2.5 Nissan Altima motor oil suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, my fiance has had the Nissan dealer service her 06 Altima 2.5 since new and I plan change the oil myself from now on because they are shady (stripped a lug nut stud and didn't tell us
mad.gif
).

I know any motor oil will work, but does the qr25 engine like one better than others? It's been on dino oil all its life too btw (50k on the odometer).

My mom has the same car.....been using mobil since the day she got it new in 06.

Not 1 issue with that car...runs fantastic.

I would say....use PP or Mobil.....to me both are fantastic oils...that I have learned about on this site.

Keep us posted with what u choose.

Find out what the dealer bulk fill was and use that, if possible.Many here would say the same thing in a bottle is better than from a bulk bin, for various reasons.

If you're sticking with 5k oci's, then any quality dino will do, like Pennzoil, GTX, Valvoline, etc.

If you want to extend your oci, look at some of the quality synthetics available.

I'm currently using Castrol Syntec 5W-30 in the Sentra, and will change in a couple of weeks to Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic 5W-30. I found a huge difference in cold engine noise with the synthetic over the same viscosity dino. I'll run synthetic from now on.
I'm sure any 5W-30 (or 0W-30 for that matter) synthetic will work just fine.

Gary

Last edited:
My friend has a 4 cyl Altima. Almost 300,000 miles on nothing but Pennzoil yb. Car runs smooth as glass!!!!!!!!!! I`d recommend either Pennzoil yb or Valvoline dino. No need whatsoever for a synth.

You guys are lucky. My 02 SE-R drank oil like crazy no matter what type or brand was used.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
You guys are lucky. My 02 SE-R drank oil like crazy no matter what type or brand was used.

The 02 model was the worst for the qr25. Did you every remove the pre-cat? If not the screen inside it probably came apart and got sucked into the cylinders (which causes oil consumption in the qr25).

Luckily they fixed that probably on the 06+

I have a 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S which has the QR25DE engine. I did the first oil change at 3,900 and used Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 with a Mobil 1 M1-108 filter. It seemed to do real good all winter which was pretty [censored] cold here in Michigan. I turned over 10,000 miles yesterday and did my second oil change today. Again I used Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 but with a DENSO 150-1010 filter this time. I'm running 6,000 mile OCIs.

One of the things that I notice with my 04 2.5S is how quickly the oil turns dark after an oil/filter change and at the end of my OCI the oil is BLACK. Another is that the engine is much more quiet with a heavier weight/grade oil(10W40). I don't notice the timing chain rattling as much when cold and the idle is much more quiet. The whole car has been great thus far although I have had 3 recalls.

I have an 03 with the same motor. Had an excellent UOA with 4k OCI on Valvoline Conventional. Will extend to 5k on this OCI upon Blackstone recommendation.

I think any quality synthetic with a quality filter will easily get you that 6K OCI.

I'd look for the best value in both, but that's JMO.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Another is that the engine is much more quiet with a heavier weight/grade oil(10W40). I don't notice the timing chain rattling as much when cold and the idle is much more quiet.
Sort of off topic but I get the same/similar noise at start up when the ambient temp drops toward 32 F. Interesting that a thicker oil quiets the noise. I run 5W30 and for me it goes away after the oil gets warm.

I too have had several recalls, but the biggest repair was replacement of throttle actuator control assy. Talked them into goodwill replacement with a flat charge. Must have had to do lots of them, because a remanufactured part was quickly available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back