Farm and Fleet oil, No Starburst, very strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a couple of cases of Blain's Farm & Fleet 5W30 store brand motor oil on sale. In the text of the bottle labels, it claims to meet API SM and ILSAC GF-4 requirements, protecting new car warranties. It has the "Donut" symbol on the back of the bottle showing SM and Energy Conserving. However, it doesn't have the actual starburst symbol on the front of the bottle. Anybody know why this might be?

481430.jpg

It may just be an el cheapo label.

If it meets SM and GF-4, it sounds like it will hold up for a reasonable OCI.

Anyone know who bottles it??? WPP perhaps??

According to API they have the license and approval. Can't imagine why they don't put it on there unless it has something to do the the cost of printing labels.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Citgo...Pretty sure.

It's on sale for 99 cents/qt.

That's my guess too..considering they carry Citgo branded oil...

Thanks! I planned to go ahead and use it anyway. If it meets the requirements of GF-4, license or not, it's going to do the job for me just fine. I always use whatever oil of the proper grade and the latest rating is on sale, and have never had a lubrication related issue. Unless I neglect the maintenance or do something really stupid, I'm reasonably sure the engine will run just fine when the rest of the car hauled away to be recycled.

Out of curiosity, maybe I'll request a MSDS and see if it lists the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: Peter_Pan
As long as it meets GF-4 it qualifies for the Starburst.

Not necessairily. MaxLife, for example, meets or exceeds all protection requirements of ILSAC GF-4, but because it has an HTHS of 3.5 it cannot display the energy conserving starburst.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
Originally Posted By: Peter_Pan
As long as it meets GF-4 it qualifies for the Starburst.

Not necessairily. MaxLife, for example, meets or exceeds all protection requirements of ILSAC GF-4, but because it has an HTHS of 3.5 it cannot display the energy conserving starburst.

This is straight from API's Enginle Oil Licensing and Certification System:

Quote:
The ILSAC GF-4 minimum performance standard for passenger car motor oils (see Appendix Q, paragraph Q.4) provides the current basis for issuance of a license to use the API Certification Mark. (See 2.4 for a list of viscosity grades eligible to obtain a license to use the API Certification Mark.). Licensing of ILSAC GF-4 as the only ILSAC gasoline engine oil minimum performance standard is planned through July 2009. If warranted, this date may change upon agreement by API and ILSAC (e.g., due to new or unanticipated performance requirements).

Maybe I'm wrong, but based on what it reads it appears you need to meet GF-4 to get the starburst (a.k.a API Certification Mark). There is no two tiered provision. You either meet it and get the starburst or you do not. Maxlife claims to meet or exceed GF-4 protection, but has no license to back it up (confirmed by API's license look up site where it does not list Maxlife under Valvoline products with GF-4 certification).

Not that it matters anyways as I think Maxlife is one of the best PCMO's out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back