another forum by a US based Stihl service tech that their oils are supplied by Castrol, and the Ultra comes from Europe.

Last edited:

Really ?
I hope you have some references or valid dyno/run tests to back this up ?

Don't know how old your information is, but that is not correct. Following is an email I got from Stihl USA. Also in my computer files I have the MSDS sheets on the USA products that tells where they are made, but have no way to attach them. PM me your email address and I will forward them to you. Here is the email.

Date: May 18, 2009 10:20:33 AM CDT
To:
Subject: Technical Question - oil

Hello Johnny.
Thanks for your E-mail and your interest in STIHL products.
Our engine oil is made for us by a company called Omni.
I hope this helps and if I can be of any further assistance, please let
me know.
Sincerely,
Mark O'Briant
STIHL Technical Advisor

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 12:13 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]; US/SCC-cs
Customer Service
Subject: STIHL Web Site E-mail - Technical Question

This e-mail is from Johnny ([email protected]).
Subject: Technical Question
Name: Johnny
Address1: 202
Address2:
City: Wausau
State: Wisconsin
Zip: 54403
Phone Number: 715
E-mail Address: [email protected]
E-mail Address Repeat: [email protected]
Where Did You Hear About Us: Search Engine
Comments: I own several pieces of Stihl equipment from chainsaws to
blowers and have used your products since 1978. I also use other brands
as well.

Would you mind telling me who makes the Stihl 2-cycle oil?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back