Straight 60 weight in a Harley Shovelhead

Status
Not open for further replies.
the type of oil recommended was "harley davidson H.D. EXTRA HEAVY DUTY SAE 60" with the old 240 (hours?) rating. i think the later rating was " h.d. 360"

hth

Just get some Redline 20w-60 and be done with it. :)

Harley quit making Shovelheads in 1983 or 1984. Think about the advances in lubrication technology since then.

I used to run a straight 40, 50, or 60 weight (depending on the temperature) in my 1983 FLT. Now I just use Havoline 20W-50 all year 'round. 193,xxx miles on the old girl. Oh yes it has been rebuilt and more than once. And yes, the primary cover still leaves a spot here and there.

If you are using the MCV 20w-50 then you are taking a lot better care of yours than I am of mine.

These old bikes have a fair amount of fuel dilution so think about more frequent oil changes than the newer bikes. My two cents.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled program.

+1 on good 20w-50 oil. That HD 60 recommendation is probably as much tradition as roller bearing cranks. It ain't like Harley is trying anything "cutting edge" in their air-cooled engines. The only worries with a Shovelhead engine is heat and fuel contamination. New bikes with FI don't even have to worry about fuel contamination just heat (too many parades?)

FYI, Redline 20w60 was on sale on Amazon.com for 94.88/case with super saver free shipping recently. You may want to check that out.

Who puts $100 worth of Redline oil in a Shovelhead motor? Are you people crazy? That lump could run on recycled WD40 and never know the difference. Remember, roller crank, roller lifters, roller rockers, splash lubrication with whale fat oil would work in there. The 60 weight was to keep it from leaking out on the ground. Hello, AMF technology, remember? Jeez.....

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
That lump could run on recycled WD40
shocked2.gif
Lump? Not my baby!!

And who are these people who'de recycle WD40? That sounds too tightwad for even BITOG members.
Originally Posted By: ZGRider
The 60 weight was to keep it from leaking out on the ground. Hello, AMF technology, remember? Jeez.....
crazy2.gif
You don't care for AMF too??

I'm speechless!!
grin2.gif

In my '76 FLH, I replaced the OEM hydraulics with Velva-Touch, back in the early 80's. Vern Ott recommended 20W-50 for proper operation, so I moved from 60W synthetic to 20W-50 (both Amsoil). It had 20W-50 with every oil change right up until I totaled the bike in '04. The bike was my primary cross-country ride, with 78K miles on it when it came off the road.

My '59 FLH has always been my 'at home' bike, and I ran the same 20W-50 synthetic in it. However, I had solid adapters in it, rather than hydraulics. It finally died on my last August ('08; purchased it and put it on the road in the Fall of '74) and I have just recently put it back on the road, with 10W-40 Amsoil as break-in oil, along with OEM hydraulics back in place of the solids. Bike runs good on the short runs that I'm making for the time being. But, when the oil warms up, the lifters/valves become very noisy. I have switched to 20W-50, as the ambient temps here in North Central N.Carolina have become much warmer, so I need the bit heavier viscosity for the OEM hydraulics to pump up properly. Later on, I'll switch to 60W Amsoil, when I put it out on the road for some serious distance travels.

My point is: 60W is a must for the OEM hydraulics to perform properly, when the engine and oil are hot. Other than that, I've proven that 20W-50 gives excellent protection in both Shovels and Pans.

Jack

P.S. - I love AMF technology. I've also proven that it would take me anywhere in the U.S. that I wanted to go. The '76 has been in every state, but R.I., Hawaii, and Alaska.

Last edited:
Jack, your thoughts and experiences with older Harleys are similiar to mine. I've never had serious troubles with my AMF engines.

I've been on many multi thousand mile trips with them. I have had problems, but most were minor (point gap closing up, centrifigal advance problems, carb getting plugged with junk, etc.) I had an old ironhead sporty that sounded like it was grinding rocks inside the motor but it caried me to Sturgis and back 3 times without a hitch.

I have had oil leakers too, but usually have been able to get them fairly oil tight with some dilegence. My current shovel doesn't leak from the engine or tranny.

I'll agree with those that feel the AMF's were more problematic than the pre and post, but I think that was due to poor machining from worn tooling, and their trying produce more bikes than they were set up to do, causing quality control issues. I dn't think AMF did much design changing in the tenure. They did make some changes, increase displacement, etc., but no major overhauls of design I can think of.

Concerning oil weight and lifters. I've a friend who used to ride an '80 FLT. He always ran 20w50. On occasion we'de come off the highway from a hard run and his would start ticking. Would go away after cool down.

Nothing more humourous than HD riders talking oil. I get this mental picture of HD owners in white lab coats with a stethoscope perpetually hanging around their neck and an oil intravenous going into their engine. Like a doctor with a patient about to expire. More time spent worrying than riding....

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Nothing more humourous than HD riders talking oil. I get this mental picture of HD owners in white lab coats with a stethoscope perpetually hanging around their neck and an oil intravenous going into their engine. Like a doctor with a patient about to expire. More time spent worrying than riding....
That's just plain silly. I, for one, often take my stethoscope off when I go back in the house.

FWIW, it is an oil forum. I'm sure there must be some other "group" of enthusiest's here than might seem alittle anal when it comes to their machine's of interest?

Like them weirdo airplane guy's, maybe?
35.gif
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back