Can you reuse the exhaust donut gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That donut gasket between the exhaust header and the CAT converter, the one that looks like a half cut donut and is sandwich together by 2 spring loaded bolt. The OEM Helm document say replace it (along with 10 million other stuff like locking nut or fasteners), but most people I know have reused them with no ill effect.

The contact surface on the CAT side seems to be flattened to ths contact surface of the CAT inlet, instead of the round shape of the new gasket. Does that means the gasket is a "crush" gasket? Also how tight should I tighten those 2 spring loaded bolts?

The car has 215k and has not, will not be driven in the snow/salt area.

Dang no one answered this yet? I don't know the specifics of this vehicle, normally best to replace with new. I have reused the donut type before with no problems.

If it is a gasket I would replace.

Like StevieC said, if the donut gasket is in good shape I've used them again, w/o issue.

Darn it. I just put in a new donut since I didn't get any reply yet and was out of time. The old one looks excellent and has shaped into a cone like shape to fit the CAT side. IMO it could easily last another 50-100k miles.

Compare to the new one, it does have some wear on the edges but nothing close to falling out. The new one looks so perfect and shiny in every possible surface, it is probably an even better quality one than the OEM.

Now I better drive the car for another 200k to get the money of the new donut worth.

Well I tried to get an answer back in time. Problem with car projects is cleaning up to get back on the computer to check for an answer to a question.

Or before getting an answer you can't wait anymore and need to get the car together. I am very experienced with cars, but there is so much to know I ask questions just so I can do a job to the best of my abilities.....
I like to to things to the inth degree even though I know I can fake it 95% of the time. It's a blessing and a curse......

Glad you got it together OK. Happy motoring

Don't get me wrong. Still thanks a bunch to you guys because I still learned a lot. This is not the last car in my life and I probably still have to take this apart in the future, if I need to fix other things or replace the CAT, etc.

That is a joint that moves, and yet seals.
Those donuts are usually very hard and reusable.
Of course, your keen eye will tell if this is possible.
The spring bolts generally have a stop or lip for tightening them.
If the new ones do not, copy the old ones length when you tighten the new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back