UOA's 2006 Dodge Sprinter, Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
rlent,

You and I are actually closer to being 'on the same page' than I think we realize....

I totally understand the idea of using UOA's to find out what the absolute 'breaking point' is for the oil, and then scaling back a bit from that for your 'regular' OCI. So if the purpose of this run is to find that, then yes, keep going, and see how much feedback you can get from experienced members. I know you're not going to do constant UOA's on EVERY fill of oil, so you have to get it to a interval you can almost guarantee is safe, and then maybe just UOA once at that point to make sure you are safe.

I also understand that if you are in shipping you are hurting, big time. And if you are shipping for the 'big 3' (hahaha), then you are REALLY hurting! A lot of my in-laws are in the transportation industry, and it is just ugly. So watching every penny is much more of a science than a car driver just doing a UOA for fun - this is serious.

Truth is, with regular top-off, and a close TBN to TAN ratio, you may 'never' have the change the oil in this rig. Amsoil does have a 409,000-mile oil interval tear-down on their site. Its not uncommon in this industry to have a 'running oil change' going. So if you do regular UOA's instead of oil changes, that saves you some work!

Good luck, and be safe out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back