3,000 miles,uses a qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gj

i have a 2000 hyundai accent 106,000 miles,still runs good. it seems to use a qt of oil every 3,000 miles. not exsessive i know. i've used m1 10w30 for the last 60,000 miles. last change i switched to ep 10w30.since i'm having to add a qt. i'm thinking to go to one of the high mileage oils. castrol 10w30 possibly.anyone see any problem with that? thought i would oci it every 4,000 miles.the car has no leaks,and doesn't seem to burn oil.thanks

A quart of oil every 3000 miles is really no problem in a 100,000 mile motor. I would not worry about it at all.
smile.gif

Instead of switching brand names, why not try the T&SUV Mobil 1 formula 5w-40. Bet you'd only have to add 1/2 qt, if that, after 3K miles.

A high mileage formula will most likely equate into a high 30wt, low 40wt anyways.

I wouldn't sweat a quart per 3000 miles either.

Frankly, I'm content if my vehicles stay under a quart per 1000 miles but that's just me.

quote:

Originally posted by Raven18940:
The problem is it's a Hyundai.

Wow that took some thought didn't it.
rolleyes.gif

Anyways did the car always consume oil or did it just start recently? As others said 1q/3000 isn't too bad but could be better.
Maybe you could try the M1 0W40, or the 5W40 Truck/Suv oil. Maybe an AutoRX treatment could help to decrease the consumption.

Well, just check yourself into the 3m/3k corral and you'll never have to worry about it. (Hotel California playing in background)
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ramblin Fever:
Instead of switching brand names, why not try the T&SUV Mobil 1 formula 5w-40. Bet you'd only have to add 1/2 qt, if that, after 3K miles.

A high mileage formula will most likely equate into a high 30wt, low 40wt anyways.

I'll agree with that in general. Switching is fine for 4K oci's, but if he wants to stay synthetic the 5W-40 just might reduce consumption nicely.

Maybe Delo 400 would be good in this application aswell, if your looking for something a lil cheaper!

Did it start suddenlly (PCV) or gradually? If gradually, sometimes a thicker oil is the fix for a few years.
Our local Hyundai dealers use 15W-40 in all Hyundai's.

A quart every 3K with 100+K miles is nothing to worry about.

Why not take advantage of it? Use the same oil and add a quart at 3K and then extend your OCI to 5K miles. At the 3K mark you are getting a quart of clean oil and fresh additives.

I've owned and personally serviced five Hyundais over the past 17 years. Not one of them consumed oil in excess of a 1/4 quart over three-thousand mile OCIs. All except my current '03 Sonata V6 clocked well in excess of 175,000 miles on conventional 10W-30 motor oil - generally in the lowest-common-denominator price range. None were babied or beaten. My late ex-wife's '02 Taurus with the DuraTec V6 was an entirely different matter. It started out consuming 1 quart per 3,000 thousand miles and by the time the warranty was up, had graduated to 1 1/2 quarts per 3,000 miles due to leakage. Ford insisted that, and the leakage, was normal consumption. Fortunately for me, by the time she bought that car, neither she, nor the car, were any longer my concern. You Hyundai naysayers can say what you want about the brand, but the company definitely knows how to, and does, build reliable engines. Transmissions are another matter.

i can't complain. owned 2 other than being on the small side.still going strong. and it gets 35 mpg.

I would conserned if my motor consumes that much of oil, nothing you can do to with it though. Probably it just the nature of that beast. Just keep driving and stop thinking about it.

The combustion chambers and rings should be very clean because you've been using M1.

I would not trade off the benifits of thinner oil though. Instead, try a 30 wt conventional for 2 OCI's for comparison.

Have you checked your spark plugs?

Joe

just put in new boshce spark plugs. as i speak it's in the shop having the fuel system cleaned.the car started the oil using thing within the last year and a half.plugs looked good when i removed them.think i'll use the cheaper high milege castrol. i wonder if a vehicle doesn't leak,and doesn't appear to burn oil where does it go? wear out ? thanks for everyone's output.

thanks,i switched to10w-30, gtx hm,it's been 3,000 miles.it's only down a half ,as compared to the m1,and m1 ep i've used. i know syn oils have their place for extreme ususes ,but i think it's dino oils for me here on out. i'm using the left over ep in my lawn mower.

I thought Hyundai's had the temp. dependant oil viscosity chart which would mean that a 5-30 should only be used to about 10-15C. Try a 5-40 or 10-40. Or auto-rx it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back