2007 Mazda5 automatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wondering if anyone has experience with this automatic?

any good recommendations on maintenece and fluids for it?

sad to say i dont have an owners manual, i have no idea where it is. we bought the car used (68000 miles)because the family is growing and this is a "cool" minivan/wagon/sedan.

the miles are supposedly hwy miles. the prevoius owner had a long trip to work every day.

i checked the fluids before i bought it and the trans.fluid smelled and looked great (no burnt smell and quite clear, not really red like i am used to seeing)

one more thing, it seems that this transmission has a drain plug, which seems wonderful.

how often would you experts drain and fill?

thanks a million.

I would do a cooler line flush to start and then freshen up the fluid on interval. Amsoil would be my first choice, but its expensive.

Do a drain and fill of the pan, and then without starting the vehicle, setup for a cooler line flush. That is the absolute best and is better than you will get going to a shop to have a flush.

It's the same trans as my Mazda3. Specs Mazda M-V fluid. I've been draining and refilling with Castrol Import. Great results, drains have been clean and of good color. Cheap insurance.

The current Mazda ATF spec is called "Mazda ATF M-V", and VERY few universal fluids are approved for it. I'm not sure what is so special about it that so many companies are scared to recommend their fluid for this application? I believe Mazda changed over to this new spec ~2002-2003. They used to spec Mazda ATF M-III, which was equivalent to Mercon/Dexron III (back when things in ATF land were simple...)

As for Amsoil ATF, make sure you check to see the production date as Amsoil stated that their fluid would NOT work properly in Mazda ATF M-V applications as of February 24, 2006 : http://www.smartsynthetics.com/pdf/TSB-synthetic-universal-atf-applications-guide.pdf

I'm not sure what date Amsoil changed their recommendation against using their ATF in vehicles calling for Mazda ATF M-V...I haven't come across this info yet.

So your options are official Mazda ATF M-V from a Mazda dealer, Castrol Import Multi Vehicle, new multi-verhicle version of Mobil 1 ATF, new version of Amsoil ATF (not sure when it was changed), or Maxlife ATF.

I've emailed a several companies that make full synthetic multi-vehicle ATF and they have recommended AGAINST using their product in vehicles calling for Mazda ATF M-V.

What is so unique about this Mazda ATF M-V spec ???

never mind. i just found out it is not, though it seems mercon5 may be compatible with transmissions that take m-v fluid.

I was just wondering about tranny fluid options for the auto in my Mazda 5 when I saw this thread. I wouldn't mind sythetic if it will meet Mazda spec, and I realize the cost will be quite high with the amount of fluid they hold.

scottg, im heading to walmart tonight to check out their stock. i will let you know what i find that is compatible with the "5".

im thinking of doing the "poor mans" fluid change. i am going to drain all that is in the pan and refill (about 3-4 quarts i think)then drive it for about 1000 miles and do another drain and fill.

i think this will be more than adequate for keeping the fluid in good condition.

but deciding if i need to change the filter?? that is my next dilemma!

Filter might not be a bad idea since you have no history on the trans maint.

Fluids that can be used...Vavl MaxLife, Castrol Import, Mobil1 Syn Multi Vehicle, Amsoil.

Castrol Import has been working well for me...15k miles or so.

Like I said, Castrol Import works great, but if you want genuine Mazda M-V, I can PM you a site with a great price!

walmart has nothing, only a few different supertech fluids, but none with the right specs.

i also went to a couple of auto part places and the selection was slim.

i saw the multi-vehicle stuff from valvoline, castrol, and coastal. i didnt even consider the 8$ per bottle mobile products.

i read the back of the bottles, and the best any of them could tell me was "works in most fords and mazdas"

actually the coastal product seem to meet the most specs of any of them.

I'd go with the Castrol if you can find it. Also, their high mile atf meets the spec. Maxlife does too, and is a solid fluid for a really decent price.

I've heard you can use a Merc V fluid too, but not sure.

There are some places online that sell the M-V fluid for under 6 dollars shipped.

i've done a drain and fill with Castrol import on my mazda 3 with 4 sp. auto. works fine. Only thing is, it cost only about $1 per quart less than m-v fluid from the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back