Die electric grease the same as silicon lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is that dielectric grease is for the rubber boot on the ceramic plug insulator, NOT for the contacts. Yes, it is probably squeezed out of the metal-to-metal contact so does no harm, but it isn't intended for the contacts.

Use a conductive anti-sieze paste on the spark plug threads, cuz this part of the circuit.

For low temp contacts, a conductive and oxide-cleaning product like Ox-gard works very well. (available in your local hardware store.)

Originally Posted By: bigsteve
Can Dielectric grease be used on the metal ends on the old style automotive fuse? What about when under the negative battery cable end that connects to the frame or engine?

Yep, it will work great for those applications mentioned. A mechanical metal to metal connection is still made, so the grease won't interfere with the connection. I assume you're using it to stop corrosion in those places.

So far nobody I've seen posters who didn't know the meaning of "dielectric" and didn't know the difference between "silicon" and "silicone", but nobody has yet confirmed whether the stuff sold now as dielectric tune-up grease is the same as what we used to buy as silicone dielectric compound or just silicone grease. It looks and feels the same, but is it? If it says "dielectric", it's obviously good for ignition applications, but if you want to use it to assemble brake parts, you want the high temperature properties of silicone. At least a tube of Permatex dielectric tune-up grease I have says it contains polydimethylsiloxane, which belongs to a group of compounds called silicones. I seem to recall that the silicone grease I used to buy cost more than the dielectric grease you get today, so maybe it's best just for dielectric and waterproofing applications and if you're doing brakes you may be safer using stuff specifically designed for that. I don't know. When I do brakes I just mix some of the dielectric grease with some anti-seize I have.

Originally Posted By: Oldyellr
If it says "dielectric", it's obviously good for ignition applications, but if you want to use it to assemble brake parts, you want the high temperature properties of silicone.

Sparkplugs get pretty hot.

I wouldn't use anti-seize on brake caliper pins.

Originally Posted By: Georgiadave
I think there is a bit of salesmanship associated with dielectric grease. Current is conducted via the microscopic irregularitie in any metal to metal contact. The current is not going to leak through any lubicant that you apply, because that is not the way it is conducted. Grease any electrical connnector with anything high temp and you will not see any difference.

Exactly- the grease is there to protect the connector. A dielectric grease is used so that the current doesn't conduct through the grease and go where it shouldn't. The current is still conducted metal to metal- the metal conductors "push" the grease aside to mate. Because of that, the capacitance is mostly irrelevant.

Originally Posted By: Oldyellr
So far nobody I've seen posters who didn't know the meaning of "dielectric" and didn't know the difference between "silicon" and "silicone", but nobody has yet confirmed whether the stuff sold now as dielectric tune-up grease is the same as what we used to buy as silicone dielectric compound or just silicone grease. It looks and feels the same, but is it? If it says "dielectric", it's obviously good for ignition applications, but if you want to use it to assemble brake parts, you want the high temperature properties of silicone. At least a tube of Permatex dielectric tune-up grease I have says it contains polydimethylsiloxane, which belongs to a group of compounds called silicones. I seem to recall that the silicone grease I used to buy cost more than the dielectric grease you get today, so maybe it's best just for dielectric and waterproofing applications and if you're doing brakes you may be safer using stuff specifically designed for that. I don't know. When I do brakes I just mix some of the dielectric grease with some anti-seize I have.

Silicon is an element, silicone is a compound made from that element. Silicone grease may well be dielectric, but that doesn't necessarily mean all dielectrics are silicone.

Originally Posted By: swalve

Silicon is an element, silicone is a compound made from that element.

That's a minor pet peave of mine as well.

You often hear of people discussing silicon breast implants...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back