Service Champ Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read that the Service Champ Oil filters are made by Champion and the are the encore design. Anyone have much expericence with these and if so any cut open pictures.

Unless they're all 3" or greater in diameter, they're not all Ecore's.

Yes, they're made by Champ Labs.

1907278.jpg

The filter installed on my car was a ph2840. Same size as the Wix 51394 ,Fram ph4967....looks like I have an encore.....

ph2840 In a Wix it's a 2.97 can diameter ..even smaller in ST. This should not be an Ecore.

If it is not the encore design how is the build quality? I am pretty sure it isn't close to a bosch design. Anyone have one of these cut open?

What you need to look for is the "blue button" for a bypass valve. The clicker type was a weak(er) point on the Champ low ball offerings. It never appeared to give any BITOG'R trouble ..but a quick lube owner ..with lots of cars with unknown mileage/time on the filter would show breached media.

Email Champ ..or call them. The contact info is on their web site.

Originally Posted By: mv6845
Anyone open a Service champ filter?

Yep, here is a Service Champ filter I pulled from the FIL's Toyota Camry when I first started maintaining it. Equivalent name brand filter is Purolator 10241/Fram 3614/Wix 51348.

champoilfilter.JPG

It's a standard ecore, endcaps were secure but the pleats were unevenly spaced.

OCI from what I can determine from their records was about 2700 miles and 16 months. I've since put them on a six month OCI regimen due to their daily city driving/idling and this engine's reputation as a sludger. (Their Camry only has 20k miles on the odo after nearly a decade!)

Champs almost always have a odd pleat spacing at the seam. It's because a human pushes it together.

They use them at a mechanic I go to, there's one on the Daewoo I maintain (they changed it last time it was in the shop since they had to change the valve cover gasket and some PCV hoses), and I could cut one apart and post pics when I change it next if you want (probably in 2 months or so)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back