How good are S&B filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDS

I want to replace my K&N air filter (10in, tube shape) with a better filtering part and was looking at S&B(another oil based filter) if S&B are bad, can anyone recommend a filter thats better?

Thanks.

I do not believe they are bad nor what you have but you will see many many people on the site probably do not like either. They will say stick with a regular paper air filter.

Comparing the K&N filters to the S&B, the S&B seems to have thicker or more consistent dense cotton pleating. Can't seem as meany light holes through the S&B I had compared to a K&N..

S&B are very good. I would not hesitate to use them (I have, and currently have one on). They are also ISO 5011 Certified. In terms of filtering, most the oil-guazed types are probably comparable. You might want to look into some of the "dry" media offerings as well.

IF you are set on running an oiled gauze filter, S&B is at the TOP of the list. Followed closely by Airaid. S&B uses more layers than K&N because they aim for 99% efficiency. Airaid uses the same layers as K&N, but one gauze layer is replaced by a tighter woven synthetic media. All superior to K&N in filter efficiency.

S&B has proven to be within 1% of paper filter efficiency and on the average 20-25% better flow.

I prefer the dry type filters (AFE Pro Dry, AEM Dry Flow, etc) simply because oiled filter require near perfect care when used with MAF sensor equipped vehicles.

I've been running an S&B filter on my AEM V2 intake on my Acura for years. I like the S&B because of its airflow top. I run it with a K&N Drycharger wrap with a piece of foam covering the top.

Never heard any of these companies Air filters being available in Canada?

S&B, AFE, AEM & Airaid...Nope!

So RGrant, who has a better Dry Filter AFE or AEM?

love to find out of anyone knows where and how we Canadians can get hold of them!

I think of the filters mentioned above can be purchased online as a fellow member mentioned that in another discussion to me!

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
Never heard any of these companies Air filters being available in Canada?

S&B, AFE, AEM & Airaid...Nope!

So RGrant, who has a better Dry Filter AFE or AEM?

love to find out of anyone knows where and how we Canadians can get hold of them!

I think of the filters mentioned above can be purchased online as a fellow member mentioned that in another discussion to me!

AFE Pro Dry vs AEM Dry Flow is a wash as far as I can tell. Both show near stock paper levels of SI in UOAs, and are within 5% of each other regarding flow rates per applications. I think AEM is usually a bit cheaper, but don't quote me. I've used the AEM conical filters on my cold air intakes and they were really well constructed, but I've seen an AFE panel filter that looked really well built too. I don't think you could pick a loser.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back