Oil Change hot or cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: momomeister
That didn't get them too far...

i know but i have to cling to all the positives i can find
09.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I've probably been driving longer that you've been alive.

I've been using M1 for only 23 years,and don't remember what i used waaay before that.
whistle.gif

PM me your address?

What do you guys think about this?

I always have some left over oil from previous changes. So once it's done dripping, i will pour about half a quart of new/leftover oil down to get more old out until it looks new draining out.

Oh and I do it warm. I do like the theory of letting it sit all night to drain down... curious if it really might be more effective. I've read before that many mechanics have been needlessly burned from warming cars 1st.

I just did the CRX this weekend. Drove it on the highway...hot and stirred. Let it drain out of the engine while I was getting out the jack, positioning the jackstands, and pinching my finger in one 'till it gushed blood. Drained in the pan until it started to drip. Then brought it down and refilled.

Hot oil changes are SO much more exciting than oozy cold oil.

Always hot usually drive to a Honda dealer to buy a 25 cent washer. Drive to get coofee ater that drive up the ramp sand drain it.

Hot.

- as many contaminant in solution as possible
- oil flows out of the drain faster
- oil flows down from the cams faster (for those with OHC)
- engine's obviously already at proper running temp for pulling up on ramps, otherwise you need to wait forever for cold oil to drain back down to the sump and you're adding cold starts to the routine

Of course "Hot" doesn't mean scalding, kill yourself, dangerous.

All of the cars I'm currently changing oil on are top-accessed cartridge filters and wearing latex or nitrile gloves I can safely handle the filters and some oil splash without getting burned.

I don't know that I'd mess with a rear-of-the-block spin on when super-hot.

One thing I have done before is drain the pan, put the drain plug in but not too tight. Then go ahead and change out the filter and check all the other fluids while you take your time.

Then I go back and pull that drain plug again. While you waited and did other things the engine was draining into the almost empty pan. You can get another pint out of there this way.

I prefer hot, but alot of the time my Father and sister have been waiting while I drove over to their house, so their cars are pretty cold.

Just be sure to always do a once over, make sure everything is in place, plug, filter, and check the levels. A few quarts of oil can make a huge mess.

I actually like to be driving the car while it's draining. A nice launch will ensure every drop of old oil gets outta the car.

It will flow to -40F, but slowly. It's best to drain it warm/hot so that the dirt is still in suspension and the oil will drain faster, especially durning the colder months. This is how I was taught, and have been doing it that way for a very long time.

no thoughts on whether pouring some new through once finished draining the old to push out any just sitting in there? I figure up to a cup doesn't cost much. if it pushes out more old oil then why not?

maybe i should put the plug back on, add a cup. let it sit. then drain that?

Last edited:
I always drain it hot. For the Tacoma having a Fumoto drain valve is sweet. The Jetta is a drain plug....not too bad. For the filter i try to let it sit but sometimes im to eager to wait.

I always drain cold. I figure more oil has drained down to the pan after its been sitting for a few hours, so I will get a more complete volume changeout.

I change oil hot, but the reason is the oil filter and not oil drainage. Hot oil filter base makes filter catch better and not leak.

If you guys had to work on a Honda, you wouldn't be singing to the tune of "change the oil when hot". The filter is mounted horizontally in the backside where space is very cramped and you can't see it, so either you'll burn yourself on the hot engine while feeling around or burn yourself on the hot oil that will drip down the engine as soon as you to loosen the filter. It's the worst place to position a filter

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tonycarguy
If you guys had to work on a Honda, you wouldn't be singing to the tune of "change the oil when hot". The filter is mounted horizontally in the backside where space is very cramped and you can't see it, so either you'll burn yourself on the hot engine while feeling around or burn yourself on the hot oil that will drip down the engine as soon as you to loosen the filter. It's the worst place to position a filter

well you would drop the oil plug then wait 30mins and a do the filter...

position the car on ramps, so drain plug is lowest. if plug on back, drive both front wheels up on ramps, if plug on left, drive up right ramp, if plug on right drive up left ramp. Now plug is as low as possible, and much lower than any mechanic would get it.
2. the car should be warm or hot. if hot, wait for it to cool off a bit so u don't burn ur hands.
3. make sure
to put vaseline on hands, so you don't get cancer from the used motor oil, that is just about to soak into ur skin.
with the drain properly positioned, this will ensure max oil will drain out. this is the most important point. second, is not to do it cold. third is to have a cold beer while u wait for oil to drain, it takes about 20 minutes or more, not just the 2 minutes they give it in the quick lube place. afterwards, rub hands with vegetable oil, and clean off with dish soap. that way hands don't smell like engine afterwards, and skin stays healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back