Where to purchase VW 502 oil in the U.S. ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whitesands
This is insane...Manual calls for 5W30 or 5W40 VW 502 spec and I've looked all over the place and can find only 1 oil that meets the specs of 5W40 and VW502 and that is castrol syntec 5W40 and it's nearly $8/quart...Does anyone know of a retailer that sells a larger variety of European oils ?

So the manual doesn't specifically state a "certified oil?"
LOL.gif

Just use the Castrol 5W-40 or 0W-30, or Mobil1 0W-40 and buy it on sale at Advance/Autozone for $30 for five quarts and a top end filter...

Without the OP specifying the exact vehicle, it's hard to help beyond enumerating the 502 oil for him.

I browsed through this thread rather quickly, so it may have already been mentioned....but Valvoline Synpower 5w30 is VW 502 approved and you can get it at virtually any auto parts place.

Thanks for all the suggestions
12.gif
...It's a 2009 Rabbit with a 2.5L inline 5...Called NAPA and finally, a retailer that does indeed carry a variety of VW spec oils...They had valvoline synpower 5W40 for $5.49...Not too bad.

I'm sure any quality synthetic 5W30 would be fine...But there's alot of talk about VW being picky about the VW502 cerification and since it's a new car I'll just stick with the 502 for now...All excellent replies and very helpful...Thank you.

12.gif
...It's a 2009 Rabbit with a 2.5L inline 5...Called NAPA and finally, a retailer that does indeed carry a variety of VW spec oils...They had valvoline synpower 5W40 for $5.49...Not too bad.

I'm sure any quality synthetic 5W30 would be fine...But there's alot of talk about VW being picky about the VW502 cerification and since it's a new car I'll just stick with the 502 for now...All excellent replies and very helpful...Thank you.

Looks synpower MST and MXL is on that list but not regular synpower.? If you are concerned about using a listed oil you may want to check into whether NAPA is selling regular or MST/MXL. From a valvoline website:

SynPower 0W-40, 5W-30, 5W-40

SynPower MXL 0W-30, 5W-30
Specifically formulated for Mercedes Benz and BMW LongLife service schedules

SynPower XL-III 5W-30
For the latest VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda extended oil drain schedules

SynPower MST 5W-30
Low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur) formulation prevents deposit build up in diesel particulate filters and reduces exhaust emission

As I posted in another thread, I looked all over town (except dealer...Yeah, PepBoys, Checker, Autozone, etc..) and only found one oil that is 502.

Mobil 1, 0W40 European Car

Living in Colorado where the temps can 'get down there', this is going to be our oil for the 2007 Rabbit. It has darn great specs!

Originally Posted By: GMFan
I browsed through this thread rather quickly, so it may have already been mentioned....but Valvoline Synpower 5w30 is VW 502 approved and you can get it at virtually any auto parts place.

I am not sure that is correct. Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 MST is VW 502 approved, but regular Valvoline Synpower 5W-30 does not have that certification.
http://www.valvoline.com/products/Synpower.pdf

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
As I posted in another thread, I looked all over town (except dealer...Yeah, PepBoys, Checker, Autozone, etc..) and only found one oil that is 502.

Mobil 1, 0W40 European Car

Living in Colorado where the temps can 'get down there', this is going to be our oil for the 2007 Rabbit. It has darn great specs!

Walmart sells the Mobil1 0w40 here

SynPower MST 5W-40

You may have to contact local Ashland dealer to get your hands on this Oil!

Or contact local NOCO Distributors
and buy a case of Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30

Has anyone ever seen SynPower MST or Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 in North America? It's not made for this market, so I don't see why it would be available.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Has anyone ever seen SynPower MST or Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 in North America? It's not made for this market, so I don't see why it would be available.

Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 is available at some German car dealers (and maybe Chrysler) that sell cars that require this oil. There was a thread about this earlier.

There is one place selling it online at a decent price. The link has been posted on this forum previously.

Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is available at Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner dealers. It is listed as part #68001334AA.

12.gif

With an '09, you should have free maintenance.

I bought Valvoline Synpower MST 5W40 at NAPA and they had it on sale for $5.49/quart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back