New from Raybestos, Now made in China

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered 2 front brake rotors for my sons 2001 focus. I bought Raybestos rotors because I did not want to install the white box Chinese ones. Where the pig iron rotors wear instead of the brake pads.
When I got them, the boxes were different, but with the same P/N. The older looking box indicated the rotor was made in Canada, which made me happy. The newer box, unfortunately said made in China.
Well I tried to buy American, but American let me down. The lure of more profit wins again. It seems like there are varying qualities of Chinese stuff out there. Hopefully Raybestos didn't get too greedy and go to the foundry that produces lopsided hammers.
BTW, I wander what happened to the Canadian plant that used to produce the rotors? I think we all know.
Well I guess I'll see how they work out. I'll put a mike on them before I install. I wish I had access to a hardness tester.

Quote:
The newer box, unfortunately said made in China.

Hopefully the quality won't drop.

The Canadian plant will be closed. The auto parts companies are dropping like flies around here. Closed down, or moved to Mexico. I guess I am partly to blame, as I bought the $29 China rotors for my Explorer. The seem to be lasting as long as the $200 ones from Ford. I consider rotors to be a disposable item now given the low cost. How do you resist that big a price difference.

Since you have one Canada rotor and one China, maybe let us know if they last the same...

Last edited:
Yeah,, I was surprised at the price of my rotors for a 97 Nissan truck.. The stupid semi metallic brake pads were more than the rotors! They seem to look good and perform perfectly.

Its not the consumer thats to blame.. its the company that decides to move to China.

Then again, the way things have been going for China, with their dubious quality that sometimes is outright dangerous, Im not so sure how much longer they can continue.

I disagree. I hope people like Bluestream are the first ones to lose their jobs. Yeah, might make a few people angry saying that, but it is exactly how I feel about it.

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
Yeah,, I was surprised at the price of my rotors for a 97 Nissan truck.. The stupid semi metallic brake pads were more than the rotors! They seem to look good and perform perfectly.

Its not the consumer thats to blame.. its the company that decides to move to China.
Then again, the way things have been going for China, with their dubious quality that sometimes is outright dangerous, Im not so sure how much longer they can continue.

Consumers are cheap. Companies must be concerned about profit and deal with competition. Its a viscious cyle.

Raybestos went china about 2yrs ago. Their USA wheel cylinders are proudly china now. I use them and some part# were machined wrong.

Napa has a white box in Canada. They are Raybestos low line china rotors. They have been fine.

I think professional grade rabyestos ceramics are easier on the rotor aswell as an improvement in braking. Semi metallic bite but eat rotors IMO.

Originally Posted By: alanu

Consumers are cheap. Companies must be concerned about profit and deal with competition. Its a viscious cyle.

It has everything to do with profit and very little to do with the consumer. I just priced a set up raybestos rotors for a car of mine. I got a set 2 or 3 years ago. Made in canada: $39.99. Today the china ones are $45.99.
So their cost of MFG went down 75% and the price went up.

Ya..its the consumers fault.

How come when ever a company moves manufacturing overseas the price at the shelf never reflects this? If they where really doing it to "remain competitive" then wouldnt the prices become more competitive?

What value do the $45 china raybestos rotors offer me over the $29 china duralast rotors? None.

Are you sure the Ford rotors are $200? That's even higher than Brembo blank ($50 when I got them).

Also I think the price increase has to do with the retail store instead of moving to China. IMO they would have raised the price to $45 from $30 regardless of where it is produced, and just drop the supplier that doesn't move to China and get a new brand to take its place instead.

Not really something we can do other than demanding only the highest quality products made locally AND WILLING TO PAY FOR IT. Like the Japanese consumers do.

I had some of the Raybestos Brute stops made in Canada ones on my Taurus SHO. Both front ones developed cracks starting at the edge and going to the hub.

Cheap Chinese AutoZone ones for me.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
....Not really something we can do other than demanding only the highest quality products made locally AND WILLING TO PAY FOR IT. Like the Japanese consumers do.

2 problems with that statement:

1. Most people nowadays either don't pay attention/know the difference, or have the cash anymore (most people rely on cheapest price to an identical-looking part)

2. Availability of said American/Canadian made parts. When Joe Scmhoe goes to his local FLAPS for that rotor he desperately needs and all the stores he visits say " Sorry, it's all we can get" then he has to take whats available.

Originally Posted By: CrAlt

It has everything to do with profit and very little to do with the consumer. I just priced a set up raybestos rotors for a car of mine. I got a set 2 or 3 years ago. Made in canada: $39.99. Today the china ones are $45.99.
So their cost of MFG went down 75% and the price went up.

Ya..its the consumers fault.

How come when ever a company moves manufacturing overseas the price at the shelf never reflects this? If they where really doing it to "remain competitive" then wouldnt the prices become more competitive?

What value do the $45 china raybestos rotors offer me over the $29 china duralast rotors? None.

I'm suprised your "made in Canada" rotors were so cheap. Typically the North American made rotors costs alot more. I am not a consumer, I am a shop operator/tech.

Aimco rotors use to be a good 3x to 4x the price of a china rotor. Even the China made Aimco's are on the spendy side but machining is nice compared to many china rotors.

On my particular toyota Matrix I'll buy Japanese made "mountain" brand rotors if I feel like spending a tad more. If I buy some Napa white box or Aimco china makes I wont complain either.

Another way to look at it is "IF" the factories stayed in North American your $39.99 rotor would be significantly more than $45.99.

If you own a domestic you sadly own a car that will have majority of the parts made in china, taiwan, brazil, mexico etc. For Japanese Imports I can virtually buy all japanese made parts that are competitively priced. On a honda,toyota, nissan etc if your needing a master cylinder you can buy a china made unit or japanese OE one for very little difference in price. What would you purchase if your a shop owner like me that "does not get paid for come backs"?????

I see alot of failiures in china made master cylinders. They are just as bad as rebuilt units that are cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Are you sure the Ford rotors are $200? That's even higher than Brembo blank ($50 when I got them).

As I recall Motorcraft rotors were $99, Ford brand were around $189 (that's Canadian retail)

I wish I got people paying 99 bucks for focus rotors. I make bulk of the money working on fords and chevs but that just "too easy".

I've done a good handful of focus brake jobs and most China rotors are absolutely fine.

Typically the wear on the rotors on the Focus are significant enough to warrant a rotor replacement. You dont save customers money when you try to save them money machining barely within spec original rotors. Coming back for a warped hat and pulsation is very common when you machine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Which ones did you purchase form them. They have a couple of grades of rotors and the cheap ones are from China...

I bought the advanced technology rotors for about $45.00 each. Retail is $117.00. Retail plus labor is what you'll pay if you have a shop install the rotors. Raybestos lists them as their "premium" rotor vs. the professional grade listed as their "standard" rotor. One of the original rotors was crack about half way across the friction surface coming from the outside in. I don't know if they are original, HEAVY corrosion in the cooling channels. Car has about 80K on it.
The rotors from Ford on line were $74.00 each, retail $99.00.

Last edited:
Jetstar, I share your concern and frustration about manufacturing going to China. However, I posted a rant here about 2 years ago regarding the shoddy finish on some new Raybestos premium rotors I purchased back then. They were made in North America and called PG Plus back then. They looked worse than AZ Duralast Golds.

Last fall I bought some of the Advanced Technology ones and also learned of their Chinese origin. However, these Chinese ones had a MUCH better appearance compared to the N.A. ones.

Time will tell if their metallurgy and manufacture will be good. Just like Japan developed to make excellent stuff, maybe China will too.

Where the U.S. ends up is a great mystery.

Best Regards from a former Hoosier flatlander......Indiana, a great place to be FROM!

I just wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing my two front rotors were from different manufacturers. If there's ONE place where things should be matched in pairs, it's the FRONT brakes (and tires).

I'm suprised your "made in Canada" rotors were so cheap. Typically the North American made rotors costs alot more. I am not a consumer, I am a shop operator/tech.

These arnt just rotors.. they are the rotor with the hub built in ..for a RWD car.

Quote:

Another way to look at it is "IF" the factories stayed in North American your $39.99 rotor would be significantly more than $45.99.

Why? They have been in this price range forever. Why would they jump up to $100? Did the people in Canada demand a 100% raise in 2 years time? The only thing Raybestos did was increase their profit margin. They will now use their brand name to continue to charge more. Thats their right..but they arnt getting my money.

Quote:

If you own a domestic you sadly own a car that will have majority of the parts made in china, taiwan, brazil, mexico etc.

Ya i dont think so. My coronet and dart are probably near 100% detroit made. The D150 has alot of Canada made parts in it but ive never seen anything more import then that in it.

I've bought many of the canadian made white box rotors for less then $20 and they seemed to hold up great. They were almost the same price as getting the old ones turned. When my wife's 98 Lesabre needed rotors I tried to buy the same ones, but they said made in China instead. They lasted about 2 weeks before warping. Maybe it was the car, or maybe my wife's drive, but even after having them turned they lasted only a couple weeks before warping again. I broke down and ordered the more expensive Raybestos rotors that are made in the USA and they lasted about 2 months before warping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back