Oil for Direct Injection Intake Valve Deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I've seen an oil specifically marketed for Direct Injection Intake Valve Deposits.

"This next-generation engineering also offers excellent thermal stability, maximising keep clean engine performance and oxidation resistance under the most severe high temperature dirving conditions and minimises harmful intake valve deposits in direct injection systems (FSI) on VW and Audi gasoline power units."

Havoline Ultra V 5W30

It's a common problem, and I've seen pictures down the intake runner of engines with relatively low miles and lots of deposits. But yeah, interesting that they'd market this as a solution.

Maybe Halvoline is making a comeback?

I suspect that this oil is more suited for reciprocating engines than rotary(wankel) engines due to the "thermal stability" part (suspect that it may not burn clean).

Q.

Originally Posted By: RI_RS4
First time I've seen an oil specifically marketed for Direct Injection Intake Valve Deposits.

"This next-generation engineering also offers excellent thermal stability, maximising keep clean engine performance and oxidation resistance under the most severe high temperature dirving conditions and minimises harmful intake valve deposits in direct injection systems (FSI) on VW and Audi gasoline power units."

Havoline Ultra V 5W30

To be honest, this looks like "just marketing". They are claiming it does everything under the sun. The fact that it is low P and low viscosity scares me away from using it in an FSI engine. Definitely designed for VW specs (low SAPS, HTHS is only 3.54, only 0.04 above minimum vw spec.).

It is great that an oil manufacturer is recognizing the intake deposit issue, but are they recognizing the fuel dilution issue?

Why is TBN only 5.8? Are they using different units than we commonly use? If not, that is a [censored] starting TBN. compare to tbns found on UOAs:

tbn.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
It's a common problem, and I've seen pictures down the intake runner of engines with relatively low miles and lots of deposits. But yeah, interesting that they'd market this as a solution.

Sorta on-topic, but the Mazda MZR turbo DI engine is starting to show this at low miles in some cases.

Its kinda frightening some of the pictures I've seen of cars with 15-30k miles on them and their intake manifolds look like [censored].

Did manufacturers not really do any tests on these engines, I don't really see how they could have not "missed" it in normal testing. Or maybe they just assumed such a small portion of their customers would actually notice.

Saaber

I agree with you. I'm sure it's just marketing, and will be that this oil performs no better than Castrol Edge or other new 504 oils. What I find interesting is to see the problem acknowledged by an oil company, rather than Audi or VW.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

Maybe Halvoline is making a comeback?

Interesting. Some on this forum would say that it's not a problem since it has yet to be acknowledged by any manufacturer of DI engines.

Hi,
slightly OT (not DI) excessive valve deposits is by no means a new issue

This is why Techron was developed in the early 1970s (emission controls related). Deposits were around long before that and for many reasons of course. The cures were many!

As an example:

Porsche's TSB No 9207 dated April 17 1992 states:

Concern: Cars operated in certain parts of the US are more prone to carbon formation on the intake valves than in others

General Information: The following engine oils have been tested and found to contribute less to this carbon build-up. Use of one of these oils may prove helpful in cars operated in these areas of the country

Twenty lubricants are listed: Castrol (3), Mobil 1 (2), Pennzoil (1), Quaker State (12), Shell (1), Valvoline (1). Only two lubricants were synthetics!

Doug

Yes, your post is off topic. DI intake valve deposits are a totally different animal, and require different solutions.

Last edited:
Here are some related discussions about direct injection and intake deposits FYI. It would be nice to make an index of all the threads so that people don't just see them thorugh "hit and miss" but can focus in on DI, intake deposits, fuel dilution discussions if they want to. Any other related threads I'm missing in this small list?(I'm sure there are lots)

Long discussion on intake deposits, DI, photos of deposits, photos of pcv gunk, solutions, etc.

Seafoam, etc. valve cleaning procedure 2.0 FSI

2.0 FSI UOA database

An article on crankcase evacuation

Just use an intake fogger, change the oil afterward and call it a day.

How is an oil supposed to help the "intake valves". Unless there is something I'm overlooking, there is no oil in the intake tract.

It makes sense that this could be a problem for direct injection engines. Prior to direct injection, the main method of cutting down or cleaning up intake valve deposits was with fuel additives that cleaned the valves. With direct injection, the fuel no longer passes through the intake valves.

I'm not entirely sure that the best solution may not still be with fuel additives. After all, the deposits are combustion residue. It is just that no one has had a need to develop such a solution before.

It will be interesting to watch this develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back