I just compared aquawax to nu-finish cling on my

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trusty rusty F150. Its a nice country oxidized red. I finally found some cling at autozone and I already had the auqawax. I am not trying to make the rusty a show truck so I only did small patches of each. The aquawax smelled better but once dry I could not even tell where I had used it on the rusty oxide F150. The cling on the other hand took the oxidization right off and the paint looks like I used regular nufinish on it. I used a ton of aquawax and just a little bit of cling as well.

I then tried some nu-vinyl and regular nufinish. The nu-vinyl washed right off and you could still see the oxidization, regular nu-finish worked as it always does but not the same deep gloss of the cling. For the nu-finish line conasoir its another good product. For the none nu-finish lover you may find some fault but some may actually like it. I give it a
thumbsup2.gif

Why would you use products outside their intended uses and expect them to work? Did you really expect Aquawax to remove rust or is this a comedy skit and I missed the intro?

I have used Nu-Finish for years and have frequently compared, on my vehicles) with other highly recommended waxes. Some gave a better deep gloss shine, but lasted only 2-3 months. The Nu-Finish lasted 10 months and still showed beading. Lazy person that I am, I prefer the longer lasting wax (Polymer)

I did not try to remove rust. But the truck could be called rusty. Do large gaping holes over the wheel wells count? It is also ford red and oxidizes rather badly sitting in the sun.

I also sprayed both products on my grand caravan not so rusty. Again the cling looked better on its dark green, I'll have to see which lasts longer.

aquawax is designed as a booster to used between regualr wash and wax sessions, to try and help the existing wax last a little longer.

It is not designed as a stand alone wax

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
aquawax is designed as a booster to used between regualr wash and wax sessions, to try and help the existing wax last a little longer.

Cling is for between waxings as well. I just find it interesting to compare.

http://nufinish.com/products_cling.html

Some will never try it just because its a nu-finish product.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Originally Posted By: 02zx9r

Cling is for between waxings as well. I just find it interesting to compare.

http://nufinish.com/products_cling.html

Some will never try it just because its a nu-finish product.

Ah, i guess I should have looked up the info on it before I opened my mouth huh?? :) Sorry for the confusion on my part.

It does look promising though...

I don't know why Nu Finish gets dumped on either. For what it does it is a good product and very reasonably priced. Just because it's not the choice of serious detailers doesn't mean that it does not fill a niche for those just wanting their car to look good with minimal effort. The "cling" may work well also.

We have had light on and off rain all this week. I just drove the rusty and took a look at all the areas I had applied different products. The cling definately looked the best still. Even better then the spot I used regular nufinish on.

The regular nufinish looked flat with no real gloss but the cling area had a deep gloss look. The cling clearly had a wet look to it so I checked the dark green caravan. The aquawax applied area was noticeably slicker on the caravan but no change in gloss compared to the rest of the hood. The cling side was less slick but has a very noticeable wet gloss. Since I only did patches on each its very easy to pick out the cling on either vehicle. If I can find time I will have to try regular nufinish on a panel and then cling over half of it just to see how it looks.

The cling reminds me more of a watered down glaze the a instant detailer. A little bit goes a long way, its easy to spray on to much and then have to spread the excess.

Chris, they intend you to use it after you dry the car, I've tried it on my Olds, and have been impressed with the finish, only thing is, it easy to use "too-much" :)

Cling is a "Spray Car Polish". I'm guessing it has some sort of cleaners in it. I wouldn't expect a spray wax to do anything on a neglected surface.

I think you're using Aquawax incorrectly and the comparison is sort of wacky.

On a car that is already maintained well with glossy paint, Aquawax has basically allowed me to reduce the need to polish/wax as often. I typically use it in a "wax as you dry" manner and it leaves all surfaces very slick and shiny. I only wax twice a year now since my truck ends up looking freshly waxed most of the time due to AW.

For the cost, and ease of use, I love it. I have never used Cling, but I imagine it would have the same effect.

Comparing longevity of booster spray waxes is sort of a moot point, given the typical use case of a booster spray wax (used after a weekly or bi-weekly wash). The underlying LSP is what I'd be more interested in studying in terms of durability.

I think Nu-Finish polish is good stuff that is typically overlooked. That being said, you'll have to pry my Collinite IW845 from my cold dead hands.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
That being said, you'll have to pry my Collinite IW845 from my cold dead hands.

YES!!^^^^^^

This stuff is sooo addictive (and fairly easy to use), with such GREAT results, that I'm compelled to use it after every wash (even though I know that is a COMPLETE waste, and overkill!!)
wink.gif

The only "wax" I have yet to like is Turtle Wax, it is too thick.

I knew I was in trouble when it said on the back it was also good for waxing your shower door or whatever..

Right now I scored half a dozen bottles of 3m wax from a discount store for $1.99 per bottle. That wax works excellent, in a parts store expect to pay nearly 10 per bottle.

The reason that Nu Finish removes oxidation is probably because it has strong solvents and abrasives in it. The AW probably has neither.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
The reason that Nu Finish removes oxidation is probably because it has strong solvents and abrasives in it. The AW probably has neither.

I love the use of probably about products. FYI Klasse AIO is a much stronger cleaner then nufinish. I find KAIO to be nearly worthless if it is not topped with something, great cleaner however.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Does Cling go on a wet car like the Eagle One spray wax?

Cling is interesting. It seems more similar to standard NF in a spray on version. I would watch for overspray and make sure it gets fully applied (wipe on, wipe off). I intentionally sprayed some on the hood of my F150 and let it dry no wiping of any kind, just sprayed and left. Its not shiny and the milky white look has not changed in 1 year. At this point I will need a cleaner wax at the least to take it off.

I would only use it on a dry car personally. If any is simply left on the paint it will dry to a rock hard finish that is milky white.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody

Do you have any links or info that NuFinish has abrasives in it? I have a 1997 Tahoe that got waxed using NuFinish 3 times a years since it was new and the paint is still in show room condition. If it had any abrasives it would have worn/dulled down the paint by now. I'll get up a picture today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back