Who Makes What Filter? - One more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buickmaster e

just like the other guy said. the m1 and k&n are internally the same.

They weren't 5 years ago. The can was thicker on the K$N the filter median was different also. Just bc they come out of the same factory doesn't mean a thing. And who is to even know what factory they come out now-a-days irregardless of the name on them.

Originally Posted By: Petrou
uh baldwin makes both fram and wix, which are the same as napa gold. now they build the filters to the designer spec. baldwin filters are basically a generic wix and napa gold filter. fram filters are a marked up super tech filter. super tech is a generic fram.

Uh...wrong. Baldwin is made by Clarcor. Wix is a subsidiary of Dana, and they make the NAPA and Carquest filters. Honeywell makes Fram and a host of other brands and some OEM filters. Champion Labs makes Super Tech filters, as well as Mobil 1, K&N, and a host of OEM filters (including Mopar and Motorcraft factory fit). Purolator makes Motorcraft (service) filters, as well as Bosch (in the US).

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
uh baldwin makes both fram and wix, which are the same as napa gold. now they build the filters to the designer spec. baldwin filters are basically a generic wix and napa gold filter. fram filters are a marked up super tech filter. super tech is a generic fram.

Uh...wrong. Baldwin is made by Clarcor. Wix is a subsidiary of Dana, and they make the NAPA and Carquest filters. Honeywell makes Fram and a host of other brands and some OEM filters. Champion Labs makes Super Tech filters, as well as Mobil 1, K&N, and a host of OEM filters (including Mopar and Motorcraft factory fit). Purolator makes Motorcraft (service) filters, as well as Bosch (in the US).

FYI: Dana sold off their automotive aftermarket businesses (Wix, Raybestos, some Spicer etc) to Affinia Group shortly before they (Dana) filed for bankruptcy.

Baldwin is owned by Clarcor. And Purolator is owned by Honeywell

G-manI'm still waiting for an answer to my invitation a few years back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete C.

FYI: Dana sold off their automotive aftermarket businesses (Wix, Raybestos, some Spicer etc) to Affinia Group shortly before they (Dana) filed for bankruptcy.

Baldwin is owned by Clarcor. And Purolator is owned by Honeywell

G-manI'm still waiting for an answer to my invitation a few years back.

Didn't realize that about Dana. Last time I went by the Wix plant in Gastonia I could have sworn the sign by the Interstate still had Dana on it.

As for Purlator, if Honeywell owns them, that's news to me. Purlator used to be part of Clarcor (at least the air filtration part did). Got a link?

So Clarcor owns Baldwin. How does that invalidate what I said about who makes Baldwin filters? The point was that Baldwin doesn't make Fram or Wix filters, which is what they guy said.

As for your invitation, I have no idea what you are talking about. You must be nuts if you think I remember stuff on here from "a few years ago." If it was bull-s (which is what it sounds like), I purposely try to forget it.

What is your source for this misinformation?

Originally Posted By: mimelio
Scroll to bottom of Fram's site on right hand side you will see "© 2009 Honeywell International Inc" as they bought them about ten years ago.
http://www.fram.com/

I know Honeywell owns Fram. I don't think they own Purolator, too.

As for your invitation, I have no idea what you are talking about. You must be nuts if you think I remember stuff on here from "a few years ago." If it was bull-s (which is what it sounds like), I purposely try to forget it.

Well, my invitation was for you to come in for a plant visit.
And I wasn't trying to invalidate your statement, just clarify it.

Yes I was wrong about who owns Purolator.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete C.

Well, my invitation was for you to come in for a plant visit.
And I wasn't trying to invalidate your statement, just clarify it.

Yes I was wrong about who owns Purolator.

Sorry. Please accept my apology. I really didn't remember.

If you could have read some of the "invitations" I got in PMs over the years while I was a moderator, you'd understand why I responded the way I did. I've been invited to do things with my mother, my sister, my dog, myself...you name it.

I've been invited to do things with my mother, my sister, my dog, myself...you name it.

Hahahahah...hope I wasn't involved.
LOL.gif

Has anyone heard of AC delco going to a different supplier? The PF47 has definitely changed (new part# as well) I have pics of the two cut up if anyone cares, but the new one seems ALOT cheaper than the old one.

AC Delcos are now Champ Labs, and are pretty much the same filter as the Super Tech. Some believe that the AC's get better media, but this has not been confirmed.

This was just published today for GM dealers..

Quote:
Subject: SPO - Bulletin GMP09-073 - Design Change to PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, HUMMER and Pontiac (including MD)

DESCRIPTION:

ACDelco is implementing a design change on the PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 ACDelco oil filters due to capacity constraints on the current product design. GM engineers have approved the new design which will begin to be incorporated in upcoming vehicle designs. This OE approved and manufactured filter provides the same Duraguard filtration performance as the previous design and specifically utilizes the original ACDelco media that traps particles up to 25 microns. Additional features include a slightly smaller can, fully covered baseplate, non-metallic end caps and high strength nylon core. This newly designed oil filter has the benefits of not only bringing excellent filtration performance, it is also environmentally friendly with components that can now be easily separated into steel, oil and parts to incinerate, resulting in less waste.

At this time, the Durapack versions of the alternative design filter will begin shipping. The boxed or individually packaged versions will utilize the available production capacity on the original design, where possible, and will otherwise begin to roll over to the new alternative design.

GM Parts appreciates your business and stands behind each and every filter that we distribute with pride and confidence. Should you have any concerns or questions at all, please feel free to contact the writer or your local GM Parts Fixed Operations Development Manager.

EFFECTIVE DATE:

April 1, 2009

Translation: "We found a cheaper filter supplier."

Who writes this garbage?
Quote:
Duraguard filtration performance as the previous design and specifically utilizes the original ACDelco media that traps particles up to 25 microns.

I don't think they really means that they don't trap particles over 25 microns, but that's how it reads.

Marketing weasel (probably a nice person, otherwise). They're too used to using "up to" and forgot the "98% of" (or whatever number). Probably a former infomercial writer who stopped slumming it. They got to drop the disclaimer: "Unique situation. Your performance will probably be much less".

Originally Posted By: gmctodd
tmundal,

I would like to see pics please!

Here are some pictures of the old and new PF47's.

For reference the new one will be on the right in the pics.

I will have to wait until I get home to upload the closer shots of the filter media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back