Prestone All Makes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Prestone All Makes in my father's Toyota minivan and my Saturn SL2. I have not experienced any problems after more than
two years of use.

I'm not taking my chances. I've seen Dex-Cool damage with my own eyes when I used the stuff in a Nissan Quest and a Mercedes 420SEL. We've got 3 Toyotas and 1 Fordsan now, I'm going to switch my LS400 over to Toyota Pink so I can keep 2 coolants on hand instead of 3. Of course I could go Peak Global for all 3 but 1 car will be under warranty for the most part until 150K.

Originally Posted By: TahoeSkiBum
After reading this blog, I googled the prestone all makes and found there is some concern / controversy. I put a fresh engine, radiator and heater core in my 93 explorer and used...what else Prestone all makes antifreeze. After all, I have always used Prestone and assumed it thought it would be best. Turns out that this is an OAT antifreeze and has EH2 acid in it that can eat certain gaskets. I can't understand how a company as old and established as Prestone can promise this is good for all makes and models when Ford says no. Valvoline has sued Prestone over this. I'm reading that Peak Global is the best choice versus Prestone because it doesn't have the acid in it that eats gaskets. I really don't want to flush and refill this vehicle as it is a real pain to burp out the air. Does anyone know specifics about the Prestone product and potential damage?

I dumped Prestone all makes and all models in my nephews 96 ford Explorer 5.0 V-8. Prestone all makes and all models is everywhere and easily accessible. It's been out for a few years. I would think we would hear of alot of problems with this coolant if it existed.

Originally Posted By: cos
I think it's a HOAT formula.
That's a good thing right? I have to say, for me, this coolant thing is one of the most confusing topics on BITOG.

Prestone says all makes, all models and I believe them. I've used it in my Tacoma with a flush of factory fill. I've used in an Altima with a flush of factory fill. I've had no issues in over 5 years with the Tacoma and 2+ years with the Altima.

Seems like many dump on DexCool yet if you read the Xerex chart (link below) on the Valvoline website, it's recommended for all the Asians. It's a good chart, but is it the final authority?

G-05 seems like good stuff for Fords and Chrysler. Is it good for everything? Not according to the Xerex chart. So who knows? All I know is Prestone has worked for me!
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I dumped Prestone all makes and all models in my nephews 96 ford Explorer 5.0 V-8. Prestone all makes and all models is everywhere and easily accessible. It's been out for a few years. I would think we would hear of alot of problems with this coolant if it existed.
I agree.

Xerex Coolant App Chart.

Donald,

I thought it was a HOAT formula to cover the apps that Prestone's DexCool formula didn't. It would make sense from a marketing standpoint. I also thought I read it here on the forum.

As for me, I'll stick with Zerex G-05.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: cos

What makes you think that? Please list a URL.
I called Prestone Friday and they do not make a HOAT coolant. They said that their coolants are all makes all models and in their testing all worked and protected well.

Follow their app charts and you'll be fine.

I went with Peak Global lifetime for my Toyota and will use it plus Subaru conditioner in my Outback.

One coolant to worry about!
happy2.gif

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Donald
cos said:

I went with Peak Global lifetime for my Toyota and will use it plus Subaru conditioner in my Outback.

One coolant to worry about!
happy2.gif

Take care, bill

Some questions. Is PGL an OAT or HOAT? Website says OAT, which is what Prestone All M/M is, correct? Does it come in undiluted form?

It says PGL can be safely used in Ford and Chrysler, but it's not a G-05, correct? Xerex Gold (HOAT) jug is a G-05, correct?

I do see where PGL recommends a flush with change.

Just trying to figure out my future choices.

Thanks J

Peak Global is a OAT but is approved (by Peak) for HOAT apps.

Yes, Global is avail 50/50 or pure (which is the ONLY way I'll by coolant)

Zerex G-05 is a HOAT.

I think with any of these coolants, A flush and drain is the only way to go!

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Peak Global is a OAT but is approved (by Peak) for HOAT apps.

Yes, Global is avail 50/50 or pure (which is the ONLY way I'll by coolant)

Zerex G-05 is a HOAT.

I think with any of these coolants, A flush and drain is the only way to go!

Take care, bill

thumbsup2.gif
Thanks, Bill

J

Prestone all makes (yellow) (and the licensed DexCool clone, orange) in the 150/5 variety is an OAT coolant, incorporating 2-ethylhexanoic acid and ethelene-glycol. No phosphates, borates, silicates or nitrites are included. Like Bill, I recommend the full-strength. Interesting scam, paying the same amount as a year or so ago for 50% water (and I'd bet anything the water isn't distilled). I went through this and got the facts from Prestone directly after the water pump replacement on my last Hyundai after 25k on Zerex G-05. I replaced the dealer swill after the water pump replacement with Prestone 150/5 on a 30K change-out and experienced no further troubles with water pump or cooling system. I traded the car in at 60K, but all was well with it when I did. On my 92 Hyundai Elantra, traded in on the 2005, I ran the car out to 288,000 miles on orange DexCool licensed clone from Prestone on a 30K change out schedule, for me back then, about every 15 months or so. Never a bad water pump, radiator and did one hose changeout of the upper and lower hoses on that car in all that time, and never a heater hose or core did I ever change in all that time and mileage.

DexCool/Prestone's Single OAT is good. Perhaps not for 150,000 miles. Not if you refuse to check for a bad hose, reduced coolant level or if you ignore a spot on the driveway. But if you fail to look after your car or fail to pay someone else to do so, this will happen with whatever coolant you use. It's the rules of cars.

The failures and conditions blamed on directly on DexCool is foolish, nonsensical raving by folks who didn't maintain their cars. Those conditions didn't develop overnight, the rust, the sludge, the ruin, they developed over weeks, months and years of neglect. Then, when these owners' slovenly maintenance habits catch up with them, they sue, berate the product, and whine a lot in places like this and smear the product. If you want to go after the manufacturer over the recommended intervals set up, have at it. But to blame the coolant you never change out is the same as running your oil 50K without raising the stick, adding oil or changing the filter and oil and then blaming the crummy, defective oil. No different.

There's no reason in the world not to drop the coolant every two years or 30K and replace it. It's cheaper than an OCI, after all, especially these days. Funny thing for me is to see the same folks spend $45.00 on synthetic and an expensive filter every 3K because "oil is cheap, engines are expensive" and then get on a coolant forum and complain about the Dexcool that went bad in 3 or 4 or 5 years and 120,000 miles. You can't make this stuff up.

Originally Posted By: toocrazy2yoo
..... Funny thing for me is to see the same folks spend $45.00 on synthetic and an expensive filter every 3K because "oil is cheap, engines are expensive" and then get on a coolant forum and complain about the Dexcool that went bad in 3 or 4 or 5 years and 120,000 miles. You can't make this stuff up.

But when the product claims a life of 5 years/150K, and it fails horribly at a time and mileage before that, there is a big problem. using your example of using synthetic, lets just say for arguments sake, that the expensive $45 synthetic oil you just put in sludges up under normal engine use in less time than the MFG recommended mileage change. Now, does that mean your gonna change your oil out at 1K intervals because you say it will prevent a problem? Or that you were 'neglecting' your engine but not changing it out earlier?
If your product states 5 years, 150K change interval, and your owners manual reflects this, but at say, 50K your coolant system is plugged up with sludge, you don't consider that an issue? Too bad, because enough people had this same problem that resulted in a class action lawsuit. Surely there not everyone involved in that lawsuit "neglected" their cooling system....

Originally Posted By: Tim H.

But when the product claims a life of 5 years/150K, and it fails horribly at a time and mileage before that, there is a big problem. using your example of using synthetic, lets just say for arguments sake, that the expensive $45 synthetic oil you just put in sludges up under normal engine use in less time than the MFG recommended mileage change. Now, does that mean your gonna change your oil out at 1K intervals because you say it will prevent a problem? Or that you were 'neglecting' your engine but not changing it out earlier?
If your product states 5 years, 150K change interval, and your owners manual reflects this, but at say, 50K your coolant system is plugged up with sludge, you don't consider that an issue? Too bad, because enough people had this same problem that resulted in a class action lawsuit. Surely there not everyone involved in that lawsuit "neglected" their cooling system....

Fair enough. But the product doesn't fail horribly. The cooling system fails horribly, and the negligent owner who never raises the hood and never gets the car looked at doesn't notice the damage over months of accumulating effect and corrosion. And I'm obviously the first one to state that a 5yr/150K interval is preposterous. However, with new hoses, and a healthy radiator, maybe the stuff WOULD go that far. But I'd bet there are caveats in the fine print that say the extended interval assumes a healthy cooling system. No blow-by from intakes, head gaskets, or leaks in the system. They probably expect you to keep the expansion tank topped off, so as to allow no air in the system. But does that mean you put the stuff in and forget it for 5 years? Like I said, the damage "caused" by DexCool wasn't damage that took place in a day, a week, or a month. The damage we're seeing in the pix that "prove" DexCool "caused", was in fact preventable by raising the hood and noticing the puke tank was low. By noticing the crud in the expansion tank. And by taking action against a leaky hose, bad radiator cap, or bad head gasket. I'd say it was bad manufacturing practice to go plastic with intake manifolds, too. With that, the inspection periods should be made more frequent. The kind of damage pictured in these rather shaky testimonials against DexCool and it's clones would have occurred no matter the coolant brand because air simply can't be allowed into the system over time. But the damage does occur over long periods of time and neglect. These things need to be looked at once in a while. There's not a reason in the world the hood can't be raised once a month and the oil, coolant, brake and power steering fluids inspected, especially when the reservoirs are all see-through. A twist on the battery post terminals to see if they're tight, a peek at the belts to see if anything is frayed. Grand total? I dunno, 1 minute, thirty seconds? Gimme a break.

The penalty for a breakdown is too severe not to do a minimal inspection under the hood once a month. Especially for the crew that reads here. Folks that don't read here need to get hubby or a gas station, or the dealer to do it for them. And they neglect these things at their peril. These are common sense issues. And to take the motor oil analogy and compare a 1K OCI vs. a 30K coolant change out is rather specious at best. Synthetic oil (or dino either) won't sludge up in one OCI in normal usage at recommended change intervals unless something is SERIOUSLY wrong, like a plugged PCV, and in one OCI not even that. Sludge is another result of prolonged and profound neglect of the engine and maintenance. You can neglect your car per the letter of the schedule put forth by the manufacturer if you wish, but I think it's been shown over and over, you neglect these things at your peril. New cars are better on many, many levels than those of the 90's and earlier. However, they're still cars, they still burn gasoline, they still need cooling systems, the same fluids course through their lines as 60 years ago, and these things still need inspection and these rules will not change. Again, ignore them at your peril..

Fair enough. But the product doesn't fail horribly. The cooling system fails horribly, and the negligent owner who never raises the hood and never gets the car looked at doesn't notice the damage over months of accumulating effect and corrosion.

Again, the product DOES fail, and as a result, causes failure of the cooling system. The average owner looks at his fluids and sees that his levels are up to par and knowing in his heart that the engineers that developed his car, which are supposedly much smarter than he is, have developed and tested that 5yr/150k fluid so he wont have to worry. After all, that is what they are paid for, right? You and I are not what is considered 'average' we are anal-retentive about fluids, hence why we are on this site, but the other 99.99% of people who own cars are not. They believe what they are told from the people whom they feel know their car the best----the Mfg.

And I'm obviously the first one to state that a 5yr/150K interval is preposterous. However, with new hoses, and a healthy radiator, maybe the stuff WOULD go that far. But I'd bet there are caveats in the fine print that say the extended interval assumes a healthy cooling system.

As am I, but isn't that what is installed on your new car? I mean, what is the average time before a radiator or hose becomes unhealthy? 2 years? 3 years? 5 years?

No blow-by from intakes, head gaskets, or leaks in the system. They probably expect you to keep the expansion tank topped off, so as to allow no air in the system. But does that mean you put the stuff in and forget it for 5 years? Like I said, the damage "caused" by DexCool wasn't damage that took place in a day, a week, or a month. The damage we're seeing in the pix that "prove" DexCool "caused", was in fact preventable by raising the hood and noticing the puke tank was low. By noticing the crud in the expansion tank. And by taking action against a leaky hose, bad radiator cap, or bad head gasket. I'd say it was bad manufacturing practice to go plastic with intake manifolds, too. With that, the inspection periods should be made more frequent.

As stated earlier, average Joe will check his fluids and follow his owners manual on changes. And not every Dex-cool sludge monster was a result of a low puke-tank. And when he looks in that puke tank, he may see that sludge and figure its just like oil, gets brown alittle from removing that rust in his system, just like oil removes those nasty deposits. but after all, My oil gets dark way before my quicky-lube place's 3K change sticker says, and those highly paid engineers DID say my coolant was good for 5 years and 150K, so all should be good, right?

The kind of damage pictured in these rather shaky testimonials against DexCool and it's clones would have occurred no matter the coolant brand because air simply can't be allowed into the system over time. But the damage does occur over long periods of time and neglect. These things need to be looked at once in a while. There's not a reason in the world the hood can't be raised once a month and the oil, coolant, brake and power steering fluids inspected, especially when the reservoirs are all see-through. A twist on the battery post terminals to see if they're tight, a peek at the belts to see if anything is frayed. Grand total? I dunno, 1 minute, thirty seconds? Gimme a break.

Personally I have never seen green coolant sludge up and engine like Dexcool does, but I understand what your saying here. And I do think most people do just that, they look. Problem is, when your told something should last XX amount of miles or time, you tend not to worry about it as much.

The penalty for a breakdown is too severe not to do a minimal inspection under the hood once a month. Especially for the crew that reads here. Folks that don't read here need to get hubby or a gas station, or the dealer to do it for them. And they neglect these things at their peril. These are common sense issues. And to take the motor oil analogy and compare a 1K OCI vs. a 30K coolant change out is rather specious at best. Synthetic oil (or dino either) won't sludge up in one OCI in normal usage at recommended change intervals unless something is SERIOUSLY wrong, like a plugged PCV, and in one OCI not even that. Sludge is another result of prolonged and profound neglect of the engine and maintenance. You can neglect your car per the letter of the schedule put forth by the manufacturer if you wish, but I think it's been shown over and over, you neglect these things at your peril. New cars are better on many, many levels than those of the 90's and earlier. However, they're still cars, they still burn gasoline, they still need cooling systems, the same fluids course through their lines as 60 years ago, and these things still need inspection and these rules will not change. Again, ignore them at your peril..

Get a hubby or a gas station?? I am sure the women on this site will perk up on that one, and as for Gas stations? Do you know how many full-service gas stations are left anymore? I highly doubt that the attendant at the local Kum-And-Go is gonna check your oil because you don't know how to, or your 'hubby' ain't around.. Add to that the relative 'maintenance free/low maintenance' that vehicles are advertised with today and it only furthers the way of thought. I look at an owners manual today and I see a maintenance schedule that the MFG feels will allow their product to make it to it's useful life, which with new cars most people I think would agree that 150K and 7 years is about average lifespan of a car serviced by that schedule. Fluids are not the same as they were 60 years ago. Yes, oil is still needed, as is coolant, however, each product is light-years better than what was in 1950. In the '50's oil was changed at a max of 1000 miles. It's what the MFG recommended and it gave the lifespan they figured it would. Nowadays I am being told I can go up to 7500 miles, 10K if is a certain VW. Does that mean I am neglectful if I don't change it out at 1K?intervals?

I've been using the Prestine all makes in the vehicles for awhile now (except the truck which needs G05), doing 30k intervals. Never noticed any corrosion, rust, thickening, or other problems. For a flush I just change it twice using a 50/50 mix.

The premixed stuff is a lot more expensive than mixing yourself, a great product idea for Prestone as it seems popular.

I also think this is a little over-thought. If Prestone All makes was causing issues, don't you think we'd hear so much more about it?

Honestly..Prestone All Makes is about ALL you see anywhere. I use it in my 3 which came with good old green. Did one drain/fill last year and will be doing another one next weekend. No sludge, no crust, color looks good.

Again..I don't think Prestone would be selling something that would be detrimental to so many cars.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81

Again..I don't think Prestone would be selling something that would be detrimental to so many cars.

You wouldn't think that GM would adopt a coolant that would be detrimental to their own vehicles. But they did.

And while Prestone all-makes may not be exactly the same as Dexcool(nobody here really knows for sure), it does use the same OAT additive (2eha) that has been PROVEN to damage certain gaskets. That's enough to convince me not to use the stuff.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I also think this is a little over-thought. If Prestone All makes was causing issues, don't you think we'd hear so much more about it?

Honestly..Prestone All Makes is about ALL you see anywhere. I use it in my 3 which came with good old green. Did one drain/fill last year and will be doing another one next weekend. No sludge, no crust, color looks good.

Same as Fram filters. Good advertizing does wonders I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back