2008 Dodge 6.7 Cummins oil suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you all using for the EGR/emmission equipped Cummins? I just picked one up last week. I think Valvoline Premium Blue is the factory recommended? Just curious waht types of UOA's others are seeing with the soot,etc. that the oil needs to handle.

AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil (DEO)

I don't use it but it would be one of the best. It is an all syn oil.

This is the only one they show in the application guide. I believe the 2007 diesel engines need a different formulation. I am not sure how it is different though.....?

Originally Posted By: oliver88
What are you all using for the EGR/emmission equipped Cummins? I just picked one up last week. I think Valvoline Premium Blue is the factory recommended? Just curious waht types of UOA's others are seeing with the soot,etc. that the oil needs to handle.

Factory recommended for that engine is CJ4 15W40 and 5W40 for cold temps. Lots of choices out there. Mobil/Delvac and Amsoil would be my two picks.

Be SURE it's a CJ-4 rated DEO-your engine has the soot trap, which will be contaminated & ruined by any prior rated oils (such as CH, CI, CI+4). Personally I run Rotella 15W40 dino, but Delvac 1, Rotella Synthetic, Schaeffer's, Delo, & Valvoline Premium Blue/Extreme are all excellent choices. I'm personally going to install a Motor Guard bypass on mine-the oil gets too black too fast for my tastes-due to the multiple injection events to quiet down the ignition.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I'm personally going to install a Motor Guard bypass on mine-the oil gets too black too fast for my tastes-due to the multiple injection events to quiet down the ignition.
I've run lots of diesels that turn the new oil black within minutes, and the oil remains good by lab test for the full expected life of the oil. Isn't the rapid darkening of the oil in your engine due to the exhaust gas recirculation (or doesn't that engine have EGR?). In any case, spend your money as you choose, but I'd only buy a bypass filter if (1) I planned on keeping that truck for over 500k miles, and (2) if I ran extended oil drain intervals with drains determined by lab testing. I'd also put superior filtration on the transmission if automatic.

All the oils you mention are good choices with Rotella maybe the weakest one of the bunch...anyway, one can't go wrong with any of those oils drained at the recommended intervals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ken2
Isn't the rapid darkening of the oil in your engine due to the exhaust gas recirculation

That's the way I understand it. EGR rates are way up on the 07+ trucks due to the EPA mandated reductions in NOx.

I wasn't aware pilot injection contributed to oil darkening /soot loading. Pilot injection is very common on common rail diesel injection systems and actually helps the engine run smoother and cleaner. As I understand it anyway...

I have a standard output 2003 Cummins that is CA engine. It has the same torque as the regular standard output, 10 less HP, but the oil change interval is half as long; 3750 / 7500 instead of 7500 / 15000. The high output has the same longer oil change interval, and all of the engines from 2003 on are using a similar common rail system with pilot injection for lower noise, lower emissions, better power, etc. Evidently for lower NOx the injection cycle is a bit different resulting in lower peak temps, but it evidently also produces more soot, hence the need for shorter change intervals. I recall seeing a reply from Cummins on the issue in a Dodge forum, and he commented that due to the lower peak temps the CA standard output is one of the longer lasting engines.

Dunno how they're doing it on the newer engines.

I started using Delvac 1300, switched to Exxon XD3 Elite for awhile, a synthetic blend, when it wasn't avialble anymore I'd make my own blend with Delvac 1300 and Delvac 1, and now I run Delvac 1 / turbo diesel truck or whatever.

There are millions of semi trucks that their engines cost as much as your whole truck and these guys mostly run Delo 400 Rotella and mobil 1300 and really do not have any problems and the engines seem to be lasting plenty long. I would suggest run dino 15w-40 if it will work in Ohios winters if not 5w-40 and do a couple of uoas then decide. Syn oils are pricy to run short intervals though.

Steve is right. I ran a 1996 Cummins N-14 to 1.4 million miles on Kendall 15w40 with nary a problem. If you are going to change oil at OEM intervals, then go with the traditional stuff.... Delo, Delvac, Rotella dino oils. Synthetics are only cost effective if you are looking for extended drains and running hard and putting on a large amount of miles in a relatively short time frame.

I have an '06 Cummins ISX that is EGR equipped and now have 378,000 miles on it. Oil in these EGR engines goes black within 500-1000 miles. I have been running bypass filtration and, even with 40,000 miles on the oil, I am getting soot levels of <.1% and still have a TBN of 7. The discoloration of the oil means nothing. Just a little unsettling to those that haven't dealt with the EGR equipped diesels. I was concerned early on, but the UOA's showed me that nothing to worry about.

The typical difference between the over-the-road heavy duty semis and light duty vehicles like pickups are the number of cold starts per miles driven. Another obvious one sump size, where dumping oil that costs twice as much on regular intervals can get expensive. If 5w40 helps with cold starts then it's worth it to me, so far at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back