Castrol vs Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
" Companies like Castrol do not devote the entire price differences between Havoline & It's own Castrol to advertising."
-----------------------------------------------------------

No, they devote it to company profit as they do the difference in cost between a Group III sythetic at Group IV prices.

Triple 7, it has to do with the pricing of Havoline and Castrol. I don't believe that Castol is putting the extra dollars they charge into a superior base oil or add pack.

Anyone wishing to pay significantly more for a similar oil is welcome to do so. It's still a free country.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
Triple 7, it has to do with the pricing of Havoline and Castrol. I don't believe that Castol is putting the extra dollars they charge into a superior base oil or add pack.

Anyone wishing to pay significantly more for a similar oil is welcome to do so. It's still a free country.

The two oils we're comparing are not that similar.

Perhaps it costs more to produce Castrol?

We are not talking about a ton of money here... Castrol averages 45 cents more per quart than Havoline here in Lower Michigan.

Perhaps 20 cents of that increase goes to advertising. But who in their right mind would choose any oil based solely on a $1 price difference for the entire oil change... including filter?

Castrol didn't become one of this planet's top selling oils having a base of junk. Getting to 300K with either oil should happen with proper engine service. People are completely off-base with their "junk" opinions of Castrol.

With all that said, I have a garage-full of Havoline/Chevron & absolutely no Castrol.

However, using both in various vehicles, overall I have less consumption issues with Castrol dino than Havoline. Just the opposite with both using their American-produced synthetics.

I didn't say their base oils were junk. Here in NY, Castrol conventional is 40% more than Havoline. I don't see the value.

Just because one says that a product is overpriced, doesn't mean that one says the product is inferior.

I prefer Castrol over Havoline, it's just that on most of my cars Havoline burns a lot quicker, but it's also cheaper. So if I'm broke I'll run Havoline and not worry, but I usually run Valvoline or Castrol.

No, they devote it to company profit as they do the difference in cost between a Group III sythetic at Group IV prices.

How does this apply to this dino thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back