Some drivers just hate cyclists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Good thing you didn't live in CA.

A good number of CA drivers hate cyclists. They pass them in a dangerous way, attempt to run them over, etc. Some people don't like to share the road.

Then again, there are some cyclists who ride at 4 mph on a busy street (riding as those they were a car) and backing up traffic for 1/2 a mile. There are always a few bad eggs that give all of us a bad rep.

A few?
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

You are a very funny man.

The majority of bicyclists I see on the road are jerks.

Originally Posted By: XS650

That's not surprising since most people are jerks.
wink.gif

I think one thing that gets drivers upset is when there is a bike path beside the road, and the biker still chooses to ride on the side of the road.

When I was doing much biking, I got an all terrain bike so I could ride on the shoulder when I had to go on main roads. No way am I going to ride at the edge of a traffic lane, I just don't trust drivers. All you need is one guy fiddling with the radio or cell phone for 2 seconds and boom you're history. Not worth it to me.

I get that a lot in my area. Riders side-by-side so one of them in on the white line causing the need to swerve to go around them. The "single file only" signs are ignored.

Originally Posted By: moribundman

That's not surprising since most people are jerks.
wink.gif

The majority of bicyclists on the road are über jerks, compared to the average jerk.

I'm not sure how to directly compare or (be)rate automotive, cyclist, and pedestrian jerks. Some are more easily wiped out than are others, that much is sure. Who's more of a jerk, the jerk on the bike who blazes unfazed through every stop sign, the jerk who blasts by a cyclist allowing a distance of 5 inches, or the pedestrian who makes random pirouettes while jaywalking?

As a driver I avoid driving where I know that lots of bikes are on the road. As a cyclist I avoid riding on roads where there are lots of cars.

PS: Most skateboarders and roller skaters are also jerks.

When a skateboarder runs into a car at an intersection and gets hurt it's an unfortunate tragedy.

When a 13+ year old does the same thing, he's an idiot, almost deserves it, no?

Most adult cyclists own cars, have been around cars, and should know better. I just bought a road bike. As i live in California, I know my California drivers. I plan my routes for sure. Some great scenic/adventerous roads for motorcycles/sports cars arent too safe for the road cycle.

I have no problem with cyclists, well, they do ride slower than car but they are usually more responsible because they lose out in any traffic accidents, than the slow pokes in V8 driving 25mph in 50mph lane or those soccer moms in SUV on a cell phone.

Now the Mass Effect people in San Francisco is another story. They do this every month on a (fist or last?) Friday as a group, violating all traffic rule, waste police resource, make a 30 mins commute 1.5 hr, and get into conflict with vehicles and in the end smashes a few windows just to release their angers.

A bunch of jack butt that deserved to be tickets in MASS EFFECT.

I used to bike to work, I can't say I had any close calls other than people opening doors on parked cars, but I was always looking in mirrors so I was ready to stop in time. I would never ride on some streets due to the narrowness and volume of angry people driving to work.
I took a bike course on how to ride in traffic and its worth taking if you plan on riding to work. We also had some bike cops with us on one our training rides, it was quite remarkable how well behaved the traffic was then!

I did participate in a "critical mass" event in university, it was a good learning experience about how people can quickly get a little out of control... Both cyclists and motorists...

Finally though it seems cities are being more bike friendly, cars are really a bad way to move alot of people so giving a safe alternative makes alot of sense.
Ian

Used to ride bike everywhere back in college because it was so expensive to buy parking permit and find parking (we had valets to double park for you) and bus wait was too long, far from classroom, etc.

Still misses it and now I live too far to bike and going to school at the same time, would have cost me 3-4 hours a day on a bike instead of 1.5-2 hours.

Last edited:
I feel your pain Wayne.

I am a long time Washington State resident. When I was in San Diego I noticed a lot of aggresive drivers. I started even catching up to them at lights and letting them know I did not appreciate what they did etc. It never did any good, they just looked like a cow at a passing train. Or they got angry at me.

It is getting worse no matter where you are. People have no patience. People that never bike where you do can't fathom why you are even biking there in the first place. Some people have never had their butts on a bike in the first place.

Sometimes even when there is a path I can't ride in it all the way because of rocks, bolts, glass etc. When you are on a road bike you can do a super man over the bars if you hit the wrong thing. People see a path and wonder why you are not completely in it.
Sometimes I risk my life more than I would like to......

In downtown Toronto there are Canada's absolutely worst cyclists. As a bus driver, I cannot tell you how often they creep in between ridiculously tight spaces in my blind spot, and they are stupid enough to cut a bus off. Yes sir, a 200lbs bike + rider combo cuts off a 20000lbs bus (and that's empty!)

Eventually, someone bleeps one of these morons, and they always have and incredulous look on their faces and a desire to sue the bus companies.

I must say, blowing the air horn at these idiots is mildly entertaining!

What bugs me is that the cyclists want all drivers to follow the rules of the road.....But a whole lot of cyclists do not....Do as I say not as I do...

I drive vehicles and try to have respect for bike riders. A lot of them don't ride the way they should.
But they should not be lumped together as all bad riders.

I am sensing that some of you guys don't ever ride bikes where cars happen to be........

X2.

Cyclists are not such a problem around here, but when I lived in Chapel Hill they were all over the roads just outside of town. The roads out there are mostly two lanes with little to no shoulder and a 45 MPH speed limit. The cyclists out there will back up traffic like it's their job. I have seen them riding side by side, and they refuse to get over or get in a line to allow cars to get around them.

That said, I don't want to be responsible for killing/injuring one, so I always try to give them plenty of room when I pass them. I just wish they would choose different roads, or one of the many bike paths around town instead of 45 MPH country roads.

How many of you that say the majority of bicyclists are jerks do any serious road bike riding. just curious because I sense and underlying sense that you want to mow them down.......
27.gif

I drive vehicles and ride bikes on the street as well. I can fairly judge car drivers and bikers while on a bike and while driving a car.

No excuse for riding side by side........

If you are on a road bike you need to eat up miles by the tens of miles. Hard to do that on bike paths, too much obstacles, people and stops etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back