What is Lucas zddp additive? Saw a bottle at NAPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wa at my local NAPA place today, and talking with a guy thier, he seemed knowledgable about oil, additives, as i talked with him. He showed me a white bottle, black label, form LUCAS. It was an oil additive, he said was a zddp additive. Was good to use for bearings mainly for todays oils. Reading the back of tthe bottle, it was something like a 16 or 24 oz bottle, don't remember, Instructions said to pour the entire contents in, and drive for 1,000 miles, drain the refill with new oil. Didn't mention to use the product agian.
Talking to him, i mentioned i thought too much zinc was bad for the catalyc converter. HE agreed, but thought the lucas bottle was inda overkill.
SO! What is this stuff? What is it good for? HE also mentioned it was mainly for high reving engines, sports cars, racers, things of that nature.

Unless you drive a Yugo, you don't need it.

In all seriousness, adding such a large amount of ZDDP to a properly formulated engine oil will upset the additive balance. It is not something that I would consider doing.

Well we don't know how large an amount of zddp it is, because we don't have data on this product. It may only have 2000 ppm of zddp, which would raise the crankcase oil by about 200 ppm. OTOH, it might have 10,000 ppm, in which case it is a great product, but wasteful to drain out after 1000 miles, and would only need a third or half bottle to dope your oil.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
I wa at my local NAPA place today, and talking with a guy thier, he seemed knowledgable about oil, additives, as i talked with him. He showed me a white bottle, black label, form LUCAS. It was an oil additive, he said was a zddp additive. Was good to use for bearings mainly for todays oils. Reading the back of tthe bottle, it was something like a 16 or 24 oz bottle, don't remember, Instructions said to pour the entire contents in, and drive for 1,000 miles, drain the refill with new oil. Didn't mention to use the product agian.
Talking to him, i mentioned i thought too much zinc was bad for the catalyc converter. HE agreed, but thought the lucas bottle was inda overkill.
SO! What is this stuff? What is it good for? HE also mentioned it was mainly for high reving engines, sports cars, racers, things of that nature.

It is an Engine Break In Additive, you add it to a rebuilt engine to help protect it when you first run it.

Here is a pic of the bottle and a link to the MSDS.
EngineBreak-InOilAdditive-TBZincPlu.jpg

http://www.lucasoil.com/images/medialibrary/0DC0102E823EA69DA07DAA93244AA1F2.pdf

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
would this be good to add to man. trans oil?

Put this in your manual trans oil and your diff oil.
Works like magic and lasts a very long time. It makes your shifter work silky smooth, and in cars with very old fluids in there, putting in fresh syn gear oil with this product can make it feel like you took 500 lbs out of the trunk.

Tufoil

Thanks for the link postjeeprcr. MSDS suggests major zddp concentration. Need a VOA. This may be a killer additive where only a couple ounces per oil change are needed.

Tufoil is a Teflon additive and Teflon has never been shown to reduce or modify friction is colloidal form. In some cases it does quiet gear boxes but as a sound deadener.

I can see the Lucas additive being used for run-in, but with any ZDDP booster for other than run-in applicaions, how are you going to determine how much of this OTC additive should be added without testing?

Last edited:
Yep, got to test or call Lucas and see if they will give you the ppms for zinc and phos and whatever other adds.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Thanks for the link postjeeprcr. MSDS suggests major zddp concentration. Need a VOA. This may be a killer additive where only a couple ounces per oil change are needed.

Your welcome, I have a product sheet for it but I can't remember where I got it from and I did not see it on their website. If anyone wants to see it, PM me and I can email it to you.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
I have a product sheet for it ...
Thanks, I got the product sheet you sent. It says it's called Lucas TB Zinc-Plus. It does not give z and p levels, but does say "addition of 16 oz to 4.5 qts motor oil will achieve approximately 5000 ppm zinc."
shocked2.gif
Woah! I once ran 2000 ppm zinc in my F150 and there is question of whether at that level, but surely higher, you would get corrosion of the metal or some type of damaging effect. But 5000 ppm in the crankcase figures to the 16 ounce bottle having about 40,000 ppm zinc.!
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif
Even Bruce381's PCMO additive is only around 20,000 ppm zinc.

Then the sheet says "Add one bottle with every oil change to increase the zinc content of your motor oil." I can't believe they would say this if it is 40,000 ppm zinc. It does say not for passenger car use.

If it really has that much zinc, then one ounce should treat the whole crankcase to boost zinc by 250 ppm. This is great stuff, but I would want a VOA to confirm those zinc levels and to see what other stuff might be in it.

BTW, sheet also says 13.5 cst, so easy pour. But Bruce's 20,000 ppm stuff is pretty thick like maybe a 70 wt or molasses.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
This may be a killer additive where only a couple ounces per oil change are needed.
Why? Exactly what is inadequate with any modern engine oil in any modern stock engine that this product will help?

Save your money. If you want better oil, buy better oil. Don't try to home-brew.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Exactly what is inadequate with any modern engine oil in any modern stock engine that this product will help?

Save your money. If you want better oil, buy better oil. Don't try to home-brew.

There is no over the counter oil that you can buy that has 2000ppm zinc. Do I need that much zinc in my engine? Probably not but I would like to overkill on the additive than not having enough. I am currently using Redline race oil as a supplement to all of my oils to boost moly, zinc, and P.

I believe higher than my 1100ppm of zinc in my delvac would help in a high performance diesel application like mine. There is a lot of guys running higher hp diesels that add zinc. Im not sure if it's needed, but that's why I'm here to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back