what is the best power steering fluid to use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using the Redline Power Steering Fluid in my Chevrolet, seems like good stuff.

I will probably try Amsoil Power steering Fluid in the future.

There's nothing really special about PS fluid. There just isn't much to it. Maybe a synthetic if you don't like the cold weather performance.

Now here's a dumb question....

If ATF and power steering fluid are basically the same thing (ATF having friction modifiers), and ATF is basically a 5W-20 oil with different additives, would 5W-20 engine oil work in a power steering system?

I know that ATF seems thinner when it's cold, so I don't know how well it would work in cold temperatures.

Do not use motor oil in the PS system. The additives in motor oil will destroy the seals plus a few other bad things.

If it says use ATF, use the ATF you use in your automatic transmission.

If it says to use power steering fluid, use that. There's a big difference between power steering fluid and ATF. Mainly VIS and the additive package.

Best? there is no such thing.

Amsoil, Redline, Royalpurple have PSF for you to use.

Valvoline synpower is another option, and I've read a Kia tech sheet mentioning that ANY store bought PSF can be used for PSF3. So, PSF3 is nothing special but a typical PSF. PSF4 is their synthetic version to make up for the blown seals and hoses caused by excessive pressure when cold(common issue in Alaskan climate). PSF4 is available at the dealer and you can flush your system with it. And, its not recommended to mix since you won't benefit from a blend.

http://www.motorspot.com/MULTI ATF 8449 (GB).pdf

With Motul recommending an ATF, an full synthetic ATF is also an option.

My recommendation is to pick a fluid and stick with it. A full flush or multiple siphon/refills to remove as much as the old PSF3 is what I would do.

One thing going for Redline PS fluid is the base oil they use will take more heat than most other oils. I think the Redline fluid will maximize the life of the PS system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back