New Dex-Cool Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Then explain to me why there are millions of cars on the road with Dex-Cool that do NOT have issues?

But how many non-Dexcool vehicles, like say Ford or Honda, have coolant sludge/gunk issues? None?

So what's the better choice here:

Go with a coolant that MUCH of the time does not have issues just because it is the factory coolant....

OR

Go with the coolant that doesn't have ANY issues?

People normally like to limit their risk. Swapping out the coolant for something better is doing just that.

I serviced a Ford with Dexcool for a decade. No issue there.
One of my Nissans was serviced with Dexcool for 1/2 a decade. No issue there.

Actually, I don't have coolant related issues. Hint-- SERVICE your coolant.

The mistake that all automakers make is not being detailed enough with maintenance intervals. The real world embarrased their best engineering tests. Happens to all automakers.

I have dexcool in two vehicles. I just started to look at this forum on BITOG and seems like Dexcool is maybe no good. Should/Can I replace it and if so, with what?

Originally Posted By: jshaw
I have dexcool in two vehicles. I just started to look at this forum on BITOG and seems like Dexcool is maybe no good. Should/Can I replace it and if so, with what?

Well assuming you are not under a GM warranty then you have two choices if you do not want a Dex-Clone. That would be Peak Global and Zerex G-05. Both do not contain 2-EH (which you do not want).

While its best to flush out as much Dex-Cool as you can via flush with distilled (or deionized) water, both are fully compatible with Dex-Cool, thus you do not need to get 100% of the Dex-Cool out of the system.

I see many, many cars/trucks with dex-cool [censored]. For example, a cab came in for a rad flush and there was cake like deposits under his rad cap. Obviously neglected, but even a chemical flush didn't remove the crud. Many others come in and have junk in the rad, reservoir, probably everywhere else I can't see.

I don't see nearly as much junk in coolant systems with EG. Even if the coolant is rusty and old, there's no build up.

Bottom line, DEX-COOL has problems.

Originally Posted By: jdeare
It seems like there was a disconnect somewhere along the line at GM. Like the group that decided to use Dex did not talk to the group that decided to use nylon gaskets.

The entire 'gasket group' in GM powertrain should have been fired years ago. It seems GM can't make a 'V' design engine anymore that doesn't have one gasket issue or another. This combined with GM's refusal to fix the problem has cost GM a lot of repeat business and hence probably it's existence.

I've always thought that the gaskets and not the Dexcool were the problem.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Prestone, Peak Long Life, and all of the "all makes all models" coolants are all the same as Dexcool.
Ok, so where would one get the G-05 spec coolant in Canada?

Walmart in Toronto carries the Xerex G-05. Redfern Automotive in Toronto also carries G-05. Chrysler Pink and Ford Gold coolants are also G-05. Chrysler and Ford dealers will have them in stock.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Walmart in Toronto carries the Xerex G-05. Redfern Automotive in Toronto also carries G-05. Chrysler Pink and Ford Gold coolants are also G-05. Chrysler and Ford dealers will have them in stock.
Ok, cool, thanks for the info, I will be getting my hands on one of those and doing coolant flushes on both vehicles.

Quote:
Prestone, Peak Long Life, and all of the "all makes all models" coolants are all the same as Dexcool.
Not doubting you per se, but if that is true, why does the Prestone web site list/market both Prestone AM/M Long Life and a Dex-Cool Extended Life? Seems like a waste, and possible false advertising.
21.gif

Haven't heard of any major failures or law suits regarding Prestone AM/M.

Peak LL advertises a "phosphate-free and silicate-free formula". Is that the same as Dex-Cool EL?

It might be overstating things to say that the assorted "all makes" coolants are "the same as Dexcool". We don't know that for sure. What we DO know is that according to the MSDS sheet on every "all makes" coolant that I've investigated (including Prestone), these coolants use the same 2eha corrosion inhibitor as Dexcool. 2eha is the infamous plasticizer in Dexcool that eats gaskets... and likely plays a role in that mysterious and hotly debated reaction that results in the infamous Dex-Sludge.

So while it may or may not be "the same as Dexcool", it is very SIMILAR to Dexcool. Similar enough that I won't use the stuff... seeings how proven and trouble-free alternatives are available.

Originally Posted By: onion
So while it may or may not be "the same as Dexcool", it is very SIMILAR to Dexcool. Similar enough that I won't use the stuff... seeings how proven and trouble-free alternatives are available.

PEAK Global Lifetime (gold jug) doesn't contain 2-EHA.

That's true. Is it marketed as an "all makes" coolant?

Yes.

It might be overstating things to say that the assorted "all makes" coolants are "the same as Dexcool". We don't know that for sure. What we DO know is that according to the MSDS sheet on every "all makes" coolant that I've investigated (including Prestone), these coolants use the same 2eha corrosion inhibitor as Dexcool. 2eha is the infamous plasticizer in Dexcool that eats gaskets... and likely plays a role in that mysterious and hotly debated reaction that results in the infamous Dex-Sludge.

Yea, that's what I should have said onion. They are so close to being Dexcool that for all practical purposes, they are Dexcool.

Hey, just because we share 99% of our DNA with primates doesn't mean we like to swing in tree.

Point being something really similar to Dex yet isn't Dex may not share the same problems.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Hey, just because we share 99% of our DNA with primates doesn't mean we like to swing in tree.

Speak for yourself.

Quote:
Point being something really similar to Dex yet isn't Dex may not share the same problems.

They both share the same plasticizer OAT additive (2eha) that's been proven to attack gasket materials. Why would you take the chance?

If you're looking to get away from dexcool... seems like you'd pick a coolant that is somehow demonstrably different from dexcool.

And if your vehicle doesn't specify Dexcool... then why the [censored] would you put that stuff in your cooling system, considering the well-known problems associated with dexcool/2eha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back