Carb vs Brake vs NC brake cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know your opinion about which to use to clean things on the underside of the car after an oil change. In past years I've been using nonchlorinated brake cleaner without issue, but have used the others as well.

Which product is best? Safest for metal/rubber/plastic under the car? Safest for me?

Thanks for your input.

They are all roughly the same ingredients if they are NC, they just vary the amounts of each. none of the above is safer for you; NC is for the environment but replaced with chemicals that are just as hazardous to humans.

If you don't need a spray then laquer thinner, paint thinner, tolulene work excellent as parts degreasers, paint thinner being the mildest.

have you thought about using something like simple green then hosing it off? That is the safest for you and the method I use for cleaning up after an oil change.

Originally Posted By: terminaldegree
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know your opinion about which to use to clean things on the underside of the car after an oil change. In past years I've been using nonchlorinated brake cleaner without issue, but have used the others as well.

Which product is best? Safest for metal/rubber/plastic under the car? Safest for me?

Thanks for your input.

CHLORINATED brake cleaner (like CRC in the red can) is by far the safest for plastic, rubber, and metal. It is pure dry-cleaning fluid- tetrachloroethylene, aka "perc" (perchloroethylene). Its bad if you breathe it, but used with adequate ventilation its actually far, FAR safer than the non-chlorinated kind! Non-chlorinated brake cleaners almost always contain Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) which is an extremely potent chemical that damages nerve cells. They also contain varying amounts of other toxins like toluene and other aromatic nasties.

Carb cleaners fall in between, and are usually pretty rough on plastics and have a lot of aromatics that aren't good for you either, but at least most of them don't have MEK. They do have the soup of aromatic toxins though.

As a side note, I personally do *not* understand the existence of "non-chlorinated" brake cleaner. The chemical soup they use in place of tetrachloroethylene is far worse for both humans AND the environment. But hey, it doesn't have chlorine!! It must be "green" (sheesh).

Last edited:
Plus brake clean is a very good bee killer instead of the the insect killing sprays.Do not get the Brake clean at AutoZone, will give you headaches.Most parts stores sell the non chlorinated brqke clean.

Why not just dilute with cheapest penetrating oil and wipe. Then which could be super-cleaned with any mild soap if really wanted. (I'd rather wait to dry with heat)

I also don't throw paper towels that used for cleaner oil, like checking AT level. Later I use them for gooey jobs. Better solvency.

What about de-oderized brake cleaner?

LOL.gif

I have used non-chlorinated brake cleaner for over 10 yrs for automotive use...I often worry about my health because of all the exposure. I wear gloves and on occasion I use a chemical mask if I am doing a repair in winter time when the garage must be closed. But I definitely have absorbed it on my skin hundreds of times...I hope the human body is as resiliant as they say it is...

I would not say I have had massive exposure, but I have smelled it plenty of times while doing auto maintenance & repairs and gotten it on my skin.

But it really makes you wonder about actual mechanics because I do not work on cars every day so my exposure has luckily been limited to just those times on & off where I have used brake cleaner. I used it to clean my tools too! I use it for everything.

Maybe I will start using simple green but FYI it is toxic too...google it.

Thoughts? Anyone else have mild to moderate exposure to a variety of automotive chemicals including non-chlorinated brake cleaner over the years but are still alive & well but poss like this concern you?

I went to school for mechanics. My instructor who had spent the last 20 years in the actual field, had to wear gloves, any brake cleaner got on his hands, and they would crack.

The de-scented stuff is just chlorinated brake cleaner, but has some extra chemicals to neutralize the stink. It's stupidly poisonous, and it will absorb through your skin. Non-chlorinated is slightly safer, but still years of exposure will do bad things to you.

I have several boxes of Nitrile gloves, and a few pairs of heavier duty Nitrile gloves, I wear them, when ever I play with chemicals.

I also avoid chlorinated cleaners, because of what they can do to the human body. Heating them up can produce a chemical that can kill you with a single breath, and can go through most air filters like nothing.

So if you spray chlorinated brake cleaner on a hot brake rotor and get a whiff of it, will it kill you? Seems pretty easy to do.

Originally Posted By: ikeepmychevytoo
Why not just dilute with cheapest penetrating oil and wipe. Then which could be super-cleaned with any mild soap if really wanted. (I'd rather wait to dry with heat)

I also don't throw paper towels that used for cleaner oil, like checking AT level. Later I use them for gooey jobs. Better solvency.

Penetrating oil is what I always used to clean small oil spills ona moor or to clean tools. I assume it's one of the safer cleaners. I think a soap based cleaner like simply Green would be the least toxic cleaner, but then you have to rinse off the part.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Chlorinated brake cleaner is better

YES - it is a better cleaner, and also non-flammable. I use it for cleaning parts, tools, etc., and thought the good stuff was not around anymore, but discovered it is, and in fact ordered 3 cases right from the manufacturer today.
19.gif

So the general consensus is chlorinated brake cleaner? and where do you get "the good stuff"? I use a [censored] load of it so I need some of the good stuff to not remove the paint, etc....

Thanks..

Originally Posted By: superior_power
So the general consensus is chlorinated brake cleaner? and where do you get "the good stuff"? I use a [censored] load of it so I need some of the good stuff to not remove the paint, etc....

Thanks..

GUNK brand, aka Radiator Specialty Co. P/N M720. Free shipping off their website too if your order enough...

http://www.gunk.com/index.asp

Here's a new tidbit of info for ya...

Starting January 1st, 2010, the CRC (05089CA) will be illegal in the state of California because it DOES NOT meet the strict compliancy of the EPA of California. yet again, we lead the way in stupidity.
I don't think CRC wil be able to make a compliant formula this soon, specifically for Calif.
So if it's on the shelves, it can be sold, but the parts store won't be able to buy more of it.
The berryman brake spray is just as potent, and a dollar more.

Also.. Freon.. there'll be a $10 core fee applied to ONLY the 12oz cans of freon. the other size cans you can toss in the trash.
the 12oz cans, when brought back for a core refund.. those go in the trash too.

Gotta love the ignorance of the state lawmakers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back