Best Synthetic Oil - Top 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion:

1. GC (every car in my house likes it better than amsoil)
2. Eneos (awesomeness)
3. Amsoil

the only Mobil-1 that I like is the 0W40

How about Liqui Moly? Anyone ever try that stuff? SUPER expensive when I saw it. I`ll just stick with wb and yb :^)

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
Yes, the best oil is the OM specified oil that actually gets in the engine at the required interval.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
After reading about UOA's, and engines that had fine UOA's with wiped out bearings and worn parts, I think the best oil would be determined by tearing down an engine. JMO

AD

01.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
I don't rank oils based on "base oils" used. That just doesn't make much sense.

I know some would actually put Valvoline & Castrol ahead of M1 at this point.

another
01.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Somebody take the stamp away from deven...
LOL.gif

LOL. My top three:-
1)Any API-SM oil(Synthetic for some Turbo's)
2)Any API-SM oil(Syn or Conventional)
3)Any API-SL oil with extra ZDDP for flat-tappet engines & high mileage cars

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: peterdes
Peterdes: My apologies, I thought RP was a GRP-III with some IV content.

Buster: As for the people that don't trust Amsoil, they don't know what they are missing IMO.

:D

Agreed. Amsoil is a very good oil. I just wish they would stop with the dealers/preferred customer stuff. I would love to see it in auto-stores/walmart. But, business is business.

It's available on part store shelves up here... Not all the products but a good selection of them. And I like having it shipped to my door, don't have to deal with stupid parts counter guys or lineups and waste gas going to the store...
grin2.gif

I'll have to hop on the Amsoil train sometime, I'm real interested to see how their oils will perform in my vehicles. But Amsoil is in the back of the line behind RP, PP, and Valvoline. No reason for this other than they sell those at my walmart. :) For some reason I enjoy going to the store.

Originally Posted By: deven
Somebody take the stamp away from deven...
LOL.gif

LOL. My top three:-
1)Any API-SM oil(Synthetic for some Turbo's)
2)Any API-SM oil(Syn or Conventional)
3)Any API-SL oil with extra ZDDP for flat-tappet engines & high mileage cars

Good list! Especially number three. Spot on.

Amsoil - GRP-IV
Redline - GRP-IV & V
Royal Purple - GRP-III/IV
Pennzoil Platinum & M1 (Tied IMO) - GRP-III/IV
Shell Rotella T Synthetic - GRP-III

RP is Grp IV. No Grp III.

EDIT - oops someone already pointed this out. Sorry.

Last edited:
NHHEMI: And I apologized for my inaccuracy too.
wink.gif

peterdes: I think PP would provide you great protection in your climate at an affordable price. I use it in the warmer weather and extend my drains on it based on UOA's I have seen for my engine. I wouldn't spend the extra for Amsoil or PP because you are warm almost year round unless you really want to try it out... I just use Amsoil because of it's superior cold flow temperatures in the winter up here and because it makes my engine run very smooth!
grin2.gif

So how is not accurate when I said III/IV ? It's a mix of these oils I didn't specify percentages...

Because many (probably most) Group III synthetics have small amounts (a few percent or less) of Group IV/V in them to boost the properties. OTOH, M1 is predominately a Group IV base stock product (unlike PP).

I know that it is generally accepted that some of the boutique oils have 100% Group IV/V base stock, but I have not seen any proof that they don't also (like M1) contain some Group III stock in them.

So I would classify synthetics as follows:

- Group III (with maybe very small amounts of Group IV/V)
- Predominately Group IV (with some Group III, and small amounts of Group V)
- 100% Group IV/V base stock.

But a Group III oil with small amounts of IV/V may be perfectly appropriate for applications where extended drain intervals are not required (and not allowed per engine warranty requirements).

NHHEMI: And I apologized for my inaccuracy too.
wink.gif

peterdes: I think PP would provide you great protection in your climate at an affordable price. I use it in the warmer weather and extend my drains on it based on UOA's I have seen for my engine. I wouldn't spend the extra for Amsoil or PP because you are warm almost year round unless you really want to try it out... I just use Amsoil because of it's superior cold flow temperatures in the winter up here and because it makes my engine run very smooth!
grin2.gif

Yeah, I can't remember the last time it got below 50*s for more that 6 hours. I currently have in YP 10w40 with ARX and she is running great.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
First thing I always want to know is the expertise and credibility of the person who puts forth these conclusions.

In this case, its some guy named Jeff, who describes himself thus, "I'm an enthusiast of pretty much all things tech, but am mostly into computers, home theater, and photography." He also like the drums and roller coasters. Seems more than qualified to make a definitive statement on motor oil.
smirk2.gif

Just some kid who spends way too much time on the internet, another self styled e-expert. I'll pass on his commentary.

I like PP best because of the tangy zip it adds to all my salads.
banana2.gif

John

Originally Posted By: Mark888
So how is not accurate when I said III/IV ? It's a mix of these oils I didn't specify percentages...

Because many (probably most) Group III synthetics have small amounts (a few percent or less) of Group IV/V in them to boost the properties. OTOH, M1 is predominately a Group IV base stock product (unlike PP).

I know that it is generally accepted that some of the boutique oils have 100% Group IV/V base stock, but I have not seen any proof that they don't also (like M1) contain some Group III stock in them.

So I would classify synthetics as follows:

- Group III (with maybe very small amounts of Group IV/V)
- Predominately Group IV (with some Group III, and small amounts of Group V)
- 100% Group IV/V base stock.

But a Group III oil with small amounts of IV/V may be perfectly appropriate for applications where extended drain intervals are not required (and not allowed per engine warranty requirements).

+1

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
You've been sorely misled if you believe M1 is mostly PAO-based...

Please tell us what you think M1 base stock is, and how you came to that conclusion. But even if it is as low as 30-40% PAO, that is still no comparison to Group III oils that have only a few percent.

I'm going by what a "true" PAO-based oil sells for - without the millions of dollars spent on advertising. Perhaps 10% PAO - hey, the same percentage used in most "synthetic blends" on actual synthetic.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
You've been sorely misled if you believe M1 is mostly PAO-based...

Please tell us what you think M1 base stock is, and how you came to that conclusion. But even if it is as low as 30-40% PAO, that is still no comparison to Group III oils that have only a few percent.

I believe he is using the Japanese data. Or at least that is what he is referencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back