Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The schaeffer's is hard to beat on price...

FWIW, I used Lucas one single time in my 99 Dodge Cummins...I had so much extra metal-on-metal rattle with it that I drained the new fill in 200 miles and refilled without the Lucas...noise went away. That was before I ever read this forum, and I never used it again.

I have used their trans additive in manuals with good results...

Does anybody know if their gear oil is any good? It appears that their oil stabilizer is just a giant wad of gooey s**t that does nothing to help protect your engine from what I've been told.

Because I couldn't find anything locally BUT their synthetic 75w90, I used it in the wife's Mustang. So far, it has performed well...as much as you can tell from visual inspection.

I also figured it wasn't an additive, but was actual gear oil.

Lucas is top notch would not change my trucks oil without it.One with over 360000 miles and no oil useage.Can't hurt.

And it appears the flash point was reduced somewhat as well.

Would I use a 115 cSt oil mix in my vehicle. No way!

Originally Posted By: TLC3
Lucas is top notch would not change my trucks oil without it.One with over 360000 miles and no oil useage.Can't hurt.

This ought to change your mind:

Lucas Virgin
TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

It's pointless, no matter who says what. I used to be stubborn (check page 2 or 3 of this thread) and said I still liked it after seeing that... but shortly after, I realized it was better to not be so stubborn.

This stuff is a subtractive, not an additive. It's only good in an engine that either leaks or smokes/burns a ton of oil IMO.

I wouldn't use it in a GOOD engine for anything. It makes your overall add pack 1/4 to 1/5 weaker (depends on how much you use and the size of your sump) and makes your oil way too thick.

I sent in a virgin oil sample of the Lucas Oil Stabilizer last year. Here are the reults. No additives, just a big viscosity improver -

lucas.png

The viscosity on this analysis is CST/100*C

Last edited:
Guys, I meticulously track my mileage ... to the point where I would notice tenths of an increase or decrease. If you want to 'test' the effect of products on your mileage, you MUST do this. Saying "I get between 18 - 22mpg" is completely useless as back up. Often any increases and decreases will be slight and meticulous data is required to quantify them.

I ask anyone that claims products increase or decrease fuel economy, please post at least 5 data points before and 5 data points after the change. Take an average and compare. If you are honest, and drove the same way, the same mix of city and highway, you'll have a legitimate claim.

This stuff thickens oil ... period. That thicker oil may provide better protection ... but the industry has been going to thinner lubes like 5W-20 ... which have been performing really well according to UOAs.

The seat of the pants dyno is saying these engines run better with this stuff? Smoother? Well of course a thicker oil will dampen mechanical noises coming from the engine. This does not mean it is protecting better ... just masking the sound of a worn or out-of-adjustment engine.

The idea that a thicker oil (with no known friction modifiers) with greater hydrodynamic drag will increase fuel economy flies in the face of simple physics. Where is the savings coming from? What principle of physics is at play here?

But if you can provide good data to back it up, I'm willing to look, listen and learn. :)

moe in wichita ks
a guy on an other forum ( talking about oil additives) said that if the product a copany has is any good someone will do a test that shows its a good product. SO WHERES THE lucas TEST?
i realy know where it is i just like to beat up on lucas

I agree. But it could be useful. I wouldnt use it in any more than about 5%, which will still thicken it appreciably. I have another use in mind for it, but Im not going to buy it.. Have to get ahold of an empty bottle and grab the scraping off the inside... should be more than enough..

Originally Posted By: morris
moe in wichita ks
a guy on an other forum ( talking about oil additives) said that if the product a copany has is any good someone will do a test that shows its a good product. SO WHERES THE lucas TEST?
i realy know where it is i just like to beat up on lucas

They are too busy building that football stadium with the profits.....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back