Grease for suspension bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to install a thicker anti-roll bar under the back of my car, and I'll want to lube the rubber bushings so it doesn't squeak. I've got some no-name high temp disc brake/wheel bearing grease that's who knows how old (probably only 5 years or so though).

Will this be sufficient or is there a different kind of lube you're supposed to use for suspension parts?

If the bushings are rubber, and the grease is petroleum based, it will probably eat the rubber. Bars usually come with a tube of very thick, and extremely tacky opaque white grease I assume is silicone based.

I guess I should've posted it over here in the Grease forum, I was thinking of it as a general maintenance question.

Good point about the rubber. This stuff doesn't say it's safe for rubber but it says it's a "lithium complex" grease on the container. I also have a spray can of white lithium grease I've used for sunroofs.

But maybe I should get a tube of grease marketed as suspension/bushing lube?

I've been told white grease is the best to use but from my experiences any grease that isn't waterproof will wash out. I think Sylglide would work well.

Are these bushings rubber or polyurethane?

Pick up a tube of Sil-Glyde at NAPA. Use it on your bushings and any other rubber parts you ever need to lube including brake internals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back