VW GTI 1.8T Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAG

New update on my engine/oil issues. I post in this forum because it is a Euro engine and this thread is a continuation of a previous one here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=851595&fpart=1

I recently finished a 4800 mile run with Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck (CJ-4 version). Well, today I checked the valve cover area and PCV system, and found that the oil let me down. Varnish has again formed in these areas. I did not mean to run the oil this long but it just happened. I meant to go about 3700 miles, which with some other oils (like Amsoil ACD), no varnish formed anywhere.

So, I'm quite annoyed and not impressed with M1 5W-40 TDT CJ-4. It is pathetic that 5000 miles is too much to ask of a modern synthetic oil in a modern VW engine, driven in a normal manner. ACEA should use this engine to test long drain oils...it's an oil-killer.

Red Line 5W-30 is now in the engine. It will be interesting how good this oil does in my engine.

Not a expert, but varnish does not sound that bad. It is thin and will not block oil passages much, and is well stuck so should not move around and clog things. Gooey sludge much worse.IMHO.

Just reread portions of the O.T. and it seems to be causing you some understandable angst.

Are you just trying different oils? If ACD is working can't you find refuge there?

My 1.8T has varnish, always has since I bought it at 15k miles. It now has 134k miles and still runs like a champ. I think we make too much of varnish here.

simple gifts, yes I'm trying different oils for various reasons. I bought 65 qts. of M1 5W-40 on sale so that's what got me off of Amsoil ACD. Now that is not so pleasing. Sometime I may go back to using ACD.

jldcol, this varnish is film-like and also contains chunks of larger particles.

wayvinwayne, the 1.8T PCV system has some parts with very small orifices, so it does not take much to clog them. Then it doesn't work and you get all the negatives of not having crankcase ventilation. It is a terrible design. I replaced my once already at a cost of $500 for parts and labor. I won't do it again. If need be I'll run with a clogged system, but I'd attempt some kind of modification that ventilates the crankcase.

These same deposits also tend to cover the inside of the intercooler, reducing its cooling effectiveness. I've already cleaned that mess off of mine once...not pleasant.

I'm very surprised an oil as good as M1 TDT is not holding up well for you. Are you sure it's the oil JAG? The Redline run should be very interesting. How long until you see results for the RL?

buster, all the maintenance parts on the car that could effect combustion and therefore deposits are not past their replacement date. I don't detect any coolant leak into the oil. So I am blaming the oil.

I probably won't get a good idea of how the Red Line holds up until the 2nd fill of it. This first fill is tainted by the deposits already there.

bruno, I like some VW 502 approved oils and not others. That spec puts the bar above ACEA A3/B3 but not as high as some other specs like MB 229.5. So it's ok but nothing to get excited about. My warranty expired long ago and during that I used VW 502 oils. I had deposit issues in this engine with some of those oils too.

It should be interesting to see if RL will further clean and remove existing deposits.

That,s strange. I can't recall ever hearing a M1 lubed engine forming varnish like you are describing. Normally M1 keeps engines very clean. Sludge or varnish.

Quote:

It should be interesting to see if RL will further clean and remove existing deposits.

This seems to be a quality bestowed on RL oil by everyone except the mfg.

It took me several 6-9K runs to achieve maximum TBN retention.

This circumstance may warrant Terry's input.

Originally Posted By: JAG
simple gifts, yes I'm trying different oils for various reasons. I bought 65 qts. of M1 5W-40 on sale so that's what got me off of Amsoil ACD. Now that is not so pleasing. Sometime I may go back to using ACD.

I'm sure there are TDI owners in your area who will be happy to take that TDT off your hands.

Hello, what do you think about use 300V 0W40 in a VW 1.8T Stage 1 (about 155kW)? I have also a small additional oil cooler.

Now I'm using 8100 X-Lite 0W30. But X-Lite is no longer offered in my country. I want some premium oil like 300V, Millers CFS or Redline but Redline is expensive. CFS offers 0W30 (HTHS 3,11) and 5W40. 300V has lager range of weights for my engine - 5W30, 0W40 and 5W40.

Originally Posted By: Lada
Hello, what do you think about use 300V 0W40 in a VW 1.8T Stage 1 (about 155kW)? I have also a small additional oil cooler.

Now I'm using 8100 X-Lite 0W30. But X-Lite is no longer offered in my country. I want some premium oil like 300V, Millers CFS or Redline but Redline is expensive. CFS offers 0W30 (HTHS 3,11) and 5W40. 300V has lager range of weights for my engine - 5W30, 0W40 and 5W40.

You're grave digging a bit, don't you think? Stick to an oil with 502/A40/229.5/LL01 and you'll be fine. Doesn't have to be a boutique oil.

I know 502 is sufficient and 300V is "too good" for 1.8T. I like X-Lite with 502 (quieter engine, more stable temperature). But X-Lite is more expensive than 300V and same as CFS, so there is almost no price difference for me.

Last edited:
These days there's little reason not to use the 504/507 spec oils in VW engines. Especially turbo DI VW engines. the lower ash content leads to less intake deposits. With low/lower sulphur fuels, the lower TBN is of little concern for anyone who frequents this forum.

PP Euro LX (helix ultra for the global audience) 0W30 is my pick. Even use it in my Saab 9-5 turbo.

Jordan

Ditto to Jordan's observation. MKVII engines were designed to run on LOW AHS oils. However, US fuel is still so high in sulfur and phosphor compounds that VAG does not recommend low ash oils, for their standard 10K OC interval.

I use Valvoline MST 5w-40 mostly in my Golf and have ordered some Motul X-Clean to try when the Valvoline runs out. With 5K mile OC intervals I am not worried about TBN or any other parameter either.

Originally Posted By: TwoWheelRider
Ditto to Jordan's observation. MKVII engines were designed to run on LOW AHS oils. However, US fuel is still so high in sulfur and phosphor compounds that VAG does not recommend low ash oils, for their standard 10K OC interval.

I use Valvoline MST 5w-40 mostly in my Golf and have ordered some Motul X-Clean to try when the Valvoline runs out. With 5K mile OC intervals I am not worried about TBN or any other parameter either.

IMO Valvoline 5W40 MST is better or on par with Motul X-Clean. I use it in summer in BMW and Valvoline is very transparent with their numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back