Best OIL for a 2009 BMW 328i in Florida ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was using the OEM oil from the stealership and wanted to try something else. Thought about the Castrol 0w30 and the Mobil 1 0w40 but I see there are a lot of other oils out now. Anyone recommend the best oil going these days for a 2009 BMW 328i? I plan on changing every 7500 miles and will do a UOA.

THANKS in advance

Burpelson

Last edited:
GC would be a good choice. Any of the 5w-40 BMW LL-01 oils would also be good choices if you drive hard... but they tend to be mail order...

We've been having this discussion in the other BMW thread. If your owners manual says you should use an oil that is BMW LL-01 approved, your choices are rather limited. M1 0W-40, GC, and the BMW OEM oil are all good to use. All will work properly with the car's maintenance indicator system. A 7500 miles OCI should be ideal for this car using the correct oil.

There are a lot to choose from, especially if you are willing to go out of spec.. I'd probally use GC if you are ok with a 30 weight. In a non-spec oil, Mobil 1 10w-30 High Miles (A3-spec). If you drive a stick shift very hard in the heat, maybe the M1 10w-40 HM or Rotella Synth. I'm shure the AMSoil guys will chime in too.

I'd probally use a 15w-40 or 10w-40 dino and change often. Money is not an object, but I feel that dino at 5-6k works better than synth at 10-12k for the same or less money. See, I like changing oil, so.... Plus the fresh oil has new friction modifiers and such, clean and smooth and cheap. Heck, if Motorcraft 15w-40 HD has a lot of boron like their PCMOs, that would be high on my list.

For a 7500 OCI...i would highly recommend Mobil 1 0w40. If you are picky like me....there is no other oil I would put in there for these reasons.

1. Mobil 1 0W40 shears to a 30 weight oil anyways....from what im told
2. It's the only factory fill for AMG Mercedes and all Porsche vehicles. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Factory_Fill/Vehicles_Filled_Mobil_1.aspx
3. Most importantly, at a 7500 OCI..it meets the "BMW Longlife 01" spec that your car needs. http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/oils/mobil_1_0w-40.aspx

BMW recommends Castrol. M1 0w40 (European formula) should work fine, but for my '08 535i with the twin turbos - which runs on the hot side - I stick to GC (0w30)or the BMW branded High Performance 5w30 synthetic. If the dealer is doing the oil change under BMW paid maintenance, I'll use their supplied 5w30 oil. If I'm doing a DIY in-between change on my own nickel, I use the GC.

BMW is advertising that they pay for free maintenance (including oil changes) for the first 48K miles or 4 years. Don't you have that deal?

The OCI is 15000 miles with the BMW maintenance plan I do have.
I will change in between at 7-7500k.

My main concern with using another oil besides the BMW branded 5w30 is mixing oils. I would use a mail order oil if there was a good oil that had the correct spec.

I am not opposed to spending a few bucks more for my ride. But I wonder about having the residual oil from the BMW 5w30 stealership fill every 15k.

Last edited:
I'm sure it meets the spec as required, but it wasn't officially tested by the API or BMW, but I'm sure it would do very well in your engine for this interval.

Amsoil SSO 0w30. I use it and the UOA's come back superb.

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Burpelson

My main concern with using another oil besides the BMW branded 5w30 is mixing oils. I would use a mail order oil if there was a good oil that had the correct spec.

I am not opposed to spending a few bucks more for my ride. But I wonder about having the residual oil from the BMW 5w30 stealership fill every 15k.

Whether you choose GC or Mobil 1 0W40..you wont be making a wrong decision on 7500 OCIs. Dont worry about the residual oil from the BMW oil..the BMW oil is a good oil as well...correct me if im wrong but i think the BMW oil is just a relabeled Castrol, right? Just drain the oil until it drips.

Change the oil every 7500 with GC or Mobil 1 0W40 with the best oil filter you can get...preferably the fleece filter if that is available. Not too familiar with BMWs to know if they are cartridge filters or spin on. Be satisfied with ur decision and thats it.

Originally Posted By: Burpelson

What kind of problems do you this will cause? Lots of people here switch brands and grades every OCI. No one seems to have experienced a problem.

If its a major concern, you can mail order oil change kits from online suppliers, complete with the BMW 5W-30 and a filter. I think the BMW oil is made by Castrol so no compatibility issues.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/i...&catalogid=6218

I think it is relabled Castrol. At least the oil cap says use Castrol....mine does anyway.

The M1 0w-40 ia a good choice. 7500 OCI is what I do. The dealer changes the oil, the OCI shows 14,000+, but I'm not comfortable going that long. IIRC, it's based on your driving style.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
BMW is advertising that they pay for free maintenance (including oil changes) for the first 48K miles or 4 years. Don't you have that deal?

But they charge you if you want the oil changed sooner.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
I think it is relabled Castrol. At least the oil cap says use Castrol....mine does anyway.

The M1 0w-40 ia a good choice. 7500 OCI is what I do. The dealer changes the oil, the OCI shows 14,000+, but I'm not comfortable going that long. IIRC, it's based on your driving style.

Mercedes FSS is around 10,000+ also. im in the same boat as you.

FYI, Straight from Mobil.

Can Mobil 1 0W-40 be Used Year-Round in BMWs and also in a SAAB?
Hello. I have three questions, actually. I have a 2004 BMW 745li, a 2006 BMW 330ci, and a 1992 Saab Turbo Convertible. BMW recommends their own oil or Castrol. You recommend Mobil 1 0W-40. Is it OK to use this oil in both BMWs year-round? Also, I have purchased your recommended oil, and I find you recommend a different Mobil 1 product for my Saab. Can I use the 0W-40 in the Saab as well? Many thanks for your advice.

Answer:
You can use Mobil 1 0W-40 in all three vehicles. The 0W-40 is the best viscosity for the BMWs but you could also use Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy or Mobil 1 5W-30 in the SAAB and possibly gain a bit of fuel economy. The use of the 0W-40 in the SAAB turbo is an excellent choice as well and because of its age we would recommend that you stay with the 0W-40.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Year_Round_Use_Mobil_1_0W40.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back