Mercon 5 vs. Mercon SP compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a buddy who while servicing his transmission in his Superduty, was given the wrong fluid at the Ford dealer. Long story short, he ended up with about 5 quarts of Mercon SP in his 4R100 trans that calls for Merc 5. He is going to flush out as much as he can, and replace with fresh Merc 5.

Does anyone here know of any incompatibilities between the two fluids, and of any problems that might arise from the mixing of the two fluids?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
None that I know of.

I am curious....

The Maxlife DEX/Merc ATF I put in my Honda last week states something to the effect of meeting the Mercon SP spec Except for viscosity. It also is listed as an official Merc 5 fluid...

Last edited:
ive read of techs putting SP in trans that dont call for it with no ill effects. however when another trans fluid is put in a trans calling for SP, bad things have happened.

As I recall, Ford says NOT to use Mercon SP or MerconLV in trannies specing MerconV.

Somewhere here a member posted a listing of Ford fluids from the Ford website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
but is it licensed for both specs.

We need a "sarcasm" smiley.
LOL.gif

My comment wasn't intended to be serious. I'm sure the multi-vehicle isn't licensed for either spec.

NOTHING is licensed for Mercon SP except Motorcraft. My regular mechanic flushed in Kendall VersaTrac into the '04's TorqShift, but I had the dealer flush it back out within 15,000 miles once I discovered his mistake. It didn't seem to hurt, but I wouldn't want to risk it again (that sucker runs HOT in summer towing!!)

And, there is no fluid called Mercon 5. It is Mercon V.

Quote:
NOTHING is licensed for Mercon SP except Motorcraft.
Exactly. For example, here's what Schaeffer's #204 All Trans Supreme has on their data sheet..."For Ford Mercon®SP applications: While not a direct substitute for the Ford Mercon® SP fluid, All Trans Supreme has been successfully used in heavily or severely loaded applications where a higher film strength product is need to protect the transmission from wear."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back