Seafoam in 1950 Ford 8N Gas Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anything bad happen if I was to do this? There is a little screen that is in the fuel line that screws into the carb. I blew a few chunks (yes, chunks) out of it yesterday, and that stopped it from dying every 20 seconds (wasn't getting enough fuel in the bowl). Just wondering what you guys think about Seafoam in the tank of this old thing. That's the only place I'd consider using it on this particular case.

Depends on what chunks were made of, can't dissolve rust. Can you pump out tank with some kind of suction to hopefully remove whatever it is? Ideally drop tank and clean with lines, maybe go into pump (mech?) and clean also. Is this original fabric? Is it stainless? Corrosion on something that old is almost a given, welcome to the world of classics, at least to some.

Never found the chunks. I was just blowing it out with my mouth. I guess I better leave it be. I'd hate to have any crud going all into the carburetor. It was neglected for probably 15-20 years (I have been driving it since I was 10). Probably had the same oil in it for 15+ years (until last year) I changed the oil for the first time once I started thinking about oil (thank you BITOG), and now am going through all the fluids on it. Right now, I'm trying to find what's best for the Gear Oil/Hydraulic Fluid for it (5 gallons). It was given to me not to long ago, been in my family since purchased new in 1950 (or 1951, I always forget). Great running tractor, hope to keep it that way for another 60+ years ;-)

Also makes my mamaw glad to see it running. She has farmed with it for decades. She's 86 and can still drive the thing perfectly. Taught me how to when I was 10.

I have a 1946 2N Ford tractor that my grandfather bought new. It still run great and I use it often. I have used Seafoam in the gas with no problems. Heck last summer I did a Auto RX on it will good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back