Dropped An Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was careless the other day in my pantry (where I store my oil and filters) when I was putting together some items for a Sunday picnic when I knocked a NAPA Gold filter still in its box from a shelf three feet from the floor. It made a horrible noise when it hit the the floor. I immediately grabbed the box and upon inspection of the filter I noticed a small but yet distinct dent in the domed end of the filter. I shook the filter and everything is still tight with no loose parts or rattle inside.

The question is should I use it or throw it out? This a NAPA Gold 1522 filter intended for '01 Chevy Silverado.

Thanks for any replies.

I'd use it.

But I'm a cheap *bleep*.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bowser
I was careless the other day in my pantry (where I store my oil and filters) when I was putting together some items for a Sunday picnic when I knocked a NAPA Gold filter still in its box from a shelf three feet from the floor. It made a horrible noise when it hit the the floor. I immediately grabbed the box and upon inspection of the filter I noticed a small but yet distinct dent in the domed end of the filter. I shook the filter and everything is still tight with no loose parts or rattle inside.

The question is should I use it or throw it out? This a NAPA Gold 1522 filter intended for '01 Chevy Silverado.

Thanks for any replies.

Some GM engine platforms have a TSB out that tell techs to check the oil filter for dents. Looks like something like that might hurt the oil pressure. Check for one for your vehicle to be sure.

Last edited:
that filter is just fine for use,you may loose a 1/8 oz of oil capacity but thats it,use it it's just fine.

Originally Posted By: Nyquist

Some GM engine platforms have a TSB out that tell techs to check the oil filter for dents. Looks like something like that might hurt the oil pressure. Check for one for your vehicle to be sure.

It would have to be a pretty big dent to hurt oil pressure ... like the whole side caved in.
shocked2.gif

I have heard that if there is a sharp dent that creases the can pretty good, that there is a chance the can could split and leak. I'd think it would have to be a pretty pronounced dent to do something like that. WIX filters have a pretty thick can, so if the dent is minor I'd say use it. I did the same thing with a WIX and used it with no problems.

I throw them away. I read a article where the dent can reduce the pressure capability of the can. The can is engineered for a 200+psi burst pressure, but only the way it was made. A dent causes a concentration in the stresses leading to a possible fatigue failure.

Cut your loss, NEVER use a dented filter. These people roll that steel to the absolute minimum that they figure they can make a profit and not get sued. You've compromised that shell. Only use it if that engine has very weak oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: Thingfish
It will cause your truck to explode, killing hundreds of kittens.

While the obvious threat to hundreds, if not thousands, of kittens is clear ...AND taken very seriously ...

http://filtercouncil.org/techdata/tsbs/97-8R1.html

(said like Boss Nass, King of the Gungas)

..but da SuperBusa boomba geeeeeeats da mostly mojo blbblbblblblblubblbler

boss_nass.jpg

It all depends on the physical properties and location of the subject dent - and also the level of paranoia within ones head. If you are paranoid (like some), then don't use it even if the dent is minor. Post up a photo of this evil dent ... let's see the carnage that produces so much strife.

I've used them. I've even found dents in the can on my wife's jeep where the filter smacked the motor mount and started to spin the filter off.

You just need to know what you're doing and not look
54.gif
if you fall into the conditions where it becomes an issue.

From the article referenced by the esteemed Mr. Allan above:

"The cost of replacing a dented filter is much less than the cost of the damages that could result from a dented filter that fails during service."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back