Oil for Honda Mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner's manual for my 20 year old Honda mower, with the GXV120 engine, specifies a 10W40 oil for all temperature use. For the last year I have been using Rotella 10W30 in this old mower. Are the latest Honda mowers still using 10W40, or is Honda recommending a lighter oil for their latest mowers?

I don't have a Honda mower but the units I've seen on sale include a bottle of 10W-30 oil. Next time you're at Home Depot, check out the Honda's on display and see for yourself.

In the GX and GC series engines I've maintained (non-mower use) I've used either a 10W-30 or 30W.

I have a newer mower with that engine and it calls for 10W30. I use Super Tech Synthetic - 20 oz as I recall and change it a couple of times a season.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
The owner's manual for my 20 year old Honda mower, with the GXV120 engine, specifies a 10W40 oil for all temperature use. For the last year I have been using Rotella 10W30 in this old mower. Are the latest Honda mowers still using 10W40, or is Honda recommending a lighter oil for their latest mowers?

Mine calls for 10W30/30W...I use Amsoil Small engine forumula. What was used during its 19 years of life?

For the first 19 years it has had various dino 10W40s. Hard to start most of last year, but once it is started it runs fine.

For the first 19 years it has had various dino 10W40s. Hard to start most of last year, but once it is started it runs fine.

Maybe the pull start is [censored] out.

Castrol Syntec 10W-30 here. Changed it twice so far, but I've only had mine for less than a year.. Using a Honda HRX217K2HXA. It's a lovely mower, and it starts on the first pull every time, even the first cold start of the season. I know I'm spoiled....

My mower, purchased in 2000, has the Honda 160 GCV. For most of its life, it got a yearly change of Mobil 1 5W30. One year, I had a quart of M1 0W30 laying around, and I used that. I have an hour meter on this engine, and it has been used betwewen 55 and 65 hours a year. It has never used any oil between yearly changes. I used the last of my old formula SL M1 year before last, and I am now using Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W30 in it, which is still an SL formulation. It is still not requiring any oil addition in a 60 hour OCI.

My mower has the 160GCV as well, and I just filled it with Maxlife 10w30.

On my old Briggs powered Snapper, I had best results with M1 TDT 5w-40, it would tend to burn off 30wt over the course of a season. The dipstick never moved with the M1 TDT. I still have it, runs good but I should probably Craigslist it.

I too have a 20+ year old Honda--HRS21-FH push mower with the standard 3 1/2 HP 100cc GXV engine. At first I used 10W-30 but soon realized that I only used it when it was warm outside so I switched to 20W-50 and noticed an increase in torque, especially when under heavy load, ie tall grass. I figure that the extra film strength of 20W-50 reduces blow-by. I've come to believe that if properly cared for, these mowers (with their commercial-grade engines) are immortal.

Last month, I disassembled and cleaned the carburetor for the first time in 20 years. Glad that Honda still stocks all the gaskets, cost about $30. The carb was only mildly dirty, with some reddish gunk inside it. This little carb appears to be a high quality unit.

Starts much easier now. Have Rotella T 10W30 in it now. Should be good for another 20 years.
grin2.gif

10/30 M1 EP synthetic July and November changes. Oil comes out almost as clear as it goes in.

I used to use M1 10W-30 in my 2001 Honda Harmony II but for the last few years I've used AMSOIL ASL 5W-30 and now ACD 10W-30/30. Using a xW-30 should be fine IMO, and perhaps better than a xW-40 in terms of shear stability.

I have found my Honda mower to be truly outstanding in performance and reliability.

I have a 6 year old HR215 with a GXV140 engine. I believe the manual calls for 10W30. I used M1 10W30 at first, one summer I used a blend of M1 10W30 and M1 0W40 which was "around". Lately I've been using Amsoil ASE. I notice that there seems to be more noise from the valve gear (pushrods in the GX series) running ASE.

OCIs are typically once per year prior to storage as growing season is May-October and the summers are dry and the lawn is often dormant mid-summer requiring very little mowing. One wet year I changed the oil mid-summer as well.

If this was a winter machine I'd run GC.

On the topic of hard starting, I was having a heck of time with mine for a while. It turns out that the choke and cable adjustments (throttle/choke is one control on my model) had come out of adjustment and the choke wasn't QUITE closing fully. After a little turn of a screw and being sure that I push the control firmly to the end-stop at CHOKE it's now an easy cold starter again.

The book for my HR214 has the usual chart with 20w-50 down to 10w-30. I've used ST SAE30, and Mobil1 0w-40 that i had leftover. I did try Delo 15w-40 and that cut down the startup smoke a bit. These GXV engines are great except for the oil control rings that wear out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back