Lucas Oil Stabilizer...???

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the study was done on gear oil, how can anyone be sure that the motor oil additive will perform the same way...??? Seems like an apples to oranges comparison. Still, based upon some of the other comments, I'll probably steer clear of it and use STP in my high mileage 62 Falcon.

Originally Posted By: Bob_B
If the study was done on gear oil, how can anyone be sure that the motor oil additive will perform the same way...??? Seems like an apples to oranges comparison. Still, based upon some of the other comments, I'll probably steer clear of it and use STP in my high mileage 62 Falcon.

Actually, in the same test, they compare Schaeffer's 15w40 vs. I believe Delo w/ Lucas added.

Here's a link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Originally Posted By: Bob_B

Actually, in the same test, they compare Schaeffer's 15w40 vs. I believe Delo w/ Lucas added.

Here's a link:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

You are correct. It wreaked aeration havoc on the motor oil as well.

I also like how many BITOGers consider themselves some sort of "Oil Police" going about enforcing some sort of unwritten laws of oil usage. One may find himself in "Oil Jail" for utilizing a prohibited oil additive!

Then there's the self-professed oil "experts" that know everything there is to know about how oil works in an engine, and if they don't already know it (meaning they haven't read about it on BITOG), then they don't need to know it.

BITOG is loaded with awesome information about oil, that's why I hang out here, but d**n, the attitudes by some are hard to stomach.

There is nothing in the elemental analysis. That's a fact that is a good basis for asserting it's worthless or worse.

Now, do YOU have some facts that justify it's use?

i wouldn't trust it. i tried it once with an engine that had a rod knock, revved it to 7,000rpm's and it threw the rod straight out the block!
cheers3.gif

[censored] oil everywhere. and the exhaust caught on fire. stupid piece of [censored].

really though i don't think any good oil would need something like this.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
There is nothing in the elemental analysis. That's a fact that is a good basis for asserting it's worthless or worse.

My car's running like a striped ape.

Originally Posted By: hal
i wouldn't trust it. i tried it once with an engine that had a rod knock, revved it to 7,000rpm's and it threw the rod straight out the block!
cheers3.gif

Any chance your engine would've done the same with any oil in there at 7000 rpm with a rod knocking?

i was joking. i don't blame the lucas for the catastrophic failure as it was intentional. it didn't decrease the knock at idle, though. i thought maybe the thickness of it would help.

Last edited:
Sorry. I didn't realize you were kidding.

Another dude said that Tufoil caused his main bearing to seize in his BMW. I just rubbed my forehead when I read it.

There is only one currently available oil additive that I would recommend: Redline Breakin Additive. They even say it can be used to increase zddp in modern oils.

There have been other good adds, but the ones I am confident in (have seen VOA data and had right consistency/thickness) are not available anymore (mainly SLOB).

As for thickening, I would just go with a thicker oil to begin with, maybe mix in one qt of syn 20w50 to your regular fill.

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto

There isn't anything in Lucas to make your car run like a "striped ape." You would probably get the same effect by using 20w50 motor oil. But if it makes you happy, that's all that really matters.

Is that striped like a zebra, or stripped like naked?

Actually, the term I have often heard is "it runs like a raped ape," which actually does happen in the wild, probably most frequently among orangutans.

Originally Posted By: panthermike

There isn't anything in Lucas to make your car run like a "striped ape." You would probably get the same effect by using 20w50 motor oil. But if it makes you happy, that's all that really matters.

I think the 20W-50, especially an modern SM-rated oil or a syn blend like Vavoline VR-1 or MaxLife, would be much better IMO...

At least the oil would be balanced and consistent...

Last edited:
It works great for me. BITOGers say that it foams up, and refer to some video on the web as scientific proof, but when I check my oil there is no foam on the dipstick. When I peer into my valve cover I see no foam.

My car's running like a dream right now with one quart of Lucas and two ounces of Tufoil in Lucas 5W20 syn oil.

Those foam tests were for gear oils and did not take into account the higher operation temps of an engine...LUCAS is not necessary in most cars, but if you had a Chevy pickup with 200k and leaks/burn-off it is a great option

Wow, that's very scientific and quite conclusive.

And you're criticizing our analytical approach?

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
There is only one currently available oil additive that I would recommend: Redline Breakin Additive. They even say it can be used to increase zddp in modern oils.

There have been other good adds, but the ones I am confident in (have seen VOA data and had right consistency/thickness) are not available anymore (mainly SLOB).

As for thickening, I would just go with a thicker oil to begin with, maybe mix in one qt of syn 20w50 to your regular fill.

+1 on the RL Break In Add, good stuff. I did a little research of my own and it seems to be a good product if you feel you need to boost ZDDP.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back