SAE30 oils (automotive v. small engine)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are all SAE30 oils the same? Ie, Pennzoil/Valvoline 30w vs. Briggs & Stratton 30W oils? The Briggs claims to be "formulated" for small air-cooled engines.. Are they all basically the same or are oils for power equipment formualted differently from automotive applications?

There may be some minor differences in the additive package used.
Small engines are air cooled, and that means higher temperatures for the motor and the oil.
In the real world, it's not likely you'll notice any real difference.
Many, if not most, small engines now suggest a multi-grade oil.

Be aware too that some SAE 30 oils are "non-detergent" oils (they say it right on the bottle) which were spec'd for engines some time ago. But the vast majority of SAE 30wt's are the modern kind with the detergents.

Last edited:
Many automotive SAE 30s, like the Valvoline Premium Conventonal I will be running in my van and truck this summer, are low on zddp. Not sure what the requirements are for lawn mowers, but I suspect the B&S oil has higher zddp levels. So the recommendation above to use an HDMO oil is good. But I would probably run Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil (which comes in SAE 30, 40, 50, 60, 10w30, and 20w50), has nearly twice the zddp as modern SM automotive oils (and probably a good bit more zddp than current spec HDMO), and for a racing oil has detergents/dispersents making it fully sreetable for normal OCI.

I could not find any VOA on B&S mower oil, but here is a UOA on the factory fill for a B&S motor. Also has a link for the Toro oil PDS in the thread. To me looks not much diferent from what a typical HD30 or even a PCMO may have started out as.

B&S oil is the same as Brad Penn as he relabels it for B&S.

It is green...has a ton of ZDDP and is superior to any other 30wt oils.

He has a website.

If I used a 30wt I would use Optimol (available at mower shops)...Brad Penn....or Castrol or Kendall. These I know are outstanding.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
B&S oil is the same as Brad Penn as he relabels it for B&S.

It is green...has a ton of ZDDP and is superior to any other 30wt oils.

He has a website.

If I used a 30wt I would use Optimol (available at mower shops)...Brad Penn....or Castrol or Kendall. These I know are outstanding.

my last bottle of Briggs oil was not green?

Quote:
Pennsoil Longlife 30wt has one of the best charts for straight 30wt

And, a LOT of guys swear by Castrol 30 HD.

Personally, I like Rotella 30.
thumbsup2.gif

Kohler's Brand of oil looks like it is a HDEO. If so a straight 30w in kohler might be easy to find at most lawn mower shops. but i cant find who makes kohler oil.

Quote:
The Briggs claims to be "formulated" for small air-cooled engines.. Are they all basically the same or are oils for power equipment formualted differently from automotive applications?

The manual that came with my b&s engine stated to use a HD 30wt if B&S oil was unavailable.

Alex.

My 5hp push mower seems to burn less B&S oil than it did on GTX 10w30. I figured that if it was warranty certified by the manufactrer it was good enough. Granted this is only a $150 murray push mower, but these engines will run a long time with just about any oil as long as its kept full and changed regularly. I like that one bottle is just right to fill it up after a change.

I run 10w40 in my yard equipment. My lawn is so big (5 acres) it makes me feel better with 40wt in them. The JD needs a rebuild so it burns anything less than 40wt. I picked up some Syntec 20w50 for it on sale at ChinaMart. After all ChinaMart cleared out their Havoline so I have enough changes for years!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back