What Sealant Do You Use on New Water Pump Gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Anything that makes a paper gasket stick is a no go for me. I'll use silicon for reusable gaskets ..or for the gasket itself. It peels off easy enough on the 2nd or 3rd round. If it's just paper ..like a thermostat, then it's just never-seized on both sides. A very common practice in industrial settings ..steam ..whatever. I hate having to clean up a surface, especially if it's a recurring replacement item (like a thermostat).

I see that they make thermostat gaskets with a sticky side so you can attach it to the housing to aid in putting it together (given the odd places that they may be in). This costs me time.

never-seize? do you mean anti-seize? Or is there a different product?

I wonder what smearing a thin layer of rtv silicone on the gasket, and then letting it dry, would do?

'Never-seize' is a brand name of anti-seize.

I agree with Gary to a point here- I do the same with antiseize on gaskets on occasion, but only in applications where I think I might have to remove the gasket again AND it's a pain to get to. And I thought that I'd invented this rather novel idea... apparently not- or at least I wasn't the first.

But I wouldn't put antiseize on a water pump gasket unless it was a good quality gasket on a very nice surface. 'Cause I don't think antiseize will do much to slow potential leaks.

Right Stuff is super expensive, and goes bad in the can.
It works, but we'll never buy it again.
Many times after using some, the remainder is unusable, and even new cans have been unusable.

The only sealant I use on waterpump gaskets is a dab of whatever is around to hold the thing in place while I bolt it up-I'm with Gary on this one. Never had any leak problems and dis-assembly isn't a major project.

I'm standing behind my 1st post. I put em on dry..........Unless the mating surface is pitted or damaged. If so I'll put a dab of Silicone where the pitting is.

You don't want this mess.

1009081442.jpg

I'm the same way. Nothing on the gasket unless the mating surface is dinged up, then a dab of what I have on hand that would be best. Sometimes a dab to hold it in place for mounting. Never had a leaker in all these years. Why bother with the paper gasket when all you are doing with the sealants is effectively making a gasket that you already have? Makes cleaning up a mess too. Been there, done that...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back